J T

Default Low-Buck Alternative

I got a Woodcraft flyer yesterday, and was looking thru it, and
started checking some of the prices. Ouch. Pricey. A lot of it is way
too pricey for my lifestyle. A face shield on sale for $17.99 - looke
just like the one I got several years ago from HF, for about $5. Trash
can cyclone lid on sale for $23.99 - that I figure I could dupe for
probably less than $10.

But, one thing I totally can't justify me putting out money for was
the Flexcut knives.
http://amos.shop.com/cc.class/cc?sea...=flexcut+knife

I made some knives, along similar lines, for basically nothing. I
cut some leftover plywood into strips, about 1/2-34" wide, and 4-5"
long, then slotted one end. Snapped an old bandsaw blade into lengths
about 2-3", then some Titebond II, and glued the pieces into the plywood
"handles". Once the glue has set, no prob grinding profiles on the
"blades" and sharpening them - probably even a belt sander would work
for that. You can even knock down the edges of the "handles" to round
them a bit. Granted they're not as classy, and might break easier, but
the plusses are, about the only cost to make is time, you can copy the
Flexcut profiles or make your own, you can make extras for "just in
case" you break one, and you made your own. Downside? - none for me.

JOAT
People without "things" are just intelligent animals.