John Emmons

Default Dado jig?

Good Morning,

I need to cut a series of dado's in some 1/2" ply. They're side panels for a
box with slide out shelves. The slides fit between the two sides and a
middle divider that runs thru the box. I need to make some sort of jig or
fixture to help me keep the spacing between the dado's consistent.

I'm thinking of using my crosscut sled and simply marking off the distance
on the base and sliding the panel to each mark, is there a better way to cut
these that might give me more accuracy?

Hope I described it well enough, any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Still looking for spalted maple veneer too, my local Rockler doesn't carry
it, none of the online sources I've checked so far, including those listed
by posters here have it either.

John Emmons

GeeDubb

John Emmons wrote:
Good Morning,

I need to cut a series of dado's in some 1/2" ply. They're side
panels for a box with slide out shelves. The slides fit between the
two sides and a middle divider that runs thru the box. I need to make
some sort of jig or fixture to help me keep the spacing between the
dado's consistent.

I'm thinking of using my crosscut sled and simply marking off the
distance on the base and sliding the panel to each mark, is there a
better way to cut these that might give me more accuracy?

Hope I described it well enough, any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Still looking for spalted maple veneer too, my local Rockler doesn't
carry it, none of the online sources I've checked so far, including
those listed by posters here have it either.

John Emmons

Stop block on the sled. Or and indexing stop stapled to the sled the same
size as the groove (not as deep) similar to setting up for box joints except
that the dado sits on top of the indexing stop. The indexing stop assumes
equal spacing though.

Gary

WoodchuckCanuck

John,

Have you tried this list for splated maple?

http://dmoz.org/Arts/Crafts/Woodcraf...orking/Lumber/
Woodwork Safely,
Jim Barry
http://www.woodchuckcanuck.com

Ba r r y

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:10:49 GMT, "John Emmons"
wrote:

I'm thinking of using my crosscut sled and simply marking off the distance
on the base and sliding the panel to each mark, is there a better way to cut
these that might give me more accuracy?

A story stick and stop blocks. If the work is wider than the sled,
used the fence as the stop, and flip the work , if necessary.

Barry
bc

I always put the dado set on my radial arm saw, that way I can see my
marks and stop blocks are easier to set up on the radial arm fence. I
like being able to see the dado as I cut it. I can catch screw-ups alot
easier. Hope that helps. BC
John Emmons wrote:
[...]

mark

I always put the dado set on my radial arm saw, that way I can see my
marks and stop blocks are easier to set up on the radial arm fence. I
like being able to see the dado as I cut it. I can catch screw-ups alot
easier. Hope that helps. BC

That sounds scary as hell to me. I've never done it, maybe that's why.