Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Marlow

Default Question about shellac solvent

"RKG" wrote in message
Most of the directions I have seen for shellac flakes call to dissolve
them in denatured alcohol. Is there a problem with using methyl
hydrate. It is certainly cheaper and easier to find around here. I've
tried it on some small stuff and don't see any difference immediately.

Rick

Hi Rick - don't know the real answer to your question because being the
chemistry genius that I am, I have no idea what methyl hydrate is.
Though... you really shouldn't have any trouble finding denatured alcohol
just about anywhere. Ace Hardware carries it, as do just about all of the
chain hardware and home centers. It's really not that expensive to buy a
gallon of the stuff and keep it around. You might want to also try
automotive refinishing supply houses. Those guys often sell chemicals like
that a lot cheaper than the home centers.
--

-Mike-