DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Abrasive wheel on miter saw (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/82779-abrasive-wheel-miter-saw.html)

Duane Bozarth December 25th 04 02:24 PM

Mike Marlow wrote:

My chop saw is aluminum, just like my miter saw.

My point was intended more that after using it for metal-cutting
extensively it wouldn't be much good for precision woodworking any
longer...

The metal-cutting chop saw isn't Al and after the years of use it has,
if it were built like the miter saw it might still suffice for a chop
saw but it certainly wouldn't be an accurate miter saw...

But it gets farm repair use, not just the rare cut one light piece of
metal that a strictly woodshop saw might get...but I don't think the
miter saw would have held up even to some of the work the chop saw has
done in its life...

Lulu[_4_] April 1st 18 06:44 PM

Abrasive wheel on miter saw

replying to Ned Simmons, Lulu wrote:
Hi, I've done it tons of times, for heavier metals, no problem whatsoever and
my saw still runs like a new.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...aw-304451-.htm

Bob La Londe[_7_] April 1st 18 07:24 PM

Abrasive wheel on miter saw

On 4/1/2018 10:44 AM, Lulu wrote:
replying to Ned Simmons, Lulu wrote:
Hi, I've done it tons of times, for heavier metals, no problem
whatsoever and
my saw still runs like a new.

I've done it when needed, but modern mitre saws have lots of plastic
parts and you will melt them. I know first hand. LOL.

Clare Snyder April 1st 18 07:58 PM

Abrasive wheel on miter saw

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 11:24:06 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 4/1/2018 10:44 AM, Lulu wrote:
replying to Ned Simmons, Lulu wrote:
Hi, I've done it tons of times, for heavier metals, no problem
whatsoever and
my saw still runs like a new.

I've done it when needed, but modern mitre saws have lots of plastic
parts and you will melt them. I know first hand. LOL.

I have a dedicated 14 inch abrasive chop-saw that I got for nothing
with a damaged handle. Handle and switch upgrade from Milwaukee cost
me about $15. Does all the cutting I'll need.

DerbyDad03 April 2nd 18 12:55 AM

Abrasive wheel on miter saw

wrote:

On 4/1/2018 10:44 AM, Lulu wrote:
replying to Ned Simmons, Lulu wrote:
Hi, I've done it tons of times, for heavier metals, no problem
whatsoever and
my saw still runs like a new.

I've done it when needed, but modern mitre saws have lots of plastic
parts and you will melt them. I know first hand. LOL.

I have a dedicated 14 inch abrasive chop-saw that I got for nothing
with a damaged handle. Handle and switch upgrade from Milwaukee cost
me about $15. Does all the cutting I'll need.

Somewhere I've got a picture of my then 12 YO son cutting a 3/4 steel rod
on my old 10" Delta CMS. We were making parts for his Soap Box Derby car.
He had already made dozens of cuts, so I was comfortable setting up the
pictu

I gave him a long rod so his fingers were no where near the blade. He lowered the disk into the rod just before I turned off the lights in the windowless
shop and took a couple of pictures. His face was lit up by the orange glow of
the shooting sparks.

I gotta find that picture.

Leon[_7_] April 2nd 18 05:06 AM

Abrasive wheel on miter saw

wrote:

On 4/1/2018 10:44 AM, Lulu wrote:
[...]

Yes find that picture and share. Sounds way cool!