Jim Kooi

Default Source for Amber Glass (for Stickley Repro)

I'm making a Stickley Music Cabinet (#70) and would like to use authentic
hammered amber glass for the door. Anyone know of a source?

Leon

"Jim Kooi" wrote in message
I'm making a Stickley Music Cabinet (#70) and would like to use authentic
hammered amber glass for the door. Anyone know of a source?

Look in the yellow pages under Stained Glass supply and or a Hobby Lobby if
you have one near. Stained glass supplier or retail stores should have
hammered, glue chip, antique etc.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:12:49 -0500, "Jim Kooi"
wrote:

I'm making a Stickley Music Cabinet (#70) and would like to use authentic
hammered amber glass for the door. Anyone know of a source?

Try rec.crafts.glass, or just look at local suppliers. Art glass is
pretty easy to get hold of these days.

Stickley used some pretty ugly glass. Modern glass offers far more
range and some more attractive patterns and textures. I'm working on a
lot of Craftsman design stuff these days, in conjunction with a local
glass worker, and we're having a great time with it. My favoured stuff
is a brown and white "cloudy ripple" with a surface that's nominally
made flat, but actually has a small texture to it. Works beautifully
with fumed oak and is a lot more subtle than the pressed surface
"hammered" glass that was popularly used around 1900.

You'll probably end up using German glass. It's expensive, but the
Californian glass I've seen was a truly insane price.

--
Smert' spamionam
philski

Jim Kooi wrote:
I'm making a Stickley Music Cabinet (#70) and would like to use authentic
hammered amber glass for the door. Anyone know of a source?

Try looking at stained glass studios. They either have or can order the
glass you need.

Philski
res055a5

www.delphi.com
stained glass supplies.
if you need further sources, email me and i'll send you more.
rich

res055a5

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...2Fnsearch.html
found a source...above.
rich

"Jim Kooi" wrote in message
I'm making a Stickley Music Cabinet (#70) and would like to use authentic
hammered amber glass for the door. Anyone know of a source?

Charles Spitzer

"res055a5" wrote in message
www.delphi.com
stained glass supplies.
if you need further sources, email me and i'll send you more.
rich

stained glass is almost always better to buy in person. you get colors and
texture you want, unless you're buying something that has a constant color
or can trust the people picking from the racks to translate what you tell
them. they'll cut it to the size you want. also, shipping on glass is a
lot, especially if you're only getting a few sheets. a full crate, on the
other hand, is relatively cheap.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

WoodMangler

res055a5 wrote:
www.delphi.com
stained glass supplies.
if you need further sources, email me and i'll send you more.
rich

That's actually a satellite radio site.
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:37:17 -0500, WoodMangler
spake the words:

res055a5 wrote:
www.delphi.com
stained glass supplies.
if you need further sources, email me and i'll send you more.
rich

That's actually a satellite radio site.

Try www.alpineglass.com , www.delphiglass.com , www.spectrumglass.com
, and last but not least, www.uroboros.com .

Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com
It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design
Jim Kooi

Thanks everyone. Rich, your link took me to what looks like possibly the
perfect stuff (Wissmach "Cathedral" hammered amber), and it turns out there
are several big art glass stores within about an hour's drive (I'm in Ann
Arbor, MI.). Delphi is one of them (Lansing, MI) and they carry Wissmach so
I'll start there.

"Jim Kooi" wrote in message
I'm making a Stickley Music Cabinet (#70) and would like to use authentic
hammered amber glass for the door. Anyone know of a source?

Charles Spitzer

res055a5 wrote:
www.delphi.com
stained glass supplies.
if you need further sources, email me and i'll send you more.
rich

That's actually a satellite radio site.

Try www.alpineglass.com , www.delphiglass.com , www.spectrumglass.com
, and last but not least, www.uroboros.com .

actually, unless you buy a full crate or are near spectrum or uroboros
(throw in kokomo http://www.kog.com/ or bullseye
http://www.bullseyeglass.com/), you can't buy from the factory.

try http://warner-criv.com/ for a really good selection.

Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com
It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

Michael Lehr

If you are making one of these cabinets why would you ever think of
making it with amber glass. It is much easier and a far a more elegant
design with leaded glass. You can get the leading done easily in any
area of the country.

Andy Dingley

On 6 Dec 2004 17:38:52 -0800, "Michael Lehr" wrote:

why would you ever think of making it with amber glass.
It is much easier and a far a more elegant
design with leaded glass.

Equally, why would you ever use fumed oak as a finish, when biscuit
joints are so much quicker ?

Sorry, your comment just doesn't make any sense.

Jim Kooi wrote:
I'm making a Stickley Music Cabinet (#70) and would like to use

authentic
hammered amber glass for the door. Anyone know of a source?

Jim

I have worked with stained Glass for several years form lamps to doors
and windows. Most of the information has already been posted excellent
sources online are Delphi, Warner Crevillaro in PA. If you are loking
for a particular texture and color I highly suggest you look at various
glass in person close to where you live. Glass will vary greatly in
texture and color especially if you are looking at expensive European
hand rolled glass. It is not easy looking at pictures of glass to
appreciate the textures and color especially under a light (amazing
difference).

Michael Lehr

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 6 Dec 2004 17:38:52 -0800, "Michael Lehr" wrote:

why would you ever think of making it with amber glass.
It is much easier and a far a more elegant
design with leaded glass.

Equally, why would you ever use fumed oak as a finish, when biscuit
joints are so much quicker ?

Sorry, your comment just doesn't make any sense.

I think you missed my point, these cabinets were made three ways. A
solid wooden door, an amber glass door and a leaded glass door. The
variation with leaded glass is the most pleasing of the three. If you
were going to spend the time and effort to make one. Why wouldn't you
make the finest one you could. Michael