Scott Lindars

Default What to do with $2500

Let's just say I had about $2500 to spend on my starter shop, what
would people buy.
Here is what I have

Power Tools.
A craftmsan 10" table saw with a crappy fence and a burnt out 1HP
motor.
A Floor length drill press. No problems thus far.
New Hitachi Compound Miter saw.
Ryobi router
ROS, Belt Sander, palm sander
A few drills.
A old scroll saw that I've never used.
A tiny old, old shop vac.

Hand tools:
A nice Lei-Neilson dovetail saw
The normal things like hammers, screw drivers, etc.
A record low angle block plane.
A old Stanley Jack plane that needs a new blade, and maybe a new frog.
A decent collection of bar clamps 24"-6'
Well see what my wife gets for christmas. I've asked a bunch of basic
woodworking hand tools to round out the collection( sharpening stones,
compound bevels, marking gauge, etc)

Now that the table say motor is dead I'm thinking of replacing that
with a cabinet saw. I'd like to see a 6" jointer, 14-17" bandsaw,
planer, and maybe a dust collector in the shop. That is about all I
have room for. Any other large tools like drum sanders would probably
share space on a mobile cart with the planer. The shop is about
20'x10'

DSphotog

FYI - If you live anywhere near the Long Island, NY area, you could contact
me. I have a complete woodworking shop that I'm looking to sell. I can't do
it anymore due to disability.

Best,
Dave

Marc

Delta X cabinet saw (52' table), good dado set, good blade (forest),
mobility kit. Leaves about $400 for a router table, or a jointer (shopmaster
or griz). Wait for the next $2500 for a quality bandsaw (laguna 14se) and
bench top planer. Sell the Lie Nielsen Dove saw and scroll saw on Ebay and
get something more practical like a $150 dust collector (shopmaster) at
lowes. It all fits, I know, I have it all and more in a 9' by 20' space.
Then, expand the shop. Next $2500 get ..., Next $2500 get ...,Next $2500
get ..., Next $2500 get ...,

"Scott Lindars" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Mike Reed

It really depends on what you want to build. My experience is based on
"cabinetmaking," as opposed to turning or making boxes, for instance.

I would get the basics right away: table saw and bandsaw. I would get a
planer before a jointer if you don't get both (I only have a planer,
and I have no intentions of getting a jointer, as I use my Record #07
for that work. Get 220V running to your shop if it isn't already. Get a
dust collector.

After that, I would build a bench. Buy any tools along the way that
would make the project easier. Mortiser? Drum sander? Mortise chisels
and handplanes?

If you have money left, set it aside. Start getting through your
project list. Let your projects and your work style determine your shop
setup. Some folks like more hand tools, and some more power tools.
Don't blow your budget on what you think you'll need, and then find out
that it's constraining future projects forcing SWMBO to sign off on a
new budget.

-Mike

toller

I love it when people ask questions like this, and we have no idea what you
intend on doing, or what your experience is.

Dave Hall

Well, I think he asked "what would people buy", not "what should I
buy". Therefor if inclined to answer, tell him what you would buy if
you already had just the stuff he mentioned. Me, I would go for a Griz
1023 cabinet saw, deck it out with some blades, dado set, etc. (say
$1,200). I would get a HF dust collector with some after market 5
micron bags from Penn state (say $190 total), a decent 6" jointer - no
particular suggestions as I have never looked (say $500), a DeWalt
planer (which one I am not sure) ( about $300 to $500). Then some good
ebay stanley planes, some decent brad point and forstner bits, and if
money allowed a decent router (which I doubt the Ryobi is).

Then I would be bummed that I had no bandsaw and probably would rethink
the whole priority list

Dave Hall

loutent

Hi Scott,

I would put in % terms regardless of actual budget,
but your's is certainly adequate to start):

1. 10" table saw (30%) - $750
2. 14" band saw (25%) - $625
3. 6" jointer (25%) - $625
4. 12-13" planer (15%) - $375
5. 1.5 HP DC system (15%) - $375

A little over budget, but in woodworking, everything
in "nominal" anyway.

Have fun!

Lou

In article . com,
Scott Lindars wrote:

[...]

I would go see my local tool dealer and ask his advice. Tell him that
you have a budget of $2500.00 and ask him to put a package together for
you at the best price. $2500 is a nice order and I would have
certainly worked with you getting you the most for your dollar. Tell
your dealer what kind of woodworking you do and ask him his guidance.
I believe you will come out better this way and plus you will build a
nice working relationship with the dealer. Next time you are ready to
buy, he will treat you right again. I would look at a Delta contractor
saw with Biesemeyer fence, a 6" jointer( which ever manufacture that
can give you the best $)and a Delta USA 14" bandsaw and a Delta 13"
bench planer and a dust collector. Good luck and happy woodworking!!
Mike from American Sycamore

Scott Lindars

My experience is beginner/intermediate. My intention is furnitiure
making for our house. No desire to get into wood turning at the
momment. I like to work with handtools, love using my planes.
Hope that clears it up.

toller

"Scott Lindars" wrote in message
ups.com...
My experience is beginner/intermediate. My intention is furnitiure
making for our house. No desire to get into wood turning at the
momment. I like to work with handtools, love using my planes.
Hope that clears it up.

I have bought all of my equipment used ; but if I had your budget and plenty
of rooom...

Table saw 600
Jointer 400
Planer 400
Router Table 200
Router 200 (for router table)
Blades/Bits 200
Air Filter 200
Misc 100
Dust Collector 200

I don't have a band saw and have never missed it, but some people love them.
Besides, you don't have the budget for it.

If $2500 is your absolute limit, you might want to look for some used
equipment and make your own router table.

Lazarus Long

On 7 Dec 2004 11:41:41 -0800, "Scott Lindars"
wrote:

[...]

I think what you buy is dependent on what you want to build. I
started with a table saw, then got a planer and jointer in rapid
sucession. Then a floor standing drill press. Some hand tools along
the way.

Through it all, the projects I had skill and desire to build decided
which tools I would buy.

I still have a Craftsman TS as you describe, except I put a Biesemeyer
fence on it. And the motor isn't burnt out. That fence is the only
thing that allowed me to keep that saw. It's a god send.

So assuming you build things as I do, I'd fix that saw, it's actually
o.k., not great, o.k. A planer and jointer are high on my list. I
started with a 6", but later bought a Delta DJ-20. If you like
mortise & tenon joints, a hollow chisel mortiser is good to have.
lots of outlets around the shop.

The ideas are not limited to any of that, it again goes back to what
projects are in the pipe so to speak. Buy what you need, not what
looks good when you show off to friends.
Lazarus Long

On 7 Dec 2004 15:25:33 -0800, "Scott Lindars"
wrote:

My experience is beginner/intermediate. My intention is furnitiure
making for our house. No desire to get into wood turning at the
momment. I like to work with handtools, love using my planes.
Hope that clears it up.

One other thing, and this is important - get a subscription to a good
woodworking magazine like Woodsmith. I began with woodsmith 'cause it
has decent projects. That, and the author walks you though their
construction. It's very instructive.

Later, a magazine like Fine Woodworking. Less on specific steps you
need to do to complete something, more in the area of showing advanced
things and a technique for some detail of it.

Much later, a magazine like "Woodwork" where the projects can get so
"out there" I've no idea how the builder managed to put them together,
but obviously did.

Further, check out the bombe vitrine cabinet on
www.jeffgreefwoodworking.com Jeff provides complete instructions for
building one, however, like FWW, he does expect that you know
something about joining one piece of wood to another.

Prometheus

wrote:

Let's just say I had about $2500 to spend on my starter shop, what
would people buy.

That's a decent chunk of change for some good tools- just make sure
you set some aside for wood!

I'd get a decent table saw (in the shop you've got, it might not be a
bad idea to get a contractor's saw rather than a megolithic cabinet
saw), a bandsaw, a thickness planer, a bench grinder, a biscut cutter,
a good set of chisels, a hand plane, and spend the rest (if you've got
any left) on wood.

Now that the table say motor is dead I'm thinking of replacing that
with a cabinet saw. I'd like to see a 6" jointer, 14-17" bandsaw,
planer, and maybe a dust collector in the shop. That is about all I
have room for. Any other large tools like drum sanders would probably
share space on a mobile cart with the planer. The shop is about
20'x10'

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Dan

On Tue 07 Dec 2004 06:07:22p, "toller" wrote in news:
:

Table saw 600
Jointer 400
Planer 400
Router Table 200
Router 200 (for router table)
Blades/Bits 200
Air Filter 200
Misc 100
Dust Collector 200

Hey Toller, what 400 dollar jointer would you get? I thought I had to spend
over six for a decent one. I've got a vintage craftsman 4'', but the bed's
so short I can't get a decent edge on anything longer than two feet.

Morris Dovey

Scott Lindars wrote:

My experience is beginner/intermediate. My intention is
furnitiure making for our house. No desire to get into wood
turning at the momment. I like to work with handtools, love
using my planes. Hope that clears it up.

Set the funds aside. Make the decisions you need to on the
furniture you want to build. Once that's done, buy enough wood to
get started. Along the way, use the funds you've set aside to buy
the tools you need to produce the work at hand.

This is a question you can answer best for yourself. If you don't
already have a good solid woodworking bench, I'd suggest building
that as a prelude to the house furniture.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Scott Lindars wrote:
My experience is beginner/intermediate. My intention is furnitiure
making for our house. No desire to get into wood turning at the
momment. I like to work with handtools, love using my planes.
Hope that clears it up.

Table saw:
Jet JWTS-10JF $650
or Ridgid TS3650 $549

Jointer:
Sunhill CT-60L $329

Planer:
Dewalt DW735 $479
or Dewalt DW734 $379

Dust collector:
Delta AP400 $159

Band saw:
Grizzly G0555 $375

Router:
Porter Cable 693LRPK $152

Total $1943.

Other good things: a Forrest WWII saw blade ($100), a bunch of clamps
from Harbor Freight ($50), a few Hirsch firmer chisels and an 8mm
mortising chisel from Lee Valley, a couple of machinists squares, a
hook rule.

Sorry ... %^$^ new Google interface causing me problems, too. Last
message is blank to me ... so to repost:

Table saw:
Jet JWTS-10JF $650
or Ridgid TS3650 $549

Jointer:
Sunhill CT-60L $329

Planer:
Dewalt DW735 $479
or Dewalt DW734 $379

Dust collector:
Delta AP400 $159

Band saw:
Grizzly G0555 $375

Router:
Porter Cable 693LRPK $152

Total $1943.

Silvan

Prometheus wrote:

I'd get a decent table saw (in the shop you've got, it might not be a
bad idea to get a contractor's saw rather than a megolithic cabinet
saw), a bandsaw, a thickness planer, a bench grinder, a biscut cutter,

Just to voice a dissenting opinion... Contractor's saws are already pretty
megolithic if you get any kind of good one, and if money and weight aren't
factors, it seems to me a no brainer to go ahead and get real saw.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

toller

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue 07 Dec 2004 06:07:22p, "toller" wrote in news:
:

Table saw 600
Jointer 400
Planer 400
Router Table 200
Router 200 (for router table)
Blades/Bits 200
Air Filter 200
Misc 100
Dust Collector 200

Hey Toller, what 400 dollar jointer would you get? I thought I had to
spend
over six for a decent one. I've got a vintage craftsman 4'', but the bed's
so short I can't get a decent edge on anything longer than two feet.

I have a Delta 37-190 that I am very happy with. I bought it used for $175,
but new they go for about $375.

It did a great job on a 4' tabletop I just glued up.

Stephen M

I too am into making furniture for the home. I would say that I'm a perhaps
a a half dozen years ahead ofyou though.

My thoughts on the big tooling:

In the contractor's saw vs. Cabinet saw debate, I would say go for the
cabinet saw. I would not make that recomendation to a newbie, but it sounds
like you have been at this long enough (acquired a fair amount of tooling
and dedicated shop space) to realize that this is a hobby that will not
abandon. If that is the case, buy the cabinet saw and it will be your last.

Buying a new tablesaw is an easy choice as you really need to do something
about your crapsman.

Hang onto the rest of your money. It takes time to set up and learn how to
get the most out of a new tool. Stagger your purchases so that you don't
have to fugure out the tuning and technique nuances of several machines at
once.

If you want to get into rough-cut lumber. a planer and jointer should be
close in the list.

I got by with just a planer for quite a while it works, but your stock will
not be dead-on straight and flat. The unanticipated benefit of getting a
jointer, was that all of my cuts were just a little but more accurate
because I had dead-flat/square stock riding slolidly on the table saw top
and fence. (including stock purchased presurfaced) It was suprising how
jointing translated into a subtle but almost universal step up in quality
(how tightly parts fit). I use jointed framing lumber (2by's) for all sorts
of "doesn't have to be pretty" work. framing lumber is notoriously
unstraight, but that is not a concern if it is jointed.

Bandssaws: I'm relatively new to them. I'm still feeling my way through it.
I don't see resawing as a "hust-have" application for intermediate
woodworking. You can resaw up to 6" with a table saw (3" from each side) in
a pinch. However, if you *need* to cut curves in thick stock you want a
bandsaw. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy using my bandsaw, and it makes
alot of things easier and more accurate, but thick curves is the only thing
that I really could not find another way to accomplish. I would suggest
waiting on the BS until the next windfall.

Smaller stuff: Simply buy it as you need it.

Cheers,

Steve

igor

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:33:54 GMT, "Marc"
wrote:

Delta X cabinet saw (52' table)

That's huge, dude.
John McCoy

"Scott Lindars" wrote in news:1102461933.056122.23370
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

My experience is beginner/intermediate. My intention is furnitiure
making for our house. No desire to get into wood turning at the
momment. I like to work with handtools, love using my planes.
Hope that clears it up.

This is an aside from your topic, but you're in Broward, right?
You do know about International Tool, located on Davie Rd Extension
just south of 595? Generally the best prices on serious tools in
this neck of the woods.

Anyway, as others have alluded to, how fast do you want to build
your shop? You could buy a decent contractors saw ($800) and
a 14" bandsaw ($550), and a 6" jointer ($600) and a 12" planer
($400) and use up the $2500 that way; or you could buy a higher
spec cabinet saw ($1700) and a really good combination blade and
a dado set, and use the the whole $2500 there. Then when you find
more money, get the others in high-spec sizes as you can.

John
Scott Lindars

I am in Broward. I will have to check that place out. You must be
here to. SWFG member?

Mike

wrote:

Let's just say I had about $2500 to spend on my starter shop, what
would people buy.

Since I work with wood for a living, I'd buy a big screen TV and a 12
pack.

Mike