Tony B

Default Diefenbach Bench

I'm looking to buy a quality woodworking bench. Any opinions on Diefenbach
benches? Alternatives?
Many thanks
Tony

Dave W

For a woodworker to BUY a bench is a little like starting the fishing trip
at the fish market. Build a bench, you will save a ton of money and have
some fun in the process!

"Tony B" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a quality woodworking bench. Any opinions on
Diefenbach
benches? Alternatives?
Many thanks
Tony

Hank Gillette

In article ,
"Dave W" wrote:

For a woodworker to BUY a bench is a little like starting the fishing trip
at the fish market. Build a bench, you will save a ton of money and have
some fun in the process!

Do you think a commercial fisherman builds his own boat?

--
Hank Gillette
Bill

"Tony B" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a quality woodworking bench. Any opinions on
Diefenbach
benches? Alternatives?
Many thanks
Tony

Totally agree. Build it!
I built the Shopnotes bench, and it was one of the most satisfying things I
ever did. I use it almost very time I go into the shop. I also learned
quite a bit doing it.

It is the center of my shop.

Dave W

Actually, I live in a fishing village and can attest that a good many
commercial fishermen built their own boats in the days of wood vessels.
Even today, some buy a fiberglas hull and "finish the boat off". This way
they save a ton of money and they have complete control over the quality of
the work.
"Hank Gillette" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dave W" wrote:

For a woodworker to BUY a bench is a little like starting the fishing
trip
at the fish market. Build a bench, you will save a ton of money and have
some fun in the process!

Do you think a commercial fisherman builds his own boat?

--
Hank Gillette

Guess who

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:14:10 -0500, "Dave W"
wrote:

For a woodworker to BUY a bench is a little like starting the fishing trip
at the fish market. Build a bench, you will save a ton of money and have
some fun in the process!

If you don't need a bench to build one, why do you need one?

Just kididng. However, it is not necessary for a woodworker to build
his own bench, make his own planes and chisels etc.. There are some
things that can be bought so that you can get on with the things you
do want to spend time on.

That said, if you feel like building one for the joy of it ...go for
it. I inherited mine, 9' by 2'6", from a neighbour when moving: solid
maple, even the drawer handles, with a ton of drawer space, so that's
even better. Now I build stuff for the kids mostly.

Tony B

Thanks to all who have replied saying I should build a bench, not buy one. I've
seriously considered this, and the bottom line is that my workshop time (which I
don't get enough of!) is for making musical instruments, and I don't want the
diversion of making a bench.

If anyone has a Diefenbach bench and is willing to venture an opinion on
quality, durability, etc, I'd be pleased to hear from them. Likewise, if anyone
has another make of quality bench, I'd like to hear their opinions on that too.

Thanks
Tony

In article , Tony B says...

I'm looking to buy a quality woodworking bench. Any opinions on Diefenbach
benches? Alternatives?
Many thanks
Tony

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On 3 Dec 2004 08:54:55 -0800, Tony B wrote:
Thanks to all who have replied saying I should build a bench, not buy
one. I've seriously considered this, and the bottom line is that my
workshop time (which I don't get enough of!) is for making musical
instruments, and I don't want the diversion of making a bench.

If anyone has a Diefenbach bench and is willing to venture an opinion
on quality, durability, etc, I'd be pleased to hear from them.
Likewise, if anyone has another make of quality bench, I'd like to
hear their opinions on that too.

It might be too big for your intended use. I've seen Luthiers with a
small pile of plywood pieces just large enough to clamp up a guitar and
a fixture that allows easy repositioning of the workpiece.

This allows them to have several projects in progress at once but not
requiring them to reclamp each one.

There's a chapter in The Workbench Book that has similar ideas.

Ba r r y

wrote:

For a woodworker to BUY a bench is a little like starting the fishing trip
at the fish market.

Nope.

The ultimate bench? Build it. A bench to get rolling? Buying one
isn't so bad.

It takes a while to know what the ultimate bench means.

Barry
WoodMangler

Hank Gillette wrote:
In article ,
"Dave W" wrote:

For a woodworker to BUY a bench is a little like starting the fishing trip
at the fish market. Build a bench, you will save a ton of money and have
some fun in the process!

Do you think a commercial fisherman builds his own boat?

Well... In the Apalachicola Bay area of FL, most of the commercial
oystermen and fishermen do just that. Out of plywood.
Saw an article not too long ago in which a landlord was complaining of
an ex tenant stealing the floor out of the mobile home he was renting
from her, he needed a new boat.