Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Silvan

Default Finally saw Nahmie for first time in 20 years...

Flipping channels for SWMBO, came across a woodworking show on PBS. Ah,
there's Nahmie.

I was surprised he used his TS and dado stack for all the tenons, and the
T&G rails and stiles. Hell, why didn't he just whip out his rail and stile
set for his 5 HP shaper? He pulled out everything else.

Count me a Royd I reckon. I do use power stuff, and there are a few more
power flummies I'd like to acquire, but I REALLY can't see having that much
gadgetry in my shop. I'll bet he spent two full hours off camera jiggling
the settings on all those machines and horking up a huge pile of test
scraps so he could awe his audience by powering noisily through a few feet
of wood with banshee precision.

Where's your sense of creativity Nahmie? And using a utility knife to do a
crap job of rounding the points on the tenons to make them fit in routahed
round holes does not quality. That's what chisels are for, Nahmie.
Chisels. You ever use a chisel? Not since about 1985 I guess.

I used to watch Nahmie and Roy when I was in high school or suchabouts.
Haven't watched either one of them in 20 years. Not planning to bother
finding Roy, but I really ought to make a point to watch one episode for
old time's sake to purify my spirit after sitting through that. Crikey,
Nahmie. Even my ten year old son was shouting "Oh come ON man!" at the TV.

That ain't woodworking, Nahmie, that just ain't woodworking. It's
manufacturing.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

OT-John Kerry Gunner Metalworking 137 February 11th 04 07:38 PM
OT - Gunner Quote Cliff Huprich Metalworking 183 January 27th 04 09:20 AM
What's with Fitch? I'm going to retire. Fitch R. Williams Metalworking 23 December 3rd 03 08:47 PM
Super Volcanoes Gunner Metalworking 1 November 29th 03 01:40 PM