Camoman

Default repair to press wood finish

I am wondering if there is anything I can do to repair scratches in the
finish on press wood. It is a plastic/paper finish. Like the kinds of
furniture that you buy in Walmart or other stores like that. I have tried
repair the scratches with a stain. That did not go well. Does anyone have
any ideas? TIA

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:27:49 -0500, "Camoman"
wrote:

I am wondering if there is anything I can do to repair scratches in the
finish on press wood. It is a plastic/paper finish.

Best thing is a coloured hard wax stick, like sealing wax, in a
matching colour. Better toolshops might have them. You warm this, use
it to fill the gap like a wax crayon, then let it go properly cold and
scrape it smooth with a scraper (a shard of broken glass will do).

Normally I don't like these, because they're too soft. The similar
coloured shellac sticks have to be used rather hotter but are much
better and more wear resistant on wood. I'd be concerned at their
adhesion on this sort of melamine and paper finish though - you have
to scrape harder to smooth them, and they might pull clean off.

Depending on the colour, you may also find that simply wiping with a
gel poly varnish is enough to hide a scratch on a light coloured
finish.

As always, experiment somewhere unseen before going for the obvious
repair.

--
Smert' spamionam

wrote:

I am wondering if there is anything I can do to repair scratches in the
finish on press wood. It is a plastic/paper finish. Like the kinds of
furniture that you buy in Walmart or other stores like that. I have tried
repair the scratches with a stain. That did not go well. Does anyone have
any ideas? TIA

paint the whole piece.
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:27:49 -0500, "Camoman"
calmly ranted:

I am wondering if there is anything I can do to repair scratches in the
finish on press wood. It is a plastic/paper finish. Like the kinds of
furniture that you buy in Walmart or other stores like that. I have tried
repair the scratches with a stain. That did not go well. Does anyone have
any ideas? TIA

Sand smooth with 220 grit.
Clean with Murphy's Oil Soap. Let dry.
Go to Wally World, pick up some more oogly shelf paper.
"Refinish" the top.
Done.

Alt: Sand smooth, paint to suit.

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --