Stewart Schooley

Default Tracing lines on to wood

Here's a quick way to transfer lines to wood and very cheap in the long
run because if you keep the caps on artist's oil paint tubes they will
last for years and years.

Put a rag on your finger and rub oil paint directly from the tube on the
back of the paper-just behind where the lines are.

Rub it on and then smooth it with a rag until it feels dry to the touch.
A matter of seconds.

Lay the paper on the wood- oil paint side down-and trace over your lines
with a pencil. You don't have to press hard.

A cheaper tube of "student grade" oil paint will cost about $3.00. A
bargain in cost as well as time and effort if you plan to do much
tracing over the coming years.

I'll put a photo on the binary pape.

Stewart
SonomaProducts.com

Congratulations... you invented carbon paper!

Doug Miller

In article , Stewart Schooley wrote:
Here's a quick way to transfer lines to wood and very cheap in the long
run because if you keep the caps on artist's oil paint tubes they will
last for years and years.

[snip]

I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?

--
Regards,

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:yBHyd.3164

I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?

--
Regards,

I think you have to be over 50 to use carbon paper.

Doug Miller

In article , "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:yBHyd.3164

I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?

--
Regards,

I think you have to be over 50 to use carbon paper.

I'm not quite there yet, but I certainly remember it. Haven't used it for a
while, but I'm sure I still have a few sheets hanging around somewhere.

--
Regards,

Todd Fatheree

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:yBHyd.3164

I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?

--
Regards,

I think you have to be over 50 to use carbon paper.

Well, I'm a baker's dozen shy of 50, and we used it in my Typing I class in
high school.

todd

Fred

I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?

--
Regards,

I think you have to be over 50 to use carbon paper.

Well, I'm a baker's dozen shy of 50, and we used it in my Typing I

class in
high school.

todd

My God, do they still even make carbon paper? I found some at the
office the other day and some of the younger clerks didn't even know
what it was.

Fred

Stewart Schooley

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Stewart Schooley wrote:

Here's a quick way to transfer lines to wood and very cheap in the long
run because if you keep the caps on artist's oil paint tubes they will
last for years and years.

[snip]

I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?

--
Regards,

Doug,

I am 73 so I think I know about carbon paper. I remember it as coming in
only one color. With this method you can transfer any woodgrain color
you want.

My hobby is restoring antique radios and often there is a situation
where some wood, strips across a speaker grill come to mind, have to be
replaced. If you can't find the exact wood you could;

Paint a piece of wood a light yellow-brown color.
Find your woodgrain on the internet and print it out in black and white.
Use this method to trace the woodgrain on the paper. Otherwise the grain
lines have to be painted by hand.
Add some spray toner if needed and apply your finish

Who knows. maybe someone here will have a restoration project where this
could be useful. I lurk here and post when information I have might be
useful to someone here. If it doesn't apply to any of your interests,
ignore it.

Check out this site. http://pages.cthome.net/ptf/photofin/photoFinish.html

It is very primitive and soon will be updated with lots more complete
information and pictures. Some way want to try it out and turn a cheap
wood box into something that looks like it was made of expensive woods.
Most will not. All I do is post information for everyones consideration.
Again, if it isn't useful to you. ignore it.

BTW, I am an artist and retired art teacher. I'll post a couple pictures
on the binary page showing my woodgrain artwork.

Stewart

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stewart Schooley" wrote in message
I am 73 so I think I know about carbon paper. I remember it as coming in
only one color. With this method you can transfer any woodgrain color you
want.

My hobby is restoring antique radios and often there is a situation where
some wood, strips across a speaker grill come to mind, have to be replaced.
If you can't find the exact wood you could;

Paint a piece of wood a light yellow-brown color.
Find your woodgrain on the internet and print it out in black and white.
Use this method to trace the woodgrain on the paper. Otherwise the grain
lines have to be painted by hand.
Add some spray toner if needed and apply your finish

(and I reply)
Thanks for the additional information. First time around you gave us a
solution to a problem we didn' tknow we had. Now you have supplied us with
a great tip for restoration work or specialty decorative trim.
Ed

Swingman

"Fred" wrote in message

My God, do they still even make carbon paper? I found some at the
office the other day and some of the younger clerks didn't even know
what it was.

When's the last time you've seen a bottle of "White Out"?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:56:17 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message

My God, do they still even make carbon paper? I found some at the
office the other day and some of the younger clerks didn't even know
what it was.

When's the last time you've seen a bottle of "White Out"?

There's a new product that makes "white-out" look dark ages, it's like
"correct-tape" with its own dispenser". It's handy for things like
envelopes or fixing handwriting mistakes.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:yBHyd.3164

I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?

--
Regards,

I think you have to be over 50 to use carbon paper.

Nah, I'm 36 and I remember using it when I was 10 or 12.

Mark Jerde

Stewart Schooley wrote:
Here's a quick way to transfer lines to wood and very cheap in the
long run because if you keep the caps on artist's oil paint tubes
they will last for years and years.

Most all the replies here have said, "That's carbon paper." Thought at 45 I
am old enough to have used (and probably still have in several boxes g)
carbon paper, I think you came up with something novel and different.

- Your technique puts the transfer agent where it is needed; carbon paper
always left smudges all over my seconds.

- I've only seen carbon paper in 8.5" x 11" sheets. Your technique is
limited only by the size of the paper. I own a printer that can print 24"
wide by a mile long. Tom Plamann (an inspiration to us all g) has a
printer that can make a printout 54" wide by a mile long.

http://plamann.com/sys-tmpl/scrapboo...book&UID=10013
Your technique works for large format printers; carbon paper, though
similar, fails entirely.

Thanks for thinking. I saved your post. ;-)

-- Mark

"Fred" wrote in message

My God, do they still even make carbon paper? I found some at the
office the other day and some of the younger clerks didn't even know
what it was.

When's the last time you've seen a bottle of "White Out"?

Yes, they still make carbon paper. But the place(s) to look for it are
in fabric stores, craft stores and Woodcraft. I particularly like the
stuff that comes from fabric stores since it comes in multiple colors.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 04:25:37 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

Stewart Schooley wrote:
[...]

Woodcraft has carbon paper is much larger sheets for tracing
woodworking projects.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

CW

Go to a fabric store. 36" wide by however long a roll is.

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
- I've only seen carbon paper in 8.5" x 11" sheets.

Mark Jerde

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
- I've only seen carbon paper in 8.5" x 11" sheets.

I'm still surprised. ;-) The OP came up with a DIY method that:
- is super cheap.
- doesn't require aligning another layer.
- doesn't have the possibility of putting marks where not intended.
- is trivially easy to store.

IMO bseg xRECers should be doing cartwheels about the OP's brainstorm.

-- Mark

Stewart Schooley

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message

- I've only seen carbon paper in 8.5" x 11" sheets.

I'm still surprised. ;-) The OP came up with a DIY method that:
- is super cheap.
- doesn't require aligning another layer.
- doesn't have the possibility of putting marks where not intended.
- is trivially easy to store.

IMO bseg xRECers should be doing cartwheels about the OP's brainstorm.

-- Mark

Mark, does OP mean "Old Poster"?

Stewart

Guess who

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:23:50 -0500, Stewart Schooley
wrote:

Mark, does OP mean "Old Poster"?

"Original" poster.

Mark Jerde

Mark, does OP mean "Old Poster"?

LOL! It could, but I don't know if it does. ;-) Common usage is Original
Poster.

-- Mark

igor

On 23 Dec 2004 19:00:26 -0800, "
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:yBHyd.3164

I guess you're too young to have ever seen carbon paper, huh?

--
Regards,

I think you have to be over 50 to use carbon paper.

Nah, I'm 36 and I remember using it when I was 10 or 12.

Perhaps the question is whether one remembers when carbon paper was the
only option -- i.e., before photo copiers? Just an idle thought.

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
- I've only seen carbon paper in 8.5" x 11" sheets.

I'm still surprised. ;-) The OP came up with a DIY method that:
- is super cheap.
- doesn't require aligning another layer.
- doesn't have the possibility of putting marks where not intended.
- is trivially easy to store.

IMO bseg xRECers should be doing cartwheels about the OP's brainstorm.

-- Mark

Part of the confusion is that OP didn't describe up front what he was
using the method for. For faux graining wood it makes a lot of sense.
As a substitute for carbon paper, it's less useful, as a number of the
followups pointed out.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Jeffrey Picciotto

Perhaps the question is whether one remembers when carbon paper was the
only option -- i.e., before photo copiers? Just an idle thought.

Only option?? Am I the only one who remembers mimeograph machines?

--jeff

Mike Marlow

"Jeffrey Picciotto" wrote in message

Perhaps the question is whether one remembers when carbon paper was the
only option -- i.e., before photo copiers? Just an idle thought.

Only option?? Am I the only one who remembers mimeograph machines?

--jeff

Ahhhh... the sweet aroma of mimeograph paper just before a test...
--

-Mike-

Morris Dovey

Jeffrey Picciotto wrote:

Perhaps the question is whether one remembers when carbon
paper was the only option -- i.e., before photo copiers?

Only option?? Am I the only one who remembers mimeograph
machines?

Not to mention the old Bruning copy machines and the more compact
Hectograph...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Silvan

Jeffrey Picciotto wrote:

Perhaps the question is whether one remembers when carbon paper was the
only option -- i.e., before photo copiers? Just an idle thought.

Only option?? Am I the only one who remembers mimeograph machines?

I wonder how many kids could have been rocket scientists but for sniffing
those papers?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 09:12:30 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
calmly ranted:

"Jeffrey Picciotto" wrote in message

Perhaps the question is whether one remembers when carbon paper was the
only option -- i.e., before photo copiers? Just an idle thought.

Only option?? Am I the only one who remembers mimeograph machines?

--jeff

Ahhhh... the sweet aroma of mimeograph paper just before a test...

I loved the purple ink smell nonetheless.

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com

Ron Magen

Is this going to turn into one of those 'Older Than Dirt' series of messages
!?!

Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{Had the BIL over for X-Mas dinner . . . just got married 2 weeks ago.
Somehow, during table conversation, used the line, "I've got socks older
than you !!"

"Jeffrey Picciotto" ...
SNIP
Only option?? Am I the only one who remembers mimeograph machines?

--jeff

Lawrence Wasserman

I can't remember who to give credit to, but a used fax machine
cartridge (from the type that looks like a wide ribbon on rollers)
works well too.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Mark Jerde

Ron Magen wrote:
Is this going to turn into one of those 'Older Than Dirt' series of
messages !?!

Dirt? You had dirt? We made our own from rocks.

-- Mark

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:46:12 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

Ron Magen wrote:
Is this going to turn into one of those 'Older Than Dirt' series of
messages !?!

Dirt? You had dirt? We made our own from rocks.

-- Mark

you had rocks? we were still waiting for the earth's crust to cool
down enough to walk on it....
Mike Marlow

wrote:

Ron Magen wrote:
Is this going to turn into one of those 'Older Than Dirt' series of
messages !?!

Dirt? You had dirt? We made our own from rocks.

-- Mark

you had rocks? we were still waiting for the earth's crust to cool
down enough to walk on it....

at least you didn't have to sit and wait through those six long days of
creation...

Although,... Eve was quite a looker in her prime.

--

-Mike-

Mark Jerde

Mike Marlow wrote:

at least you didn't have to sit and wait through those six long days
of creation...

Although,... Eve was quite a looker in her prime.

Yeah, but what CHOICE did Adam have? Huh? ;-) "The girl all gets
prettier at closing time ... "

-- Mark