Dan White

Default Anyone familiar with Kitchenmaid stains?

I am purchasing a Kitchenmaid cabinet (yeah, I know, I'm supposed to make my
own). It as moss green glaze on bead board. I am running about another 40'
of bead board and want to match it to the cabinet. Kitchemaid sells 4x8
sheets of glazed beadboard for about $350 each! HD carries 4x8 beadboard
for $20 each and has a 5 mm veneer of birch, supposedly unfinished. Since
the purchased cabinet is also birch, I should have a good chance of matching
the cabinet color on the HD beadboard by buying a glaze "kit" from
Kitchenmaid. I guess it is a 2 or 3 step process and costs about $120 per
quart of stain and glaze.

I'm leaning towards giving it a try (buy HD birch beadboard and stain/glaze
it) rather than spending over $1000 on 3 4x8 glazed panels.

Any experiences with this stuff?

Thanks,
dwhite

Old Nick

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:21:46 -0500, "Dan White"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Maybe, but will they admit to it? (snicker)

oh.... sorry. You're not OT. Woodworking stuff....sorry
BobS

Dan,

Last year I made raised panel cabinet and drawer fronts for my sister-in-law
copied from the Kitchenaid ones you mentioned and in the same green moss
color. When it came to finishing the fronts, I called Kitchenaid and tried
to purchase the stain they used. No good, they would not sell it. Seems
all their finishing is outsourced and the stain is proprietary to that
company.

Tried a number of attempts at making our own stain but never could get the
color just right and Kitchenaid would not give any clues as to what
basecoats were used and they didn't offer any glazing kits at the time.
After a lot of wasted effort, I went to Lowes, took the sample display panel
from the Kitchenaid display up to the paint dept and asked them to match it
with a quality, latex paint. In about 10 minutes, we had a perfect match in
gloss and color and it was perfect. We painted some on the back of the
display door and after it dried, you could not see the difference.

We primed everything and then applied two coats by brush and they came out
looking great. There were two versions of that moss green color scheme. One
being a everything moss green and the other having some worn / rubbed /
antique look to parts of the doors. I did a set of doors so they would look
like the ones on the Kitchenaid display as examples for my SIL and I came
pretty close. Door was primed using a white based primer to which I added a
smidgen of the moss green paint to tint it ever so slightly. The whole door
was primed and allowed to dry.

Next, in selected areas like the door edges (high wear areas) and near the
pull handle, I applied some burnt-umber artists paints (acrylic) by just
ragging and wiping an area like the door edge. After everything was dry, I
applied the first coat of finish thinned down to the max as per the
instructions. After it had set for ~15 mins or so, I gently rubbed over the
areas that I had applied the burnt-umber color using a damp cloth and just
barely allowing the burnt-umber color to show through. After everything
dried (24 hours) I did a final sanding using a 400 grit so as to wear away
some paint and feather the edges where we wanted the worn areas to be
exposed.

Final finish coat (thinned) was applied and using an artists brush
(fan-tail) we brushed away the paint from the areas where the burnt umber
was applied leaving just enough moss green color so it tinted the brown area
ever so slightly and so that it looked realistically worn. It did look good
but is very time consuming and doing 40 door fronts this way was not my
SIL's idea of having fun - so they were painted with no artistic
expression....

The glazing kit sounds like the best bang for the buck and the above is an
alternative idea that also may work.

Bob S.

"Dan White" wrote in message
[...]

Dan White

Wow! Isn't the internet great? I didn't really think I'd find anyone who
was trying to do the same thing I was. I did make a little progress. On
further inspection of the HD unfinished birch beadboard, I found that the
bin that was marked "unfinished" was mostly full of finished boards, and the
next bin also was, but was missing its label. So basically I was right.
Those panels were finished, but there were 4 of 5 panels underneath the
others, and these were clearly unfinished! Mystery solved. After seeing
these panels I'm pretty sure the Kitchenmaid glaze kit will come out looking
like the factory cabinets. I don't think I'm up for your method, which
might be too much for a total of about 60' x 3' of bead board! It is
interesting that they didn't sell it last year. It is listed in the HD
books.

thanks for replying,
dwhite

"Dan White" wrote in message
[...]

G.E.R.R.Y.

I think Bill Clinton is very familiar with stains, ;-)

Gerry