John Moorhead

Default 'nuther electrical query redux

Folks -

Okay, Uncle! From all those responses you'd think I was giving away a free
night with Paris Hilton, a NOS 1939 Unisaur, 500 BF of the wood of your
choice, and any three of Steve Knight's planes... But I digress...

Thank you for all of your responses, even the homicidal ones... I *am* a
layman, and if my terminology was unclear, I apologise. What I had intended
to do, was to have a single run of 12/3 feed two 20a circuits, so that I
would only have to wrassle with one string of romex. I wanted to have two,
two plug units in a duplex box, each plug unit being on a separate circuit,
sharing a neutral and ground. Using ASCII, this is kinda what I was
after...

C1 C2

I I I I
\ n / \ n /
/ n \ / n \
I I I I

But, I also want to have things protected by GFCI... So, I'll take the long
way and play it safe... I've taken the 12/3 back in exchange for 12/2 and
will have completely separate wire runs...

I am sure I'll have more questions. Who do you want next to go with an old
Parks 36" bandsaw, Halle Berry?

Let me know...

John

Unisaw A100

John Moorhead wrote:
Who do you want next to go with an old
Parks 36" bandsaw, Halle Berry?

You can keep the gurl but please post a picture
the band saw.

UA100

Bob

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
. com...
Folks -

Okay, Uncle! From all those responses you'd think I was giving away a

free
night with Paris Hilton,

I wouldn't take that even if you gave it away. You just happened to pick
the oldest, most controversial, most disputed topic of the wreck -
electricity. It doesn't behave logically, is invisible, and everyone has to
have it. So we make up incantations and have fights about it.

Have fun!

Bob

Swingman

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

Okay, Uncle! From all those responses you'd think I was giving away a

free
night with Paris Hilton

No thanks ... but a good example of overdoing split receptacles.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

John Moorhead

Swingman -

Help me here; I don't understand how this is overdoing it... I like (at
least on paper) the idea of having two plug nits on separate circuits in the
same box for convenience - shop vac on one, big honkin' router on the other,
for example... Are you saying it would be better to have a string of
outlets on alternate circuits, say 4' apart??

I appreciate your input...

John Moorhead

Swingman

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
Swingman -

Help me here; I don't understand how this is overdoing it...

Paris Hilton, John ... not you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

igor

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 16:23:50 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

Swingman -

Help me here; I don't understand how this is overdoing it... I like (at
least on paper) the idea of having two plug nits on separate circuits in the
same box for convenience - shop vac on one, big honkin' router on the other,
for example... Are you saying it would be better to have a string of
outlets on alternate circuits, say 4' apart??

I appreciate your input...

John -- Might he have been referring to Paris Hilton (your reference) as "a
good example of overdoing split receptacles"? -- Igor

Swingman

"John Moorhead" wrote in message

I like (at
least on paper) the idea of having two plug nits on separate circuits in

the
same box for convenience - shop vac on one, big honkin' router on the

other,
for example... Are you saying it would be better to have a string of
outlets on alternate circuits, say 4' apart??

A split circuit duplex receptacle is a common configuration in kitchens. You
generally see them where one side is also switched for a dishwasher or
garbage disposal. Practically speaking, and despite what you say above, I am
not so sure why you would want to do this in your shop as separately wired
circuits are much easier to handle DIYwise, not to mention that you may find
required, and _easy_ ,GFCI protection, which appears to be one of your
requirements, to be more expensive than the extra wire for separate
circuits.

However, and in lieu of all the advice (and condescending BS) floating
around here, and for some additional GFCI information, have a thorough read
of "ernies" discussion at the following:

http://www.handymanwire.com/ubbthrea...=11&o=&fpart=1

Although I haven't gone over it with a fine tooth comb, it appears to be a
pretty good, and calm, take on subject and will hopefully clear up some of
your questions.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Mike Marlow

"Swingman" wrote in message

However, and in lieu of all the advice (and condescending BS) floating
around here, and for some additional GFCI information, have a thorough

read
of "ernies" discussion at the following:

Damn - I'm not the only one who got a little reactive this morning.
--

-Mike-

Swingman

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message

However, and in lieu of all the advice (and condescending BS)

Damn - I'm not the only one who got a little reactive this morning.

If you're referring to "condescending BS" .. not "reactive", just "reality".
It is, and always has been, an apparent necessary component of every
electrical discussion from the get go.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04