DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plastic Resin Glue?? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/80676-plastic-resin-glue.html)

Rob V December 8th 04 03:10 AM

Plastic Resin Glue??

What exactly is this magical stuff that DM uses?

Is this just normal Hide glue?

Leon December 8th 04 01:45 PM

Not like hide glue other than color. IIRC DAP Weldwood makes it. It is a
brown powder that you mix with water.
I recall using it in shop class when I was in school.

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ca...TIC-RESIN-GLUE

. com...

PDQ December 8th 04 04:54 PM

Main complaint with Urea Formaldehyde is it is a carcinogen.

--=20

PDQ
--
=20
"Charlie Self" wrote in message =
| Leon responds:
|=20
| Not like hide glue other than color. IIRC DAP Weldwood makes it. =
It is a=20

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ca...3874194/ccsyn=

/
| 260/_x_/BuilderDepot-com-00203-LB-PLASTIC-RESIN-GLUE
|
| "Rob V" wrote in message=20
| .com...
| What exactly is this magical stuff that DM uses?
|
| Is this just normal Hide glue?
|=20
| Try:
| =
http://www.dap.com/retail/retail_det...tid=3D103&pro=
dhdrid=3D42
|=20
| It cannot be legally used in several states so check the on-site info =
there.
|=20
| Good stuff where legal. Urea formaldehyde resin.
|=20
| I'm not sure what the beef against it is in those few states where it =
can't be
| sold.
|=20

Slowhand December 8th 04 05:01 PM

"Rob V" wrote in message
. com...
What exactly is this magical stuff that DM uses?

Is this just normal Hide glue?

Nope. It's plastic resin glue. It does have a longer open time than say
yellow glue but not as long as true hide glue. I use prg to glue up bent
laminations.
SH

John December 8th 04 06:43 PM

At what exposure levels?? Or is this one of those Republic of
Kalifornia things where just about ANYTHING is a carcinogen in big
enough or long enough exposure???

John

Leon December 8th 04 07:12 PM

"PDQ" wrote in message
Main complaint with Urea Formaldehyde is it is a carcinogen

Ummm, that is only true in California though, right? ;~)

I have a bag of charcoal that has a warning label for California residents.

Thomas Bunetta December 8th 04 07:40 PM

Try this link:
http://www.djmarks.com/stories/faq/3..._the_46688.asp
Tom

. com...

Lee Gordon December 8th 04 07:47 PM

I have a bag of charcoal that has a warning label for California
residents.

What does it say, "Don't hold briquets in bare hand after you've lit them on
fire?"

Lee

Joe C. December 8th 04 09:11 PM

"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in message

"Rob V" wrote in message
. com...
What exactly is this magical stuff that DM uses?

Is this just normal Hide glue?

Nope. It's plastic resin glue. It does have a longer open time than say
yellow glue but not as long as true hide glue. I use prg to glue up bent
laminations.
SH

For bent laminations, PRG has the added benefit of not being susceptible to
creep like a lot of other glues.

J. Clarke December 9th 04 02:08 AM

John wrote:

At what exposure levels?? Or is this one of those Republic of
Kalifornia things where just about ANYTHING is a carcinogen in big
enough or long enough exposure???

I'm surprised they don't try to hang a warning tag on each oxygen molecule.

John

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:54:16 -0500, "PDQ" wrote:

Main complaint with Urea Formaldehyde is it is a carcinogen.

--

PDQ

--
--John