Shawn Wilson

Default bottle stoppers display

I recently turned a 3 bottle stopper set for christmas presents. I was
wondering if anyone had any advice on how to store them. The recipients are
pretty practical people, so I was thinking more storage than display (my
guess is only 1 or 2 stoppers will be used at a time). I have seen other
stoppers displayed on a curved piece of wood about 6" long x 1.5" deep by 2"
tall at the middle with 3 holes cut in it but that seems like a dust
collector and makes it difficult to put it a drawer.

I was hoping for some kind of really simple box. This weekend is really the
last time I'll have to make it before Christmas. I'm a complete novice and
am lacking some "basic" tools. What I do have is a bandsaw, table saw,
hand drill, electric sanders and a couple handsaws. Common tools I don't
have are a drill press, planer or planes and router. I was thinking of
making finger joints (I think that's what they're called -- the type used on
cheap lathe tool/router bit boxes) on the table saw for the box sides, with
a piece of thin stock for the bottom set in a dado. I was thinking of doing
the same for the top, only ending one of the shorter ends just under the
dado so that it slides in and out. I'd put a shelf in the box at the
appropriate height with holes in it to hold the stoppers.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to make this or easier alternatives,
please let me know. I am a complete novice. If I can't do the box, I'll
likely go with the curved wood thing cut on the bandsaw.

Thanks,
Shawn

--
Shawn Wilson

http://www.GlassGiant.com

Ecnerwal

In article ,
"Shawn Wilson" wrote:

If anyone has any suggestions about how to make this or easier alternatives,
please let me know. I am a complete novice. If I can't do the box, I'll
likely go with the curved wood thing cut on the bandsaw.

Make a bandsawn box. Simpler and neater than finger joints.

Shawn Wilson

If anyone has any suggestions about how to make this or easier
alternatives,
please let me know. I am a complete novice. If I can't do the box,

I'll
likely go with the curved wood thing cut on the bandsaw.

Make a bandsawn box. Simpler and neater than finger joints.

I just DAGS on bandsawn box. I like the look of them, but I'm unsure
whether or not my bandsaw would do the job. It's a little 3 wheel Delta
10". To date I've only used it to square up blanks for the stoppers (about
2-3" on a side) and it had trouble with that. It deflected under the
smallest bit of pressure. May have been the blade though (I was using the
one that came with it, second-hand). I'll pick up a new one today.

Thanks,
Shawn
--
Shawn Wilson

[...]