Ken Adams

Default Difference Between Upholstery and Construction Air Staplers.

Can someone tell me the primary difference between an upholstery air stapler
and a regular construction air stapler. I noticed both paslode and porter
cable make an upolstrey stapler for pretty cheap, and I noticed bostich
staplers can be almost twice as expensive. What are the primary differences
between these to? Or is it strictly compared on a tool by tool bases?

Thanks

igor

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:07:33 GMT, "Ken Adams"
wrote:

Can someone tell me the primary difference between an upholstery air stapler
and a regular construction air stapler. I noticed both paslode and porter
cable make an upolstrey stapler for pretty cheap, and I noticed bostich
staplers can be almost twice as expensive. What are the primary differences
between these to? Or is it strictly compared on a tool by tool bases?

Thanks

I'm sure someone who KNOWS will reply, but here is a guess: The regular one
has more force and drives longer staples - it pushes staples through wood,
versus fabric. Again, just a guess. -- Igor
Thomas Kendrick

Primary difference - staple leg length
Secondary difference - wire size

Upholstery stapler - 22 Ga., 3/8" crown staples from 1/4" to 5/8" long
Narrow crown (1/4") - 5/8" - 1 3/4" - 18 ga. trim and cabinets
Medium crown (1/2") - 3/4" - 2" - 16 ga. siding/sheathing
Wide crown (1") - 5/8" - 1 1/2" - 16 ga. roofing,etc.

Only the medium and wide crown sizes would be considered regular
construction. The narrow crown and upholstery are more for trim
carpentry and furniture.

I would not recommend an upholstery stapler in a construction role.
Might just as well go to the nearest office supply and pick up a desk
stapler as far as the fastener is concerned.

Porter-Cable does make very adequate pneumatic equipment.
I have a Jamerco upholstery stapler and a Spotnails NC stapler.
I would use a framing nailer with the depth adjusted to flush instead
of a medium crown stapler. I got a bargain on a roofing nailer.
So, I would probably not have a need for the medium or wide crown
units.

wrote:

Can someone tell me the primary difference between an upholstery air stapler
and a regular construction air stapler. I noticed both paslode and porter
cable make an upolstrey stapler for pretty cheap, and I noticed bostich
staplers can be almost twice as expensive. What are the primary differences
between these to? Or is it strictly compared on a tool by tool bases?

Thanks

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:07:33 GMT, Ken Adams wrote:
Can someone tell me the primary difference between an upholstery air stapler
and a regular construction air stapler. I noticed both paslode and porter
cable make an upolstrey stapler for pretty cheap, and I noticed bostich
staplers can be almost twice as expensive. What are the primary differences
between these to? Or is it strictly compared on a tool by tool bases?

An upholstery staple is typically about 5/16ths wide, with 1/4" or so of
staple on each side going into the wood. It's made to hold fabric onto
hardwood, and has enough penetration (sometimes, _just_ enough) for that.

I suspect that a construction stapler is considerably larger and stronger.
I wouldn't consider using an upholstery tool for construction.

Dave Hinz

Ken Adams

wrote:
Can someone tell me the primary difference between an upholstery air
stapler
and a regular construction air stapler. I noticed both paslode and porter
cable make an upolstrey stapler for pretty cheap, and I noticed bostich
staplers can be almost twice as expensive. What are the primary
differences
between these to? Or is it strictly compared on a tool by tool bases?

An upholstery staple is typically about 5/16ths wide, with 1/4" or so of
staple on each side going into the wood. It's made to hold fabric onto
hardwood, and has enough penetration (sometimes, _just_ enough) for that.

I suspect that a construction stapler is considerably larger and stronger.
I wouldn't consider using an upholstery tool for construction.

Dave Hinz

Just a follow up question: I see that you can buy a brad nailer/Stapler
combo all in one for about the same size I see other brad nailers by
themeselves. What is the deal their, doesn't it make sense to get one that
does both?

Thanks again, this is very useful info.

mp

Just a follow up question: I see that you can buy a brad nailer/Stapler
combo all in one for about the same size I see other brad nailers by
themeselves. What is the deal their, doesn't it make sense to get one that
does both?

The combo brad nailers will often leave a hole the size of the 1/4" crown
staple whether you shoot brads or staples. Not too ideal for finish work.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:07:33 GMT, "Ken Adams"
calmly ranted:

Can someone tell me the primary difference between an upholstery air stapler
and a regular construction air stapler. I noticed both paslode and porter
cable make an upolstrey stapler for pretty cheap, and I noticed bostich
staplers can be almost twice as expensive. What are the primary differences
between these to? Or is it strictly compared on a tool by tool bases?

I use a $24 Harbor Freight Contractor Series 1/4" (narrow) crown
stapler on upholstery work. I just turn down the air pressure until
the staple head sits where I want it. www.harborfreight.com #40072
(There's one on Ebay for $15 + $10 s/h right now if you don't have
a store nearby.)

Upholstery shops (Like Perry, aka BentCajunGal) often use 7/16"
(medium) crown staplers, slightly wider, and it's probably easier to
remove their staples with that extra width.

What do you want to use it for?

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development