todd the wood junkie

Default TATF 10% off

A year ago I looked at Tropical American Tree Farms to have them raise
some teak as a financial investment. Before I even considered
investing money, I asked them for references and they gave me 3 (2 of
which were in my city). I called each and everyone basically said the
same thing. That the people running the show were trustworthy, but
that there were 2 main problems:

1. The 8-10 year 'thinnings' didn't produce commercially usable teak
since it was so young. Young teak doesn't have the water/rot
resistence the older stuff has. Basically you had to wait 25 years
before you'd have something in return. To solve that problem they
were trying to create a market for that young wood with their own line
of very high end 'indoor' furniture. Not sure where that's going.

2. The company had no board of directors, so if something happend to
the owners, you could be outta luck.

Now I get spammed from them saying they will sell you 3 year old teak
trees, which are supposedly 30 ft tall, for %10 percent off the newly
planted prices. Sounds interesting for woodworking, since you have
only 5 yrs approx to wait until you have a decent supply of teak.

Has anyone actually done this with the intent of getting cheap
tropical wood for woodworking? Is it financially viable to get the
wood shipped to you from the thinnings? Any similar experiences?

Swingman

"George" wrote in message
Seems as if we had a contributor who was in the teak farming business who
spent quite a bit of time unloading his share of wood. Anyone remember

the
name?

Jeremy?

http://tinyurl.com/5z9tp