Tock

Default steam-proofing wood

Hello,
I have some brushes (brushes for shaving--I'm a barber) with wood handles
that I need to sterilize in a pressure cooker (autoclave) on a regular
basis. Is there a wood preservative product that will protect the wood
from the steam?
Thanks,
-Tock

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tock" wrote in message
Hello,
I have some brushes (brushes for shaving--I'm a barber) with wood handles
that I need to sterilize in a pressure cooker (autoclave) on a regular
basis. Is there a wood preservative product that will protect the wood
from the steam?
Thanks,
-Tock

No.

There are coatings and finishes that may help, like epoxy, but how do you
get it around the bristles? It is not just the handle but the base also.
Wood is not allowed in any area that I know of that must be sterile. Check
the knives of your local butcher and they will be plastic handles.

George

Can't do it. Wood loves water, expands when it gets it. Finish doesn't.

Then there's the rules on what may be considered sterile. Seems barbers
always use the UV boxes. Not sure what "stylists" use, 'cause I refuse to
pay double the haircut price.

"Tock" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,
I have some brushes (brushes for shaving--I'm a barber) with wood handles
that I need to sterilize in a pressure cooker (autoclave) on a regular
basis. Is there a wood preservative product that will protect the wood
from the steam?
Thanks,
-Tock

Phisherman

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 05:38:47 GMT, "Tock" wrote:

Hello,
I have some brushes (brushes for shaving--I'm a barber) with wood handles
that I need to sterilize in a pressure cooker (autoclave) on a regular
basis. Is there a wood preservative product that will protect the wood
from the steam?
Thanks,
-Tock

I doubt it. Repeated steaming of wood will weaken it, although there
are some kinds of woods that will hold up better than others. I'd
replace the brushes with ones that have metal handles. I'd think
placing the brushes in a dry 180-degree oven for an hour or dipping
them in 91% alcohol would kill any (harmful) living thing.

Charlie Self

Ed Pawlowski responds:

"Tock" wrote in message
Hello,
I have some brushes (brushes for shaving--I'm a barber) with wood handles
that I need to sterilize in a pressure cooker (autoclave) on a regular
basis. Is there a wood preservative product that will protect the wood
from the steam?
Thanks,
-Tock

No.

There are coatings and finishes that may help, like epoxy, but how do you
get it around the bristles? It is not just the handle but the base also.
Wood is not allowed in any area that I know of that must be sterile. Check
the knives of your local butcher and they will be plastic handles.

And check your good knife handles if you run them through the dishwasher. True,
part of that is chemical action of the detergent, but part is also the very hot
water. IIRC, it takes about 6 to 8 passes to remove the finish and start
turning the wood to something nasty.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston
Churchill

Silvan

George wrote:

Can't do it. Wood loves water, expands when it gets it. Finish doesn't.

Then there's the rules on what may be considered sterile. Seems barbers
always use the UV boxes. Not sure what "stylists" use, 'cause I refuse to
pay double the haircut price.

The last barber sold his shop to a stylist chick, so I bought a set of head
shears. $20 for a haircut? Right. $15 for years worth of haircuts? Now
we're talkin'.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

And check your good knife handles if you run them through the dishwasher.
True, part of that is chemical action of the detergent, but part is also
the very hot water. IIRC, it takes about 6 to 8 passes to remove the
finish and start turning the wood to something nasty.

Soaking them in oil from time to time seems to keep them pretty happy
though. I've started soaking the knives in vegetable oil (because it's
there, not because it's ideal) and it seems to have helped considerably. I
soak them whenever they start to get white looking.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
jo4hn

Silvan wrote:
George wrote:

Can't do it. Wood loves water, expands when it gets it. Finish doesn't.

Then there's the rules on what may be considered sterile. Seems barbers
always use the UV boxes. Not sure what "stylists" use, 'cause I refuse to
pay double the haircut price.

The last barber sold his shop to a stylist chick, so I bought a set of head
shears. $20 for a haircut? Right. $15 for years worth of haircuts? Now
we're talkin'.

I crawl into a gopher hole and SWMBO runs the lawn mower over the top.
Fifteen bucks for shears? Phooey.
penuriously yours,
jo4hn