WoodMangler

Default WTF?

Howard wrote:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

First time I saw this, I figured the site was hacked, and it would be
taken down shortly. But as of today, it's been there 4 days.

--
Howard Lee Harkness
My opinionated book reviews on sales topics

Free shipping?!?! I think i'll buy two!

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howard" wrote in message

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

First time I saw this, I figured the site was hacked, and it would be
taken down shortly. But as of today, it's been there 4 days.

But it says it won't be available for 4 to 8 weeks. Bummer if you planned
on giving it for Christmas.

Paul Franklin

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:51:11 GMT, Howard wrote:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

First time I saw this, I figured the site was hacked, and it would be
taken down shortly. But as of today, it's been there 4 days.

Well, I waited in line all night to get some, but wouldn't you know
it, I was like, the 200th person in line, and they only had enough for
the first 190 or so burnouts. Realy warps my joist when a store
advertises something like this and doesn't have enough for the demand!

But I showed them; while all the folks were pushing and shoviing, I
went and bought out everything in the snack aisle, knowing that it
wouldn't be long before demand rose....made a killing in the parking
lot a short while later....

But seriously, search for the item in question on Target's
site...seems they are a hotbed of the counterculture.

WoodMangler

Dave Jackson wrote:
I just drove to the store and bought all they had. It makes a great
stocking stuffer, and for the price....

Someone was talking about turning tobacco pipes the other day... Gotta
look at those plans. Might not be too hard to turn a bong. At these
prices, who can resist???
Edwin Pawlowski

"johnny rotten" wrote in message

The web admins gonna catch **** for that one.

Or maybe a raise. Look at the publicity Target got from it.

Dan

On Sun 28 Nov 2004 12:51:11p, Howard wrote in
:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

First time I saw this, I figured the site was hacked, and it would be
taken down shortly. But as of today, it's been there 4 days.

--

.... and it's right there in the Substance Abuse section. Of course.

Although when I go to the main Substance Abuse section, hoping to fill my
coffers with even more substances, all I find is a bunch of books.
Joe

Even better deal he

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B00005087P

and he

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0000256JA

--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

"Howard" wrote in message
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

First time I saw this, I figured the site was hacked, and it would be
taken down shortly. But as of today, it's been there 4 days.

--
Howard Lee Harkness
My opinionated book reviews on sales topics
http://book-reviews.hostpci.com

Charlie Self

Johnny Rotten responds:

The web admins gonna catch **** for that one.
"Howard" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

I'd guess, if the thing has been up for several days, that the site admin guy
or gal put it there because they had caught hell, maybe gotten fired.

Target is the corporation that won't allow Salvation Army kettles in front of
its doors because other charities might want to do something similar.

I'll be curious to see their reaction to this, if it becomes public. Some kind
of public explanation is probably needed.

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Lobby Dosser

otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Johnny Rotten responds:

The web admins gonna catch **** for that one.
"Howard" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...6?asin=0823916
839

I'd guess, if the thing has been up for several days, that the site
admin guy or gal put it there because they had caught hell, maybe
gotten fired.

Target is the corporation that won't allow Salvation Army kettles in
front of its doors because other charities might want to do something
similar.

I'll be curious to see their reaction to this, if it becomes public.
Some kind of public explanation is probably needed.

Too bad it wasn't a Friday Door-Buster!

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than
Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Nova

Charlie Self wrote:

Johnny Rotten responds:

The web admins gonna catch **** for that one.
"Howard" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

I'd guess, if the thing has been up for several days, that the site admin guy
or gal put it there because they had caught hell, maybe gotten fired.

It's a record album by Brujeria.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

BobS

If y'all thought that was good.......just type in a search word/phrase in
their Search bar and see what it comes up with.

This site has really been hacked........

"Howard" wrote in message
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

First time I saw this, I figured the site was hacked, and it would be
taken down shortly. But as of today, it's been there 4 days.

--
Howard Lee Harkness
My opinionated book reviews on sales topics
http://book-reviews.hostpci.com

Unisaw A100

Dave Jackson wrote:
I just drove to the store and bought all they had. It makes a great
stocking stuffer, and for the price....

I was on line and from the front window I could see they
were low on stock. Everyone in line agreed that those at
the front of the line should get dibs. Sure enough, some
******* from the back of the line shot up, gathered up two
kilos and was off to the register.

Man! You can sure tell it's Christmas.

UA100
J. Clarke

Howard wrote:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

First time I saw this, I figured the site was hacked, and it would be
taken down shortly. But as of today, it's been there 4 days.

Note what you have at the end of the address above--an ASIN, which is the
industry-standard barcode number. Plug that into Amazon and they come up
with a hit--it is a book entitled "Marijuana", in a library binding, with
Amazon's price about the same as Target's.

Not hacked, nobody's in trouble, they're just selling a book, which, in the
US, is pretty much legal regardless of content unless it's kiddie porn.

--
Howard Lee Harkness
My opinionated book reviews on sales topics
http://book-reviews.hostpci.com

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

philski

Charlie Self wrote:

Johnny Rotten responds:

The web admins gonna catch **** for that one.
"Howard" wrote in message
. ..

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

I'd guess, if the thing has been up for several days, that the site admin guy
or gal put it there because they had caught hell, maybe gotten fired.

Target is the corporation that won't allow Salvation Army kettles in front of
its doors because other charities might want to do something similar.

I'll be curious to see their reaction to this, if it becomes public. Some kind
of public explanation is probably needed.

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Maybe this site will clear things up. The group is Brujeria, the album
name is Marijuana....

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Marijuan...VjA2FydHByb2Q-

Philski
Edwin Pawlowski

Target is the corporation that won't allow Salvation Army kettles in
front of
its doors because other charities might want to do something similar.
I'll be curious to see their reaction to this, if it becomes public. Some
kind
of public explanation is probably needed.

Charlie Self

****ed me off when I first read that, but Target does give millions to
charity. The SA is one of my favorite charites and I can still support them
easily.

http://target.com/target_group/commu...citation.jhtml

A quote from the above web page:
Target notified the Salvation Army of this decision in January 2004, well in
advance of the holiday season, so that the organization would have time to
find alternative fundraising sources. Target also asked the Salvation Army
to look for other ways we could support their organization under our
corporate giving guidelines. At this date, they have not provided a proposal
that fits those guidelines.

Dave Jackson

Anyone know where to find 36" rolling papers? At those prices, I bought so
much I figured I'd just try using the lathe as a large wrapping machine.
Could be a real timesaver as opoosed to individually wrapping it

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Dave Jackson wrote:
I just drove to the store and bought all they had. It makes a great
stocking stuffer, and for the price....

I was on line and from the front window I could see they
were low on stock. Everyone in line agreed that those at
the front of the line should get dibs. Sure enough, some
******* from the back of the line shot up, gathered up two
kilos and was off to the register.

Man! You can sure tell it's Christmas.

UA100

Mike Marlow

Dave Jackson wrote:
I just drove to the store and bought all they had. It makes a great
stocking stuffer, and for the price....

I was on line and from the front window I could see they
were low on stock. Everyone in line agreed that those at
the front of the line should get dibs. Sure enough, some
******* from the back of the line shot up, gathered up two
kilos and was off to the register.

Man! You can sure tell it's Christmas.

Perfect!... you troublemaker.

--

-Mike-

Prometheus

On 28 Nov 2004 22:46:44 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Johnny Rotten responds:

The web admins gonna catch **** for that one.
"Howard" wrote in message
. ..
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

I'd guess, if the thing has been up for several days, that the site admin guy
or gal put it there because they had caught hell, maybe gotten fired.

I doubt that very much- it's just a name, not a drug!

Target is the corporation that won't allow Salvation Army kettles in front of
its doors because other charities might want to do something similar.

I'll be curious to see their reaction to this, if it becomes public. Some kind
of public explanation is probably needed.

The other links indicate that it is some kind of album. I'd sure be
funny if it wasn't, though...

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

mac davis

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:51:11 GMT, Howard wrote:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

First time I saw this, I figured the site was hacked, and it would be
taken down shortly. But as of today, it's been there 4 days.

I can see where you might have searched for the subject matter...
(been there, done that)
but WTF were you doing at the Target site??? rofl
Robert Bonomi

In article . net,
Dave Jackson wrote:
Anyone know where to find 36" rolling papers? At those prices, I bought so
much I figured I'd just try using the lathe as a large wrapping machine.
Could be a real timesaver as opoosed to individually wrapping it

Try CALCOMP, or VERSATEC for industrial-strength (and size) stuff.

36" 'usable' (about 39", including the detachable sprocket-drive edging.

The small package is 100' x 36".

Dave Jackson wrote:
I just drove to the store and bought all they had. It makes a great
stocking stuffer, and for the price....

I was on line and from the front window I could see they
were low on stock. Everyone in line agreed that those at
the front of the line should get dibs. Sure enough, some
******* from the back of the line shot up, gathered up two
kilos and was off to the register.

Man! You can sure tell it's Christmas.

UA100

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Prometheus wrote:
On 28 Nov 2004 22:46:44 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)

Johnny Rotten responds:

"Howard" wrote in message
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=0823916839

I'd guess, if the thing has been up for several days, that the site admin guy
or gal put it there because they had caught hell, maybe gotten fired.

I doubt that very much- it's just a name, not a drug!

Target is the corporation that won't allow Salvation Army kettles in front of
its doors because other charities might want to do something similar.

I'll be curious to see their reaction to this, if it becomes public. Some kind
of public explanation is probably needed.

The other links indicate that it is some kind of album. I'd sure be
funny if it wasn't, though...

From the page:
Estimated Ship Dimensions : 956 hundredths-inches length x 672 hundredths-
inches width x 41 hundredths-inches height

Looks like a CD in one of those 'hard to shoplift' sleeves.

John McCoy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
om:

Target is the corporation that won't allow Salvation Army kettles in
front of
its doors because other charities might want to do something
similar. I'll be curious to see their reaction to this, if it
becomes public. Some kind
of public explanation is probably needed.

Charlie Self

****ed me off when I first read that, but Target does give millions to
charity. The SA is one of my favorite charites and I can still
support them easily.

They have probably been troubled by some other charity (Krishnas,
perhaps), and been advised that the only way to legally block a
troublesome charity is to block all charities from soliciting.

John
Charlie Self

John McCoy responds:

Target is the corporation that won't allow Salvation Army kettles in
front of
its doors because other charities might want to do something
similar. I'll be curious to see their reaction to this, if it
becomes public. Some kind
of public explanation is probably needed.

Charlie Self

****ed me off when I first read that, but Target does give millions to
charity. The SA is one of my favorite charites and I can still
support them easily.

They have probably been troubled by some other charity (Krishnas,
perhaps), and been advised that the only way to legally block a
troublesome charity is to block all charities from soliciting.

I dunno. Walmart generally is easy about solicitation for charity. My Marine
Corps League detachment collects before Christmas to enhance our collection of
toys for Toys for Tots...also enhanced by at least two golf tournaments a year
and some "yard" sales. It makes a lot of difference even in a small town:
weekend before this one just past, the guys collected about $1100 (over $600 of
it in singles).

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken
Brett A. Thomas

John McCoy wrote:
They have probably been troubled by some other charity (Krishnas,
perhaps), and been advised that the only way to legally block a
troublesome charity is to block all charities from soliciting.

I normally try not to feed the OTs, but I'd been meaning to look up the
reasoning behind this for a while, and this thread got me to do it, and
I thought I'd pass it along. Like their reasoning or not, John seems
close. See this story in the Fresno Bee:

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story...10341016c.html

Which quotes Target as saying, among other things, "We receive an
increasing number of solicitation inquiries from nonprofit organizations
each year and determined that if we continue to allow the Salvation Army
to solicit, then it opens the door to other groups that wish to solicit
our guests." So it looks like their official concern is that they can't
say "yes" to the Salvation Army and "no" to those "with petitions and
those seeking to register voters."

The article doesn't explicitly say whether there is a legal concern with
blocking other charities or just a fairness concern. IANAL, but I'd not
generally think there'd be a legal concern with a private entity
(Target) saying "Get off my property," but since there's possibly a
religious angle, and perhaps in some states Target's property might be
considered a "public space" or some such, I'm not extremely confident in
pooh-poohing that suggestion. Nevertheless, unless a lawyer can explain
those issues, I'm going to assume it's bureaucratically applying that
policy evenly that is motivating them, not fear of legal action.

-BAT
Scarfinger

wrote:

Note what you have at the end of the address above--an ASIN, which is the
industry-standard barcode number.

Just to clarify, ASIN is an Amazon Standard Identification Number.
For books, it corresponds to an ISBN which is a standard.
Books have a 13-digit European Article Number (EAN) barcode.
The first 3 digits is a country code. Books always use 978, which
is the pseudo-country "bookland". The remaining 10 digits are the
ISBN (adjusted for a checksum).
Non-book items at Amazon have 10-digit ASINs also, to keep their
Oracle DB straight.

Paul.