Rob V

Default Nice gloat

So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back and the other day
they auctioned off the remaining inventory that didnt sell.

Here was the haul.

An entire display of shop vac stuff. 2 1/2" hoses, wands, sweeps,
etc...about 25 pieces total - $5.00
15 - 48" piano hinges - $20.00
25 - 36" piano hinges - $35.00
An entire sand paper display unit and paper (the yellow alligator display-
about 30 bins total) - $15.00
6 cans of contact cement (the small quart size ones) + a can of the 3M spray
adhesive+ a few epoxy mixtures - $5.00
A hugh adhesive display - roughly 10 rolls of double back tape - about 30+
rolls of scotch tape - various other tapes and stuff - $5.00
15 double coat hooks (white and brass) + other hooks and hangers - $10.00
6 big boxes of drywall screws 1"-3" + 1 box of senco 1 1/2" staples - $5.00
An entire safety glasses display w/ 15 glasses + 24 crokies - $30.00 (I
have a bad habit of losing glasses or leaving them in the house then go back
to the shop - I figure now I can pretty much leave 1 at every machine!)
15 sets of the magnetetic child saftey latches (these go for $10.00 each
set) plus about 30+ other child saftey things - $10.00 ( the wife have been
bugging me to finish doing the rest of the kitchen w/ them)

And the mommy of the haul
and entire display of cabinet hardware, hinges, handles,drawer slides + the
display itself - $125.00
The kicker is the entire display was full - picture the knob wall the the
local borg - from the really good stuff (there were 3 bins of handles that
were 11.99 each - each bin had 10-15 handles in it) to the small wooden
knobs and every thing in between.
(Ill post pics when I get a chance)

A few things I missed out on (which I was just too cheap to go higher)
You know the row in the borg that has all the carriage bolts - hex
bolts -etc...they were selling 2 isles of that stuff about 6 rows at a time.
prices ranged from 60 bux to about $350 for the grade A stuff.

All in all a great day -Merry xmas to me!!!!

Thanks,
Rob

You can reply to me at
r_b_v at v_e_r_z_e_r_a doht c_o_m
(remove the _ to get the address)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 05:11:26 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back

snip...

Thanks,
Rob

my condolences on the loss of a good hardware store.
Keith

"Rob V" wrote in message
m...
So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back and the other day
they auctioned off the remaining inventory that didnt sell.

Here was the haul.

You SUCK more than anyone, Has ever before sucked before.

Good on ya.
Keith

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Rob V wrote:
So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back and the other day
they auctioned off the remaining inventory that didnt sell.

Here was the haul.

Your suckage has ruined my day. Short of winning the lottery, there's no saving
it now.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

J & K Tomalonis

Where was that Ace? Our local one went out also and we hauled out a load
too.

Ours was in Mill Hall PA

James

"Rob V" wrote in message
m...
So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back and the other day
they auctioned off the remaining inventory that didnt sell.

James Tomalonis

Ours simply fell on hard times with the borgs popping up nearby.

James

P.S. I made some incredible buys! I'll gloat in another post I think. Some
is now for sale! I didn't need it all and couldn't let

"Rob V" wrote in message
m...
Angier NC

It was a family business and they decided to move on to something else.

"J & K Tomalonis" wrote in message
Where was that Ace? Our local one went out also and we hauled out a load
too.

Ours was in Mill Hall PA

James

"Rob V" wrote in message
m...
So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back and the other
day they auctioned off the remaining inventory that didnt sell.

Bob

Rob,

You must live near me in NW Metro Atlanta. Either that or the same thing
took place here in my backdoor.

"Rob V" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Ba r r y

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 05:11:26 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

All in all a great day -Merry xmas to me!!!!

Do you still have a hardware store? G

Barry

Ron Truitt

Nice haul.

We're losing one in our small town also. Now that you've gloated I'll
have to keep my eyes open for the auction.

We had a HD open up and the local hardware store, that was over 80 years
old, is closing. I'm miffed because they always knew their stuff, which
is more than I can say for the borgs.

RonT

Ba r r y

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:26:50 GMT, "Rob V" wrote:

I have a little mom and pop shop about 5 mins from me that I still go to.
They still beat the borg prices.

In that case, it's a gloat!

You suck! G

Barry
Joe_Stein

Our ACE Hardware (in Tiffin, OH) is still going strong. Mostly because
locals will have to drive a minimum 20 miles to get to the nearest Borg
(in Fremont, OH). Speaking of Ace, check out Ace of Ellenville, NY at
toolcorral.com. Very reasonable on shipping costs.
Joe

patrick conroy

"Rob V" wrote in message
m...

So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back and the other day

Here, it appears that Ace is taking on the BORGs. They opened another new
one and seem to be doing well. Things are a tad more expensive there, but I
try to patronize them as often as I can.

Nate Perkins

"Rob V" wrote in
m:

So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back and the other
day they auctioned off the remaining inventory that didnt sell.

Don't you hate it when an Ace goes out of business? Those places are some
of the last businesses I know that really exemplify great customer service.

Great gloat, though. It would be even better if it were a Borg store that
was going under.

Patriarch

Nate Perkins wrote in
. 125.201:

"Rob V" wrote in
m:

So an Ace hardware went out of business a few weeks back and the
other day they auctioned off the remaining inventory that didnt sell.

Don't you hate it when an Ace goes out of business? Those places are
some of the last businesses I know that really exemplify great
customer service.

Great gloat, though. It would be even better if it were a Borg store
that was going under.

Ace stores are generally locally owned franchises, and vary according to
the personality of the owner/managers.

But locally owned and managed hardware stores are a great resource in
any community. Recommend them to your friends and neighbors!

Patriarch,
a great fan of the Eames' family "Do it Best" store...
boulderscott

I don't know if anyone here lives in my area, Boulder, CO, but we have
McGuckin's Hardware here. It is a truly phenominal store for buying
hardware among many other things. The store is about as big as a Home
Depot but they have about 20x the employees (many retired men) and
they're usually tripping over themselves to help you. They are a
little more expensive for some things (power tools, for example, but
the best selection anywhere) but the service is second to none and they
have a great stock. I just found out that a new Home Depot is going in
right across the street from them. I hope they can co-exist. It would
be a shame to lose such a Boulder icon and an enjoyable place to shop.

Nate Perkins

"boulderscott" wrote in
oups.com:

I don't know if anyone here lives in my area, Boulder, CO, but we have
McGuckin's Hardware here. It is a truly phenominal store for buying
hardware among many other things. The store is about as big as a Home
Depot but they have about 20x the employees (many retired men) and
they're usually tripping over themselves to help you. They are a
little more expensive for some things (power tools, for example, but
the best selection anywhere) but the service is second to none and they
have a great stock. I just found out that a new Home Depot is going in
right across the street from them. I hope they can co-exist. It would
be a shame to lose such a Boulder icon and an enjoyable place to shop.

Oh, yeah. I live in Fort Collins. I've been to McGuckin's many times.
Used to have breakfast at the place next door ("Le Peeps") and then spend
about an hour cruising McGuckin's. They are a little more expensive, but
they have a fantastic selection and great people.