Joe_Stein

Default Weatherproofing a birdhouse

Hi guys,
I've just finished building a birdhouse from a cheap computer desk (talk
about recycling). It's particle board with the plastic(?) coating that
looks like wood. I'd like to weatherproof it. I thought of just slapping
on multiple layers of paint I have laying around. I don't think the
birds will mind. Comments? Suggestions?
TIA
Joe

Baron

Particle board is the wrong "wood" to use for outdoor projects since it
tends to weaken and fall apart when exposed to water. Since you have
already finished the project, an outdoor paint would be fine. Make sure it
is completely cured, about two weeks, before placing outside. Any of the
film forming finishes including paint will be nontoxic once fully cured. If
you really want to go for it, try the epoxy coatings that are made for
marine use. That will completely waterproof it but it is overkill in my
opinion. Lacquer would be the worst film finish that you could use for your
application.

Good Luck.

"Joe_Stein" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi guys,
I've just finished building a birdhouse from a cheap computer desk (talk
about recycling). It's particle board with the plastic(?) coating that
looks like wood. I'd like to weatherproof it. I thought of just slapping
on multiple layers of paint I have laying around. I don't think the
birds will mind. Comments? Suggestions?
TIA
Joe

John DeBoo

The political signs that are plastic but look like corrugated cardboard
boxes make outstanding roofing material for birdhouses. I always knew
there had to be a use for those damned things!

Should have built it out of cedar fencing material, then the weather
won't bother it.

John

Joe_Stein wrote:

Hi guys,
I've just finished building a birdhouse from a cheap computer desk (talk
about recycling). It's particle board with the plastic(?) coating that
looks like wood. I'd like to weatherproof it. I thought of just slapping
on multiple layers of paint I have laying around. I don't think the
birds will mind. Comments? Suggestions?
TIA
Joe

Ba r r y

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:12:48 -0700, John DeBoo
wrote:

The political signs that are plastic but look like corrugated cardboard
boxes make outstanding roofing material for birdhouses.

That's called Coroplast, and it also makes excellent tails for radio
control combat planes. Print shops often give away odd shaped and/or
colored scraps for the asking.

Barry

Phisherman

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:48:17 GMT, Joe_Stein
wrote:

Hi guys,
I've just finished building a birdhouse from a cheap computer desk (talk
about recycling). It's particle board with the plastic(?) coating that
looks like wood. I'd like to weatherproof it. I thought of just slapping
on multiple layers of paint I have laying around. I don't think the
birds will mind. Comments? Suggestions?
TIA
Joe

Paint will help protect it. Do not paint the inside. An asphalt roof
shingle on top will provide added protection.
Rob Sluys

Joe_Stein wrote in news:ljWAd.7204$qf5.4176
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Hi guys,
I've just finished building a birdhouse from a cheap computer desk (talk
about recycling). It's particle board with the plastic(?) coating that
looks like wood. I'd like to weatherproof it. I thought of just slapping
on multiple layers of paint I have laying around. I don't think the
birds will mind. Comments? Suggestions?
TIA
Joe

Tyvek HouseWrap.. works great.