mike hide

Default unisaw arborbearings

one or both bearings of my unisaw arbor gave up the ghost . I ordered new
bearings ,spacers ,preload spring etc total was $130+.they wanted $45 for a
set of 3 drive belts, I got them locally for $15 , what a Delta
ridoff.....mjh

Greg O

"mike hide" wrote in message
one or both bearings of my unisaw arbor gave up the ghost . I ordered new
bearings ,spacers ,preload spring etc total was $130+.they wanted $45 for

set of 3 drive belts, I got them locally for $15 , what a Delta
ridoff.....mjh

You could have saved a couple of bucks on the bearings too!
Greg

Edwin Pawlowski

mike hide wrote:

one or both bearings of my unisaw arbor gave up the ghost . I ordered new
bearings ,spacers ,preload spring etc total was $130+.they wanted $45 for
set of 3 drive belts, I got them locally for $15 , what a Delta
ridoff.....mjh

Typical of any replacement part, be it a small appliance or heavy industrial
equipment. Recently needed a $5 seal for a valve. The machine supplier
that the valve was on could not sell me a rebuild kit, only a $600 valve.
You have to find local sources for stuff like that. I can give you hundreds
of examples.

Edwin Pawlowski

"ToolMiser" wrote in message
My comment is to get a "matched" set of belts. These are cut off the roll
next
to each other so they are the same size. Most knowledgeable places that
sell
belts can set you up. That way all of them pull the same.

I know matched belts are important if they are running on the same
arbor/pulley, but does it matter if they are in series?
Ed

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"ToolMiser" wrote in message
My comment is to get a "matched" set of belts. These are cut off the roll
next
to each other so they are the same size. Most knowledgeable places that
sell
belts can set you up. That way all of them pull the same.

I know matched belts are important if they are running on the same
arbor/pulley, but does it matter if they are in series?

What could they then be matching????
Unisaw A100

The truth of the matter is even with a matched set of belt
there are typically two belt doing the brunt of the work
while the other (third) is running a wee bit slack.

I have spoken with Unisaw owners who have run just two belts
at a time and they don't notice any change.

Still, I prefer to run with the three (matched set) but
that's just me.

UA100

Duane Bozarth

Unisaw A100 wrote:

The truth of the matter is even with a matched set of belt
there are typically two belt doing the brunt of the work
while the other (third) is running a wee bit slack.

Well, max already answered this...

I have spoken with Unisaw owners who have run just two belts
at a time and they don't notice any change.

Unless they really load the saw, it's unlikely they would notice any
real difference w/ just one...the multiple belts are there for the times
when one really needs the extra power transmitting capability and very
little of the time is a saw used for such cuts...but when it is, it's
vital.

I'd never think of cutting back on such a trivial cost item on my PM
Model 66...a set of quality belts will last almost indefinitely if
they're not mistreated in a average shop. Even in a commercial shop
they'll last a long time (TM).
Rick

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
The truth of the matter is even with a matched set of belt
there are typically two belt doing the brunt of the work
while the other (third) is running a wee bit slack.

I have spoken with Unisaw owners who have run just two belts
at a time and they don't notice any change.

Still, I prefer to run with the three (matched set) but
that's just me.

UA100

Might I recommend something along the lines of the Gates PowerBand?
http://www.gates.com/index.cfm?location_id=3102

The benefits include very closely matched belts, even load distribution,
somewhat quieter operation. I think you'll also see longer belt life ...
based on experience and the fact that the load is evenly distributed ... one
belt can't carry the majority of the load and fail prematurely.

The downside is you can't be a cheap tightwad and only replace the one belt
that broke, knowing full well you will replace another belt in the near
future ... but that's not a technical issue as much as it is a lifestyle
issue.

Hint ... if you hear belts screaming when you turn the machine on, you MIGHT
need to consider some sort of soft-start or VFD control. Belt life gets
extended well into the "replace it because it's starting to dry-rot" stage.

HTH

Rick