slindars

Default Wallace 10" Joiner, worth buying?

I was responding to a add in the paper about some tools for sale and
in the course of talking with the guy he says he is selling a 10"
Wallace Jointer for $150 OBO. I have not seen the tool yet, so I
cannot comment on the condition, year, or give any details. None the
less, does anyone have any inital options? Is this something worth
looking into. I've been planning on saving up for a new or used 6"
jointer (Jet, Grizzly, yorkcraft, etc).
Thanks
Unisaw A100

slindars wrote:
I was responding to a add in the paper about some tools for sale and
in the course of talking with the guy he says he is selling a 10"
Wallace Jointer for $150 OBO. I have not seen the tool yet, so I
cannot comment on the condition, year, or give any details.

What I know first hand of 8" Wallace jointers isn't much.
What I know of Wallace machines is a little more. In a nut
shell, they made good machines. The jointers have short
beds (given their width) but are well built machines. The
GE motors are direct drive. Wait here, I'll see if I can
scare up a picture.

Here we go, a real spanky looking one.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1153

And one not quite so spanky.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1057

Here's one with some after market extensions.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=819

This one doesn't show too well.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=788

And we'll end off with one as spanky as the first.

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=271

None the less, does anyone have any inital options?

My opinion is to contact some of the gentlemen above and ask
their opinions. I have a funny feeling they all kinda like
their machines.

Is this something worth looking into.

Most definitely. By the way, this isn't a question I'd be
waiting around for a second opinion on, i.e., you snooze,
you lose/early bird and all.

I've been planning on saving up for a new or used 6"
jointer (Jet, Grizzly, yorkcraft, etc).

If the machine is usable you'll save yourself a considerable
amount of money. I'd be willing to bet you'd probably own
it long past the time when you can afford to *upgrade*.

UA100
Junior Member

I found a link on the Old Woodworking Machine web site. The owner also bought a used one and was "pleasantly suprised by what a workhorse this jointer turned out to be..".

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=788

I do suggest learning how to evaluate used jointers before buying one. It seems tables that are not "co planer" (not in the same plane) are useless. You should be able to test this easily using winding sticks.

Good luck!

Doug
Junior Member

I forgot to add... $150 for a used jointer of that size is a STEAL if it functional.
slindars

Well those pictures are really inspiring. I had not planned on doing
any sort of restore job but it does look fun. I'll post my findings
after I check it out.

Unisaw A100 wrote in message . ..
slindars wrote:
[...]

Unisaw A100

slindars wrote:
Well those pictures are really inspiring.

Inspiring? We call it porn. I suppose inspiring would be a
better word 'roung the wimmen and children.

I had not planned on doing any sort of restore job but it does look fun.

A little machine like that Wallace will be cleaned up in no
time. Paint? Add a day or three.

I'll post my findings after I check it out.

Please do. Take pictures. We all like pictures.

Oh, and don't worry about the tables not being coplanar.
That can be fixed.

UA100
Unisaw A100

WoodWorkerDoug wrote:
I do suggest learning how to evaluate used jointers before buying one.
It seems tables that are not "co planer" (not in the same plane) are
useless.

It might be useless to someone who didn't know why Al Gore
invented brass shims.

You should be able to test this easily using winding sticks.

Oh! I totally missed the subtlety of this. You use this as
a ruse for getting the seller to go down on price. OK, I
understand now.

UA100
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:25:31 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

It seems tables that are not "co planer" (not in the same plane) are
useless.

It might be useless to someone who didn't know why Al Gore
invented brass shims.

Depends which way they're not co-planar. Drooping tables aren't
uncommon and are easily fixed. You shouldn't even need a shim - a good
planer will have screw adjustable gib strips and that should be
enough.

A twisted alignment though (and this is what winding strips will tell
you) is another question. This just shouldn't happen. Unless a gib has
worked rattling-loose (vibration on the screws ?) it can't get to
this state without something serious having happened, like someone
driving a fork-lift into it.

--
Smert' spamionam
mac davis

wrote:

WoodWorkerDoug wrote:
I do suggest learning how to evaluate used jointers before buying one.
It seems tables that are not "co planer" (not in the same plane) are
useless.

It might be useless to someone who didn't know why Al Gore
invented brass shims.

was that before or after he invented the internet?

Unisaw A100

was that before or after he invented the internet?

It was shortly after he invented brass.

UA100
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:28:31 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

It was shortly after he invented brass.

Al Gore didn't invent brass. For most practical purposes it was
invented by a chap named Champion, who was one of my neighbours (a
couple of centuries ago).

I've now got about 6 boxfiles of research notes on the history of
brass. I started looking into it for book research, then it turns out
I live nearby three world-class historical sites for the development
of its manufacture in the 16th, 18th and 20th centuries. I even drink
in a pub (The Black Castle, Brislington) built as a fake castle out of
black clinker blocks made out of zinc smelter slag from a brassworks.

Brass ? Don't talk to me about fecking brass.... I'm up to my ears in
the damn stuff.