RampRat

Default Mitre Gauge:Is this Normal?

With my GI 50-185 came a CI mitre gauge. Now i'm maybe being paranoid,
but will the cast iron mitre gauge scratch the surface of the nice new
top, or is there an adjustment that I need to make so that the bottom
of the gauge doesnt ride directly on the table top. I have searched
through the Table Saw Book, the wreck, and my manual and can't find
anything about a height adjustment. Is the first scratch just the
hardest one to handle?

Rick

Silvan

RampRat wrote:

through the Table Saw Book, the wreck, and my manual and can't find
anything about a height adjustment. Is the first scratch just the
hardest one to handle?

Dunno, I haven't looked at that many different makes and models of miter
gauges, but both of the ones I've had have had white plastic slippery stuff
set into the bottom.

As someone suggested, LV slippery tape might fit the bill here.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
George

Most of the old type have thick enough bars to keep the scratch to optically
significant only. I bought one of those hold-down cheapies that had little
nylon feet on the arc. Push to shove, I'd go with some of the tape, or see
if you can't find a place for two untapped holes and skid buttons.

Nice moniker. Flightline maintenance?

"RampRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
With my GI 50-185 came a CI mitre gauge. Now i'm maybe being paranoid,
but will the cast iron mitre gauge scratch the surface of the nice new
top, or is there an adjustment that I need to make so that the bottom
of the gauge doesnt ride directly on the table top. I have searched
through the Table Saw Book, the wreck, and my manual and can't find
anything about a height adjustment. Is the first scratch just the
hardest one to handle?

Rick

Tony

Hi, when I got my new Griz. cabinet saw, didn't like the miter guage that
came with the saw, so went to Woodcraft and bought a Incra 1000SE miter
guage. Haven't looked back.

Tony

"CW" wrote in message
Just make sure it is flat and smooth. Remove any bur and don't worry about
it.
"RampRat" wrote in message
oups.com...
With my GI 50-185 came a CI mitre gauge. Now i'm maybe being paranoid,
but will the cast iron mitre gauge scratch the surface of the nice new
top, or is there an adjustment that I need to make so that the bottom
of the gauge doesnt ride directly on the table top. I have searched
through the Table Saw Book, the wreck, and my manual and can't find
anything about a height adjustment. Is the first scratch just the
hardest one to handle?

Rick

Greg Millen

"CW" wrote in message ...
Just make sure it is flat and smooth. Remove any bur and don't worry about
it.

IAW CW, carefully file any burred edges. I'd think twice about putting tape
underneath, if not done evenly, you *may* put the face very slightly
off-square to the surface (I am not aware how thick the tape is).

--
Greg

On 12 Dec 2004 08:30:19 -0800, "RampRat"
wrote:

With my GI 50-185 came a CI mitre gauge. Now i'm maybe being paranoid,
but will the cast iron mitre gauge scratch the surface of the nice new
top, or is there an adjustment that I need to make so that the bottom
of the gauge doesnt ride directly on the table top. I have searched
through the Table Saw Book, the wreck, and my manual and can't find
anything about a height adjustment. Is the first scratch just the
hardest one to handle?

Rick

take a bit of 400 grit sandpaper and knock off the edges and any burrs
where it slides on the table. then give it a coat of paste wax. then
use it.
RampRat

Thank for all the advise. Looks like a can of paste wax is something
invaluable in any woodshop. There are a few rough edges that need to be
filed down. I'll finish it off with the sandpaper and some wax. Rockler
sells the tape as well as LV so I may take a look and see if it's sold
locally. I'll try to tone down my gloat here, but I am very impressed
with the fit and finish of this TS. Even SWMBO can't resist running
her hands across the smooth top.

Rick