Dan Valleskey

Default cut ups

You might get a chuckle out of this. Tomorrow afternoon I'm having
the Cub Scout Den in my shop, our activity is pocket knife safety.
And then we will try to make some crafty stuff using our knives. I
was trying out a few different things this afternoon, as preparation,
when I slipped and half cut off the tip of my left index finger. Ben
(9 y.o.) was in the shop, he got to learn a few new words, I sopped up
the blood, eventually decided it could make do without stitches.

This evening, after dinner, I was putting some finishing touches on
another carving item, when I slipped and made a new gash, about an
inch below the first one. Ben was in the shop again, of course, if
there were any words he didn't learn this afternoon, the evening
edition taught him the rest of them.

I can only plead blindness. I'm not usually clumsy in the shop,
considering the bloodless pile of sawdust I swept up early today, I
think I proved I can keep my fingers intact on my hand. But I lost my
regular glasses the other day, I think the baby (she is 4, but still
my baby) walked off with them. So I've been working with my reading
glasses. Nothing is where my hands think it is, exactly, I misjudge
distance often. I have a very old pair of glasses I could wear, but
they are not much better.

Maybe tomorrow I'll keep my hands off tools. If any of the Cub Scouts
ask why I have big band aids on my finger, I'll make up a story about
it. Oh wait, that won't work, Ben knows the real story. He won't
keep his mouth shut if he has a chance to make me look like a goober
in front of his buddies.

-Dan
Patriarch

Dan Valleskey valleskey at comcast dot net wrote in
:

snip of an all too believable story of blood and horror...

I have friends who give me crap about having maybe six or seven pairs of
glasses, some for every occaision. There are too many times in life when
having the wrong, or no, pair of glasses is, at very least, a threat to
peace of mind, if not to life and limb.

I mean, have you ever tried to play golf wearing bifocals? ;-)

Patriarch,
who doesn't need an excuse to slice a finger, or a Titleist...

JGS

You know Patriarch, I think it's a guy thing. I have been wearing my
bifocals for years (except when golfing were I have a pair just for distance)
and I have 5 pair scattered around the house /shop but most of my buddies go
around pretending they don't need theirs. As we are all 60ish I know this is
bull. They will admit that other important organs don't work as well as they
use to but their eyes are just fine.
I often feel like batting them on the side of the head for not using them to
prevent a screw up. As a recent example,
One of the guys came by the shop last week offering to help out on a
project that I was running close to the deadline. I set him to work making
drawers using a pile of white oak and maple I had spent a day of so resawing
and planing. I gave him the plans and set him loose. An hour later he calls
me over and asks what is wrong with the plan. I checked and their was nothing
wrong with the plan. I point to the plan , at which point he puts his glasses
on, and I show him that photo 7a says to dado a groove 1/4 " in from the end
on 3 pieces while 7b says to rabbit a groove on the end of one piece. Oops!
he says. I guess I should of put my glasses on. That removed any question as
to whither or not the dresser would be ready for Christmas. Cheers, JG

Patriarch wrote:

Dan Valleskey valleskey at comcast dot net wrote in
:

snip of an all too believable story of blood and horror...

I have friends who give me crap about having maybe six or seven pairs of
glasses, some for every occaision. There are too many times in life when
having the wrong, or no, pair of glasses is, at very least, a threat to
peace of mind, if not to life and limb.

I mean, have you ever tried to play golf wearing bifocals? ;-)

Patriarch,
who doesn't need an excuse to slice a finger, or a Titleist...

Upscale

"Dan Valleskey" valleskey at comcast dot net wrote in message

You might get a chuckle out of this. Tomorrow afternoon I'm having
the Cub Scout Den in my shop, our activity is pocket knife safety.
keep his mouth shut if he has a chance to make me look like a goober
in front of his buddies.

Take advantage of it. What better example of teaching them what not to do
than showing them graphic examples. You can start of the lesson by telling
them that even the most capable person can have an accident if they don't
follow the safety rules.

George

"Patriarch" wrote in message

I mean, have you ever tried to play golf wearing bifocals? ;-)

Or judge fly balls in the outfield?

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

On 12/27/2004 9:02 PM Dan Valleskey wrote:

I can only plead blindness. I'm not usually clumsy in the shop,
considering the bloodless pile of sawdust I swept up early today,

Oh -- you keep sawdust on your shop floor to sop up blood with, too?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
-- Bertolt Brecht
------------------------------------
Norman D. Crow

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Dan Valleskey valleskey at comcast dot net wrote in
:

snip of an all too believable story of blood and horror...

I have friends who give me crap about having maybe six or seven pairs of
glasses, some for every occaision. There are too many times in life when
having the wrong, or no, pair of glasses is, at very least, a threat to
peace of mind, if not to life and limb.

I mean, have you ever tried to play golf wearing bifocals? ;-)

Bleah! LOML talked me into going "lineless" when I had to go to tri-focals
while still driving truck. Learned REAL FAST that you have to be looking
almost directly at what you want to see, no more looking out the sides.
First time I tried backing into a dock where I had to stick my head out the
window and bend it around the corner, I learned to take 'em off and throw
'em on the passenger seat until I was done backing in.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:06:35 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
calmly ranted:

Patriarch" wrote in message
I mean, have you ever tried to play golf wearing bifocals? ;-)

Bleah! LOML talked me into going "lineless" when I had to go to tri-focals
while still driving truck. Learned REAL FAST that you have to be looking
almost directly at what you want to see, no more looking out the sides.
First time I tried backing into a dock where I had to stick my head out the
window and bend it around the corner, I learned to take 'em off and throw
'em on the passenger seat until I was done backing in.

I firmly believe that the lineless lenses were developed by someone'
who either didn't -ever- turn his head, rely on any kind of peripheral
vision whatsoever, and who had no other visual impairments. Any folks
who live their lives that way will get along just fine in them.

I spent two weeks in HELL trying to adapt to them before forcing my
optometrist to replace them with nice, 100%-of-the-lens-viewable
bifocals. I have astigmatism in both eyes and there was no correction
for that in any part of the lens but the very center 10%. Driving was
hell, laying a tape measure was hell, hanging a picture was hell, ad
nauseum. I'd like to castrate the guy (or something equivalent to the
woman) who dreamed them up. I had a stiff neck for a week after I quit
using the damned things.

Grrr! $485 pair of totally useless glasses MY ASS!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

WoodchuckCanuck

Dan Valleskey wrote:
snip
But I lost my
regular glasses the other day, I think the baby (she is 4, but still
my baby) walked off with them. So I've been working with my reading
glasses. Nothing is where my hands think it is, exactly, I misjudge
distance often. I have a very old pair of glasses I could wear, but
they are not much better.

snip

Dan,

Like Upscale said, make this a good opportunity to teach others. Your
glasses are a tool...of sorts. I've heard it said that a dull knife is
more dangerous than a sharp knife. I think your under-prescribed
glasses may be a case in point.
Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
http://www.WoodchuckCanuck.com

Patriarch

"George" george@least wrote in :

"Patriarch" wrote in message

I mean, have you ever tried to play golf wearing bifocals? ;-)

Or judge fly balls in the outfield?

I gave up softball when I hurt myself too often fielding the ball. 15
years ago now, or more? It was another hobby at which I went more than a
little overboard.

Maybe there's a trend here somewhere...

Patriarch
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip
I firmly believe that the lineless lenses were developed by someone'
who either didn't -ever- turn his head, rely on any kind of peripheral
vision whatsoever, and who had no other visual impairments. Any folks
who live their lives that way will get along just fine in them.

Vanity. It's all vanity. No one wants to admit that they are middle-aged.

As if the other indicators weren't readily apparent...;-)

Patriarch
Swingman

"Patriarch" wrote in message

Vanity. It's all vanity. No one wants to admit that they are

middle-aged.

Damn ... if I still could, I would.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Problem? You can't take an old pair of frames into the optician and get
+1.25 bottoms and clear tops. You have to go to an optometrist to get a
friggin prescrip!

Amen bruddah. I hear your pain. My lenses are getting a little scratched
up, and I need new ones. These glasses are FINE. But I can't go get new
lenses without horking up a gob of cash to pay for an eye exam, 'cause my
script is over two years old.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Charlie Self

Swingman responds:

"Patriarch" wrote in message

Vanity. It's all vanity. No one wants to admit that they are

middle-aged.

Damn ... if I still could, I would.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda cause it's too damned late now.

Time may not have wings, but it does take wing and fly...away.

Charlie Self
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Dave O'Heare

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I firmly believe that the lineless lenses were developed by someone'
who either didn't -ever- turn his head, rely on any kind of peripheral
vision whatsoever, and who had no other visual impairments. Any folks
who live their lives that way will get along just fine in them.

I spent two weeks in HELL trying to adapt to them before forcing my
optometrist to replace them with nice, 100%-of-the-lens-viewable
bifocals.

Larry:

It may simply be that those particular lenses weren't the right ones for
you.

I have been wearing lineless bifocals for a few years now. When I had to
replace my lenses this year, I asked my optometrist if there were cheaper
alternatives, seeing as I don't have medical insurance coverage any more.

She set me up with a pair of rather cheaper lenses, and it was an almost
unmitigated disaster. I couldn't read, I could drive okay but I had
problems walking, especially going downstairs. It was awful.

She did tell me, though, that there was a tryout period on *all* bifocal
lenses that they carried.

So, I went back, ponied up the extra bucks, and have been happy with the
lenses ever since. SWMBO tells me that I don't look like somebody who wears
bifocals when I'm reading; I just read.

And yes, I have astigmatisms in both eyes, one 30 degrees off vertical and
one about 40 the other way, one astigmatism is radical (+2.25).

Cheers.

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca

John Grossbohlin

"Dan Valleskey" valleskey at comcast dot net wrote in message

You might get a chuckle out of this. Tomorrow afternoon I'm having
the Cub Scout Den in my shop, our activity is pocket knife safety.

I'm going to have 8 Weblos to instruct Thursday... I made a conscious
decision to stick with relatively low risk tools: coping saw, back saw,
block plane, sand paper, compass, ruler, pencil, vise, clamps.

I did a one-on-one with my son for pocket knives, whittling, and using
carving tools. That instruction took hyper vigilance and 8 kids would have
been 7 too many. There is no way I'd subject myself to a den full of kids
with knives... I plan for success! ;-)

John

Dan Valleskey

I held it right up, no sense trying to weasel out of it.
They got a laugh out of it too.

We made mice- carved, basswood. Two small cuts, besides mine.

-Dan

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 05:59:43 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Dan Valleskey" valleskey at comcast dot net wrote in message

You might get a chuckle out of this. Tomorrow afternoon I'm having
the Cub Scout Den in my shop, our activity is pocket knife safety.
keep his mouth shut if he has a chance to make me look like a goober
in front of his buddies.

Take advantage of it. What better example of teaching them what not to do
than showing them graphic examples. You can start of the lesson by telling
them that even the most capable person can have an accident if they don't
follow the safety rules.

Dan Valleskey

It was .... okay. Had two moms to help. 6 boys. two small cuts.

They needed to have it for a woodchip card, so they can carry their
knives to camp.

The shop thing comes next month. Bat houses, I think. Last year
(with eight year olds, and one dad per kid) we did bird houses, used
air nailers, drills, power screw drivers, but the table saw cuts were
done ahead of time by me and another dad.

I've let the boys use the stationary belt sander on pinewood cars.
They use the drill press. Scroll saw. Band saw I use, though I
offered it once to a Webelos. He declined using it, no big deal.

-Dan

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:00:03 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"Dan Valleskey" valleskey at comcast dot net wrote in message
.. .

You might get a chuckle out of this. Tomorrow afternoon I'm having
the Cub Scout Den in my shop, our activity is pocket knife safety.

I'm going to have 8 Weblos to instruct Thursday... I made a conscious
decision to stick with relatively low risk tools: coping saw, back saw,
block plane, sand paper, compass, ruler, pencil, vise, clamps.

I did a one-on-one with my son for pocket knives, whittling, and using
carving tools. That instruction took hyper vigilance and 8 kids would have
been 7 too many. There is no way I'd subject myself to a den full of kids
with knives... I plan for success! ;-)

John

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:59:14 -0500, "Dave O'Heare"
oheareATmagmaDOTca calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
I firmly believe that the lineless lenses were developed by someone'
who either didn't -ever- turn his head, rely on any kind of peripheral
vision whatsoever, and who had no other visual impairments. Any folks
who live their lives that way will get along just fine in them.

I spent two weeks in HELL trying to adapt to them before forcing my
optometrist to replace them with nice, 100%-of-the-lens-viewable
bifocals.

Larry:

It may simply be that those particular lenses weren't the right ones for
you.

No, they had failed to tell me that only the center portion of the
lens (Varilux) had any correction in it. I wanted to rip the gal's
head off since she was the one who should have let me in on that
little secret. I could have told her it would n't work for me without
two weeks worth of trial, hassle, headaches, neck aches, and total.
frustration.

I have been wearing lineless bifocals for a few years now. When I had to
replace my lenses this year, I asked my optometrist if there were cheaper
alternatives, seeing as I don't have medical insurance coverage any more.

She set me up with a pair of rather cheaper lenses, and it was an almost
unmitigated disaster. I couldn't read, I could drive okay but I had
problems walking, especially going downstairs. It was awful.

Ditto here. I couldn't even see the rear view mirrors in the truck
without turning my head each time, and I did that half a dozen times a
minute. Long eyelashes probably contributed to my problem with the
lenses, but overall it was a complete fiasco.

Eff that noise, and Off with their heads!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked.
----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Lee Michaels

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Long eyelashes probably contributed to my problem with the
lenses, but overall it was a complete fiasco.

Maybe if you change your brand of mascara and eyeliner, the long eye lashes
wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip

No, they had failed to tell me that only the center portion of the
lens (Varilux) had any correction in it.

When the eye doc I've been seeing for 15 years was out of the office on
holiday, and his associate saw me, I learned a lot of things about my eyes,
my glasses, and the problems I'd been having. She is _really_ good; a mom
who wanted to stay current and busy, but only work one to four days a
month.

My new glasses are ready to pick up now. I'd have gotten them today, if I
could have gotten the glaze to cover decently on this latest blanket chest.
I _HATE_ it when the finish changes radically in mid-project! What was
supposed to be a simple project with the DIL has gotten to be a finishing
nightmare, what with the cold-for-northern-California weather this week.

We'll see how things work in a post-Varilux world.

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:31:22 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
calmly ranted:

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Long eyelashes probably contributed to my problem with the
lenses, but overall it was a complete fiasco.

Maybe if you change your brand of mascara and eyeliner, the long eye lashes
wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Yeah, I'll switch to a limp mascara. That'll do the trick!
Gee, thanks, Lee!

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

Edwin Pawlowski

"Patriarch" wrote in message

Vanity. It's all vanity. No one wants to admit that they are
middle-aged.

As if the other indicators weren't readily apparent...;-)

Patriarch

I liked turning 50. Sort of gave me certain rights as a mature citizen.
Next year will be 60. I'm actually looking forward to it. Sure,
physically I'm seeing limitations, but that is a little offset by the wisdom
that comes with age. Perhaps my vanity works differently, but I kind of
like it when the guys at work say "ask Ed, he'll know what to do". I just
don't want to turn into some mean old ******* that people throw stones at.
Ed

Norman D. Crow

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Patriarch" wrote in message

Vanity. It's all vanity. No one wants to admit that they are
middle-aged.

As if the other indicators weren't readily apparent...;-)

Patriarch

I liked turning 50. Sort of gave me certain rights as a mature citizen.
Next year will be 60. I'm actually looking forward to it. Sure,
physically I'm seeing limitations, but that is a little offset by the

wisdom
that comes with age. Perhaps my vanity works differently, but I kind of
like it when the guys at work say "ask Ed, he'll know what to do". I

just
don't want to turn into some mean old ******* that people throw stones at.
Ed

Yep, my kids (all of them) think Dad can either fix anything or tell them
how to. Not at all uncommon for one of the SIL's to call & pick my brain,
although they are all good mechanics in their own right.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Upscale

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

Yep, my kids (all of them) think Dad can either fix anything or tell them
how to. Not at all uncommon for one of the SIL's to call & pick my brain,
although they are all good mechanics in their own right.

How do you protect that perception when you screw something up?

Norman D. Crow

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

Yep, my kids (all of them) think Dad can either fix anything or tell

them
how to. Not at all uncommon for one of the SIL's to call & pick my

brain,
although they are all good mechanics in their own right.

How do you protect that perception when you screw something up?

Moi? Nah! I make sure they never see it, or blame it on them if they can't
do what I told them and get it right.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

CW

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip
I firmly believe that the lineless lenses were developed by someone'
who either didn't -ever- turn his head, rely on any kind of peripheral
vision whatsoever, and who had no other visual impairments. Any folks
who live their lives that way will get along just fine in them.

Vanity. It's all vanity. No one wants to admit that they are

middle-aged.

As if the other indicators weren't readily apparent...;-)

I had bifocals when I was 6 years old.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:24:13 -0800, "CW"
calmly ranted:

"Patriarch" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip
I firmly believe that the lineless lenses were developed by someone'
who either didn't -ever- turn his head, rely on any kind of peripheral
vision whatsoever, and who had no other visual impairments. Any folks
who live their lives that way will get along just fine in them.

Vanity. It's all vanity. No one wants to admit that they are

middle-aged.

As if the other indicators weren't readily apparent...;-)

I had bifocals when I was 6 years old.

Same here, primarily for the reading lens. My eyes tended to cross
a bit when reading.