Paul O.

Default Jet 12" VS Grizz 14" GO555 Band saw

Guess this should be a no brainer, but, have been looking at the Jet 12" BS
and the salesman tells me that buying the saw, fence, miter gage, and mobile
base I can get a package deal. Don't know what that amounts to but probably
around $500 +/- and I can go there and pick it up.(Western Tool, Redlands,
Ca.) Now the Grizz will cost about the same amt. Don't know which has the
better fence tho. The Grizz has 1/2 HP more. Being able to add a riser block
isn't an option as my tool shed will just accomadate the heighth of the BS
w/o the riser. So as far as I can see my only advantage in the Grizz is the
1/2 HP. For that I have to hassel with getting it delivered by a trucking
co. So still considering as my 1st choice the Jet 12". Also if there is a
problem, where I bought it is close by. Whatcha y'all think? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Paul O." wrote in message
Guess this should be a no brainer, but, have been looking at the Jet 12"
BS

Being able to add a riser block isn't an option as my tool shed will just
accomadate the heighth of the BS w/o the riser.

Will you some day have a bigger shop? The Jet 14" would be a better option
as you can add a riser later if desired. I too, looked at the Jet 12" but
bought hte 14" and don't regret it.

Paul O.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Paul O." wrote in message
Guess this should be a no brainer, but, have been looking at the Jet 12"
BS

Being able to add a riser block isn't an option as my tool shed will
just accomadate the heighth of the BS w/o the riser.

Will you some day have a bigger shop? The Jet 14" would be a better
option as you can add a riser later if desired. I too, looked at the Jet
12" but bought hte 14" and don't regret it.
Well, I guess you never know the future, but having a bigger shop some day
I don't think is going to happen. I live in a Mobile home in a park and
space is limited. As I am 62 now, don't believe I will be moving again.
Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Ace

Go with the Grizzly. Check out all the tool reviews and you'll see that the
Grizzly G0555 has the top rating from Popular WW, Wood Magazine and other
magazines. Plan for the future use too not for the present.
For example, I would much rather drive a BMW than a Yugo.

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Bob G.

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:54:00 GMT, "Ace" wrote:

Go with the Grizzly. Check out all the tool reviews and you'll see that the
Grizzly G0555 has the top rating from Popular WW, Wood Magazine and other
magazines. Plan for the future use too not for the present.
For example, I would much rather drive a BMW than a Yugo.

Not when you can double the "Value" of a Yugo simply by filling the
tank with Gasoline...

Bob Griffiths
No Bimmer... No Yugo... and no use really for either lol

Bill Otten

I've got the Grizzly G0555 and love it. It too will accomodate the riser
block if you ever need it, although it sounds as though you won't. Plenty of
hp in that saw too and set up was a snap. When ordered from Missouri, it
took all of 3 days to arrive in Florida at my door. Pricewise, I couldn't
get the Jet anywhere near the Grizzly even without the fence, miter gauge,
and mobile base on the Jet. I read all the reviews, did the research and
chose the G0555. No regrets, but your mileage might vary.

bill otten

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Norman D. Crow

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
[...]

AFAIAC, it is a no brainer for the Griz. I spent $586 that day, brought home
the G0555, riser kit, Shop Fox mobile base, and 2 or 3 extra blades, as well
as a couple other odd's 'n' ends. PA sales tax(Muncy store) pretty much
offset the shipping, but I got to spend some "drool time" in the store, and
combined the day with a family visit.

Original setup was a snap, although supplied 3/8" blade had a fair amount of
"lead" when I tried it out. The only problem I had was after installing the
riser kit, the blade in the kit was very hard to mount. Emailed Griz tech
support, including my thought that maybe the blade was a hair short, we
worked it through, put on one of the purchased 105" blades and it was fine.
Griz tech support sent me a new 105" blade gratis.

Used it to resaw some Quilted Maple from a stump slab. about 10" deep,
lopping off 13/16" to 1" slabs with a 3/4" 3TPI blade, did wonderful.

I am definitely a Happy Camper.

--
Nahmie

GregP

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:58:17 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

AFAIAC, it is a no brainer for the Griz. I spent $586 that day, brought home
the G0555, riser kit, Shop Fox mobile base, and 2 or 3 extra blades, as well
as a couple other odd's 'n' ends. PA sales tax(Muncy store) pretty much
offset the shipping, but I got to spend some "drool time" in the store, and
combined the day with a family visit.

I've been thinking of buying this saw. I've wondered about the
value of buying the riser kit (and then the longer 3rd party blades
to make use of it) from two perspectives, both probably reflecting
the fact that I've never owned a BS. Does the saw really have the
power to resaw harder woods over 6" ? Wouldn't the narrower
opening, with the guides closer to each other, result in more
stable behavior, with less drift, etc ? Or is that not an issue ?
Thanks !
Paul O.

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

AFAIAC, it is a no brainer for the Griz. I spent $586 that day, brought
home
the G0555, riser kit, Shop Fox mobile base, and 2 or 3 extra blades, as
well
as a couple other odd's 'n' ends. PA sales tax(Muncy store) pretty much
offset the shipping, but I got to spend some "drool time" in the store,
and
combined the day with a family visit.

Nahmie

I really like the Grizz, at least from the pic I see on the website, and
everything comes with it cept the mobile base. I really hadn't wanted to
hassel with a trucking co. for delivery. But I agree, this saw would be the
way to go. How well does the fence on these work? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Alan Bierbaum

I have resawn 11" hard maple with no problem. This is not a production
resaw; however it very hobbest friendly for resaw use. The upper guide is
adjustable. It needs to be set for the thickness being sawn. Get the riser
and 105" blades so that you will not have to tune the saw twice and then
throw away your short blades.

--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
Current project: http://home.comcast.net/~cabierbaum/

wrote:

AFAIAC, it is a no brainer for the Griz.

SNIP

I've been thinking of buying this saw. I've wondered about the
value of buying the riser kit (and then the longer 3rd party blades
to make use of it) from two perspectives, both probably reflecting
the fact that I've never owned a BS. Does the saw really have the
power to resaw harder woods over 6" ? Wouldn't the narrower
opening, with the guides closer to each other, result in more
stable behavior, with less drift, etc ? Or is that not an issue ?
Thanks !

Norman D. Crow

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...

"Norman D. Crow" wrote in message

AFAIAC, it is a no brainer for the Griz. I spent $586 that day, brought
home
the G0555, riser kit, Shop Fox mobile base, and 2 or 3 extra blades, as
well
as a couple other odd's 'n' ends. PA sales tax(Muncy store) pretty much
offset the shipping, but I got to spend some "drool time" in the store,
and
combined the day with a family visit.

Nahmie

I really like the Grizz, at least from the pic I see on the website, and
everything comes with it cept the mobile base. I really hadn't wanted to
hassel with a trucking co. for delivery. But I agree, this saw would be

the
way to go. How well does the fence on these work? Thanks.

The fence on mine was dead on square when it arrived. Really should make a
taller fence for resaw purposes, but the stuff I cut rested square on the
table and went through very nicely.

--
Nahmie

Steven Bliss

I have the Griz. I'm a return customer of theirs. No problems with the
saw. I use the supplied blade for things I don't care too much about (small
aluminum window screen frames, etc) and leave it in there most of the time
for quick cuts. Timberwolf is ready for the good stuff. Funny thing,
though...I looked at the Jet afterwards, and it's amazing how the main body
of the saw looks almost identical to the Griz. The Griz also has bearing
guides, which some feel are actually an upgrade. Jet is too expensive, in
my opinion, for what some will say is a lesser product.
"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
[...]

D. J. Dorn

I have the Griz too and have mixed feelings about it. It has plenty of
power but I was having a horrible time changing blades for some reason
compared to the one I had before. Now, I hang off the top and use spring
clamps to hold them there and then pull it over the bottom, tighten and then
track which seems to work much better. I know you are not supposed to
really use 3/4 blades on a 14" saw but mine seems to like it and runs it
perfectly.

The mixed feeling came from the ball bearing guides that came with it.
Trying to adjust the bottom ones (they are eccentric) was a real PITA and I
didn't like them in general. Called Griz and got the parts that holds
blocks and like the saw much better now. I'm still considering upgrading
to the 0513 because I resaw allot but I'm also thinking of just going with
the riser kit since power hasn't been a problem.

Don

"Steven Bliss" wrote in message
I have the Griz. I'm a return customer of theirs. No problems with the
saw. I use the supplied blade for things I don't care too much about
(small aluminum window screen frames, etc) and leave it in there most of
the time for quick cuts. Timberwolf is ready for the good stuff. Funny
thing, though...I looked at the Jet afterwards, and it's amazing how the
main body of the saw looks almost identical to the Griz. The Griz also has
bearing guides, which some feel are actually an upgrade. Jet is too
expensive, in my opinion, for what some will say is a lesser product.
"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
[...]

brian lanning

"Paul O." wrote in message .com...
Being able to add a riser block
isn't an option as my tool shed will just accomadate the heighth of the BS
w/o the riser.

You could put the riser on it and make a new base that's 6" shorter.

brian
Lee Michaels

"brian lanning" wrote in message
om...
"Paul O." wrote in message

.com...
Being able to add a riser block
isn't an option as my tool shed will just accomadate the heighth of the

BS
w/o the riser.

You could put the riser on it and make a new base that's 6" shorter.

Only problem with that solution os that you would be bandsawing six inches
lower. I know some folks who put their tools on stands because they are tall
and find the conventional heights too low for comfort.

If you were short, no problem. Otherwise....

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 17:24:30 GMT, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"brian lanning" wrote in message
. com...
"Paul O." wrote in message

y.com...
Being able to add a riser block
isn't an option as my tool shed will just accomadate the heighth of the

BS
w/o the riser.

You could put the riser on it and make a new base that's 6" shorter.

Only problem with that solution os that you would be bandsawing six inches
lower. I know some folks who put their tools on stands because they are tall
and find the conventional heights too low for comfort.

If you were short, no problem. Otherwise....

resaw bandsaws generally have lower tables anyway. not really a
problem....
Rob

Just one more data point of G0555 owners. I just received and put
together my G0555 last night and I am very happy so far. Everything
went together well and the saw came in flawless condition. Tonight I
pop on the riser block. I was a little leery of trucking company
damage, but none to be found. I also bought the G0500 8" jointer this
summer and that also was packed very well and had zero damage to it.
Works great and tons of power. Friend o' mine got the 1182Z contractor
saw this summer as well and also in perfect condition and he loves it.
For some tools, Grizz is definitely the best bang for the buck.