DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   tool gloat, gloat (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/80808-tool-gloat-gloat.html)

[email protected] December 9th 04 04:51 AM

tool gloat, gloat

Yesterday I spotted an Amana 8" stacked dado set at one of the local
pawns, still mostly padded from a recent sharpening (or maybe largely
unused?). Resisted the immediate urge. It was only $40.

Went back today, it was still there. Picked it up, and a metal Makita
drill index (sized just right to fit my cordless case, and mostly-full
of sharp bits) marked at $7.50. When I asked what their best price for
the lot was, the guy said "$37.50". My wallet opened really fast.

Not everything was as it first seemed: one of the chippers was missing
a carbide tip; got a new one ordered for another $37.50. Still, that's
not too bad a deal, huh?

Dan

Ba r r y December 9th 04 01:02 PM

On 8 Dec 2004 20:51:38 -0800, wrote:

Not everything was as it first seemed: one of the chippers was missing
a carbide tip; got a new one ordered for another $37.50. Still, that's
not too bad a deal, huh?

A lot of sharpening shops can replace that tooth for ~$7-8.

Barry

[email protected] December 10th 04 04:06 AM

Thanks, Barry, I'll look into having it replaced. There are very few
sharpening shops around here (mid-MO), but I'll look around.

Dan

Ba r r y December 10th 04 04:17 AM

On 9 Dec 2004 20:06:52 -0800, wrote:

Thanks, Barry, I'll look into having it replaced. There are very few
sharpening shops around here (mid-MO), but I'll look around.

Dan

In MO:
http://www.ballewtools.com/
http://www.redrocksharpening.com/

Both are no farther than the mailman.

Barry

[email protected] December 10th 04 04:33 AM

Thanks again, Barry. I just sent both a query by e-mail. Redrock is
probably closer, maybe on the way to the SWMBO-in-law's. Gotta get a
map out. G

Dan