brandt

Default paint application AND temperature

I really want to paint my garage workshop BUT the temp is only 5
Celcius. The paint requires a minimum of 10 Celcius. I have tried
heating the garage up to temp BUT there is just no insualtion in the
roof and you know about those garage doors. SO, my question:

Do I risk some pricey paint by applying it at 5 Celcius? What is
going to happen to it if I do? If the cure times are altered, I am OK
with that. I have nothing but time because my wood glue does not work
so well at 5 Celcius.

Thanks for the help.

Brandt
Sam the Cat

Brant -- were are you located ? In the States, Sherwin Williams sells a
paint called "Duration" that will go on down to 35F
might be you want to look at different paint. I've had the paint on my
house for about year and it looks great

Cheers

"brandt" wrote in message
om...
I really want to paint my garage workshop BUT the temp is only 5
Celcius. The paint requires a minimum of 10 Celcius. I have tried
heating the garage up to temp BUT there is just no insualtion in the
roof and you know about those garage doors. SO, my question:

Do I risk some pricey paint by applying it at 5 Celcius? What is
going to happen to it if I do? If the cure times are altered, I am OK
with that. I have nothing but time because my wood glue does not work
so well at 5 Celcius.

Thanks for the help.

Brandt

Edwin Pawlowski

"brandt" wrote in message
om...
I really want to paint my garage workshop BUT the temp is only 5
Celcius. The paint requires a minimum of 10 Celcius. I have tried
heating the garage up to temp BUT there is just no insualtion in the
roof and you know about those garage doors. SO, my question:

Do I risk some pricey paint by applying it at 5 Celcius? What is
going to happen to it if I do? If the cure times are altered, I am OK
with that. I have nothing but time because my wood glue does not work
so well at 5 Celcius.

Easy answer. Wait until spring

At the minimum the cure time will be extended. It may not flow as well when
you apply it at lower temperatures giving a poor finish. I surely would try
it in a small area to see what happens. .

Paul Kierstead

brandt wrote:
Do I risk some pricey paint by applying it at 5 Celcius? What is
going to happen to it if I do? If the cure times are altered, I am OK
with that. I have nothing but time because my wood glue does not work
so well at 5 Celcius.

I painted my garage door last month and here it was right on the line;
10 degress max during the day, low lower at night. I probably applied
one coat below the line. Observations:
- On the coldest day, the paint flowed very poorly and was quite hard to
apply even remotely evenly.
- Cure times were *much* longer them I am used to with Latex.
- Overall, it was a pretty big hassle and not the smoothest of results

For me, sealing the door and stabilizing were the primary concern with
appearance being secondary, although the door looks just fine at casual
glance or more then 3m away. So, for me, I consider it a success. I
would say if you are just doing it for looks, wait. If it has a
function, do it; it is only paint and can always be redone.

PK

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Need the truth on exterior home painting David Roberts Home Repair 22 August 13th 04 07:20 AM
Need the truth on exterior home painting David Roberts Home Ownership 18 August 13th 04 07:20 AM
How do tell a liquid from a solid? Jeffrey Lindemuth Metalworking 20 December 29th 03 05:16 PM