loutent

Default A Bessey convert! (no more pipes for me)

Just got the 24/40 Bessey set that I ordered from Amazon last week
($100 delivered). All I can say is now I know why woodworkers like
these so much. These are my first Bessey's - for the last 15+ years or
so I have used pipe clamps.

First, I was impressed with the weight of the clamps - I never expected
this - really well machined, silky mechanism & heavy duty.

Second, the operation is so simple, that I can't see how it would bind
(unless you got glue on it or something). My pipe clamps seem to bind
at the worst times during a glue-up. Now I know why Norm uses them.

Third, they have a nice deep throat (good movie title ;-). The pony
pipe fixtures I use(d) have a too small throat for many situations.

Fourth, the Bessey block set that came with the clamps will make
panel/door assemblies a lot easier & effecient.

Lastly, the price of these clamps ($25 each at this price) is not a
whole lot more than buying the pipe fixture & black pipe.

If you have never tried a Bessey, you might want to give them a try.
Amazon's current price of $140 is not bad if you use a $25 coupon, but
if you check often, and see them drop to $125, you might want to grab
one (and forget about Rockler).

From now on, my pipes will be back-up to the Bessey collection which I
have only just started.

(I guess this is sort of a mini gloat).

Lou
GregP

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:30:48 -0500, loutent wrote:

First, I was impressed with the weight of the clamps - I never expected
this - really well machined, silky mechanism & heavy duty.

Yes, they're definitely heavy, but I am not sure why
that is an attribute in this case.

Hank Gillette

In article ,
loutent wrote:

If you have never tried a Bessey, you might want to give them a try.
Amazon's current price of $140 is not bad if you use a $25 coupon, but
if you check often, and see them drop to $125, you might want to grab
one (and forget about Rockler).

Where do you get a $25 coupon?

--
Hank Gillette
loutent

In article , Rumpty
wrote:

What do you do when you have a 8' glue up to do?

Like I said, this was my first Bessey purchase.

If I have to do a large glue-up, I'll use my pipes (have 6 footers).
For more, I screw them together with a union.

There are 98 inch Besseys for around $75 I believe.

Lou

Leon

Often when you are shopping at Amazon your coupon so to speak is a discount
code that is entered at check out. You get the code when clicking "Learn
More" about the $25 discount.

"Hank Gillette" wrote in message
In article ,
loutent wrote:

If you have never tried a Bessey, you might want to give them a try.
Amazon's current price of $140 is not bad if you use a $25 coupon, but
if you check often, and see them drop to $125, you might want to grab
one (and forget about Rockler).

Where do you get a $25 coupon?

--
Hank Gillette

patriarch

"Rumpty" wrote in
:

What do you do when you have a 8' glue up to do?

Nobody throws away clamps! Just because there are 20 of one type doesn't
mean that there aren't a dozen of another, in another corner.

You're right, though. Only David Eisan has KBodies big enough to do a king
sized bed, but he uses them to glue up kitchen cabinet doors. The rest of
us use pipes for the big stuff.

This time of year, though, there's no room to do 8' glue ups. Those are
done outside, when the weather permits, in my 'shop annex', where the truck
usually is parked.

Patriarch
Slowhand

"Rumpty" wrote in message
What do you do when you have a 8' glue up to do?

Buy the 98" besseys? What do I win?
SH

John

For up to 8ft glue up's, I use my 100in GrossStabil PC2 clamps vbg

Bessey makes a 98in Kbody

John

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:34:42 -0500, "Rumpty"
wrote:

What do you do when you have a 8' glue up to do?

mac davis

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:12:58 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

"Rumpty" wrote in
:

What do you do when you have a 8' glue up to do?

Nobody throws away clamps! Just because there are 20 of one type doesn't
mean that there aren't a dozen of another, in another corner.

You're right, though. Only David Eisan has KBodies big enough to do a king
sized bed, but he uses them to glue up kitchen cabinet doors. The rest of
us use pipes for the big stuff.

This time of year, though, there's no room to do 8' glue ups. Those are
done outside, when the weather permits, in my 'shop annex', where the truck
usually is parked.

Patriarch

put a bench dog on the front bumper and a backstop on the rear shop
wall?

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Freezing Pipes or Pipes frozen could the Instant Hot Water Recirculator from RedyTemp work [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 11th 04 12:18 PM