Jay Pique

Default Broaden your horizons! PopSci for Fine Woodworking.

I've got *a bunch* of Popular Science magazines that I'd be willing to
trade in part or in whole for "some" Fine Woodworking" magazines.

Anyone interested?

JP
Charlie Self

JOAT answers:

Not good enough. Thanks, but I'll pass, too new for my taste.

Same here. I used to write for PS, back in the '70s and '80s, but by the
mid-1980s, they'd moved all the way to "What's New", sliding away from my
interests. Al Lees (Home & Shop Editor) retired, and, IMO, the magazine became
a slightly more interesting Omni (which may be why Omni folded). I don't think
I've looked at an issue since about '88. Check the covers and see more on outer
or inner space than I care to know.

Charlie Self
"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

pray4surf

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Was it Popular Science that wrote one of the initial 'mainstream' articles
(Cover story if I do recall) that introduced hang gliding to the
population.. what was this '71 - '72? It was one of those "Popular
Science/Mechanics" publications.

I remember my dad getting all excited, we ended up ordering a set of plans
from Dick Eipper (sp) for 10 bucks, a few trips to the hardware store, one
road trip to Tube Sales in Los Angeles, and before you know it, we were
flying like the birds.... Well, not quite - the rule was "Never fly higher
than you are willing to fall" - LOL

I still have an original copy of Dan Poynters "Hang Gliding - The Basic
Handbook of Skysurfing", complete with field notes...

Any current or ex hang gliders amongst us?

Rick

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

JOAT answers:

Not good enough. Thanks, but I'll pass, too new for my taste.

Same here. I used to write for PS, back in the '70s and '80s, but by the
mid-1980s, they'd moved all the way to "What's New", sliding away from my
interests. Al Lees (Home & Shop Editor) retired, and, IMO, the magazine

I subscribed for a good chunk of the '90s, it must have been. It used to be
my favorite magazine, but then I started reading PM, and I discovered that
PopSci is just whatever was in PM three months ago, with different
drawings.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Charlie Self

pray4surf asks:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Was it Popular Science that wrote one of the initial 'mainstream' articles
(Cover story if I do recall) that introduced hang gliding to the
population.. what was this '71 - '72? It was one of those "Popular
Science/Mechanics" publications.

It might have been, but the concept sounds more like something Tony Hogg and
Wade Hoyt at Science & Mechanics would have loved the most.

I remember my dad getting all excited, we ended up ordering a set of plans
from Dick Eipper (sp) for 10 bucks, a few trips to the hardware store, one
road trip to Tube Sales in Los Angeles, and before you know it, we were
flying like the birds.... Well, not quite - the rule was "Never fly higher
than you are willing to fall" - LOL

I still have an original copy of Dan Poynters "Hang Gliding - The Basic
Handbook of Skysurfing", complete with field notes...

Any current or ex hang gliders amongst us?

Gah. I used to go up to the Ellenville, NY area to watch the sail planes...not
quite as pretty as a hawk soaring, but not bad. In the process, I found the
spot where the local hang gliders took off. No thanks. I ain't jumping off no
damned spot that is above the tops of the trees!

Charlie Self
"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain
Charlie Self

rcook5 responds:

For me the most interesting ones are the issues before 1950. I've got
a bunch of them from during and right after WWII and the stuff in just
fascinating. _Real_ shop projects and tips you can seriously use
besides all the neat stuff we're supposed to have today and somehow
don't.

I learned some reading skills with those pre-1950 PSs. I had an older cousin
who got the magazine, and whenever we visited, I'd end up on the floor of his
room reading PS magazines back before WWII. A lot of fun there. His dad was a
machinist, while mine was an auto mechanic, so the genes were good.

Gus's Garage was the best part for me, for a long, long time.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston
Churchill
Pat Barber

I recall a bunch of those nut cases jumping off the
top of Grandfather Mountain in western North Carolina.

It looks really neat until somebody forgets about the
basic tenets of flight...

Charlie Self wrote:

Gah. I used to go up to the Ellenville, NY area to watch the sail planes...not
quite as pretty as a hawk soaring, but not bad. In the process, I found the
spot where the local hang gliders took off. No thanks. I ain't jumping off no
damned spot that is above the tops of the trees!

Charlie Self
"Man is the only animal that blushes. Or needs to." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

Jay Pique notes:

Hmmmm.... It's funny, PopSci is all I really know - but it's the best
I've been reading. In an effort to be melioric, I'm *willing* to
sacrifice THREE late vintage PopSci's for JUST ONE "Science and
Mechanics" mag. Or one pre-50s PopSci. Or one (1) popsicle stick.
....Who'll give me a dollar?....

I think the S&M mags may be collector's items by now, and it's probable that
the PS mags of that era are too. I've got a few article samples from S&M--Four
Stroke: Once And Future King (motorcycle buyers guide)--from back then, but not
much else. And that was probably 30 years ago. I seem to recall writing that
one shortly aftger I lived in Albany, NY and I left there in '72. Might have
popped in the mid-70s. Some of the bikes look a lot better to me than these
underdone racers now on the roads.

Charlie Self
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston
Churchill

FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM