DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   I hate it when this happens (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/80683-i-hate-when-happens.html)

Pat Barber December 9th 04 04:28 PM

Yes... but at least I can say that I found one
that day. I have spent hours hunting these damn
orange sticks of wood called pencils

Larry Jaques wrote:

I love it!

BUT, don't you often find lots of leaded tools in your ol' dust
collector trash can separator when you empty it?

foggytown December 9th 04 04:39 PM

You know, Rod Serling could have made a couple of episodes out of this
thread.

And remember one of the wrecker life's axioms:

"If you lose a tool, chances are 7 to 3 it will be part of a set."

And that REALLY frosts my cookies. If I lose, say, one drill from a
set I can't rest until I replace it. A set of anything with a hole in
it is so-o-o-o-o-o irritating. Like a big smile from Raquel Welch
with one of her front teeth missing.

Maybe my therapist was right!
FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

patriarch December 9th 04 07:26 PM

mac davis wrote in
:

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 06:40:30 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

I must own at LEAST 8 of those 4 way screwdrivers, enough for every room,
vehicle, and toolbox I have. Can I ever find one when I need it?

I've been buying tape measures for years... any size or brand, as long
as they're on sale..
my theory is that some day I'll have so damn many that I'll always be
able to find one when I need it..

Yes, but they won't match each other...

Patriarch,
who's found another tool to blame.

TJ January 13th 05 12:23 PM

TJ wrote:
Well, at least it's better than my usual brain fart which is merrily
working away and suddenly realising that the container which I have now
raised to within 1/2" away from my mouth is the plastic cup containing
the turpentine and not my tea!
FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

All of this advice was really good. I dropped the outfeed table by
approx. 1/16" and took much less (~1/32") wood off each pass. This
seems to help quite a bit. Thanks to all for their invaluable help!

TJ

Charlie Self January 13th 05 04:05 PM

TJ responds:

TJ wrote:
Well, at least it's better than my usual brain fart which is merrily
working away and suddenly realising that the container which I have now
raised to within 1/2" away from my mouth is the plastic cup containing
the turpentine and not my tea!
FoggyTown
"Cut to shape . . . pound to fit."

All of this advice was really good. I dropped the outfeed table by
approx. 1/16" and took much less (~1/32") wood off each pass. This
seems to help quite a bit. Thanks to all for their invaluable help!

You dropped the outfeed table to reduce the cut? I missed the start here, so
maybe there IS a reason, but for 50 years now, I've raised the infeed table to
reduce the cut on any jointer.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush

Duane Bozarth January 13th 05 05:32 PM

Charlie Self wrote:

TJ responds:

All of this advice was really good. I dropped the outfeed table by
approx. 1/16" and took much less (~1/32") wood off each pass. This
seems to help quite a bit. Thanks to all for their invaluable help!

You dropped the outfeed table to reduce the cut? I missed the start here, so
maybe there IS a reason, but for 50 years now, I've raised the infeed table to
reduce the cut on any jointer.

Yeah, I saw that, too...

Unless it was way too high before, that isn't the way--at least if the
object is to get straight edge for glue joint, etc. The outfeed table
should be set initially at precisely the height of the knives when
they're at TDC (top dead center). The knives also should be checked to
ensure they are both precisely parallel to the table and uniform in
height. Then, if there's a slight concavity or convexity to the jointed
edge, adjust the outfeed table slightly for this--but it shouldn't
take more than a few thou, nothing approaching 1/16".

HTH...

Duane Bozarth January 13th 05 07:55 PM

Duane Bozarth wrote:

....about aligning rear jointer table w/ knives...

Of course, all the above assumes the two tables are parallel w/ each
other in both planes as well as flat...