DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   WORLD'S EASIEST TABLE (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/77297-worlds-easiest-table.html)

J T November 16th 04 12:46 AM

WORLD'S EASIEST TABLE

http://www.anythingicando.com/season...30/proj_30.htm

JOAT
Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification.
- Publilius Syrus

WoodMangler November 16th 04 01:45 AM

J T did say:

http://www.anythingicando.com/season...30/proj_30.htm

JOAT
Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification.
- Publilius Syrus

If she moves quickly, that thing's coming down!

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Mike Girouard November 16th 04 09:46 AM

WoodMangler wrote in message ...
J T did say:

http://www.anythingicando.com/season...30/proj_30.htm

JOAT
Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification.
- Publilius Syrus

If she moves quickly, that thing's coming down!

It isn't THAT easy anyway. Butt joints would have been easier than mitred.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

FoggyTown

Old Nick November 16th 04 10:34 AM

On 16 Nov 2004 01:46:13 -0800, (Mike Girouard)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I must have missed something.

mitred.

Dogs are better than people.

People are better than dogs for only one purpose. And
then it's only half of ofthe people. And _then_ most
of them are only ordinary anyway. And then they have a
headache.........

igor November 16th 04 03:02 PM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:46:33 -0500, (J T) wrote:

http://www.anythingicando.com/season...30/proj_30.htm

Under one photo it says, "Choose screws that are long enough to have at
least half their length in each pieces". That's a puzzler.

Michael Stephenson November 16th 04 09:26 PM

igor wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:46:33 -0500, (J T) wrote:

http://www.anythingicando.com/season...30/proj_30.htm

Under one photo it says, "Choose screws that are long enough to have at
least half their length in each pieces". That's a puzzler.

By my count the project takes about 34 board ft of cedar. To make the
$50 price estimate they would have to get the wood fairly cheaply,
something like $1.47 a board foot. I think cedar goes for more like
$3.80 a board foot which would put the project at $129 before hardware
and finishing supplies. A simple table like this can be had from Ikea
for $79. It is certainly more fun when you build it yourself but I
think the cost estimates on these projects should be a little bit more
realistic.

Dave November 17th 04 04:01 AM

Have you ever watched her show on PBS? It is Saturday morning for me. My
favorite is when she screwed a board to the workbench (twice in the same
episode).

:)

We watch it just for the laugh.

Frank Ketchum November 17th 04 03:27 PM

"J T" wrote in message
http://www.anythingicando.com/season...30/proj_30.htm

Yeah, that looks easy alright. So does the table.

Frank

igor November 17th 04 03:39 PM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 04:01:10 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Have you ever watched her show on PBS? It is Saturday morning for me. My
favorite is when she screwed a board to the workbench (twice in the same
episode).

:)

We watch it just for the laugh.

Hmmm. Never heard of her. I'll have to take a look.

Prometheus November 23rd 04 02:50 AM

(J T) wrote:

http://www.anythingicando.com/season...30/proj_30.htm

Under one photo it says, "Choose screws that are long enough to have at
least half their length in each pieces". That's a puzzler.

By my count the project takes about 34 board ft of cedar. To make the
$50 price estimate they would have to get the wood fairly cheaply,
something like $1.47 a board foot. I think cedar goes for more like
$3.80 a board foot which would put the project at $129 before hardware
and finishing supplies. A simple table like this can be had from Ikea
for $79. It is certainly more fun when you build it yourself but I
think the cost estimates on these projects should be a little bit more
realistic.

Western Red cedar goes for $3 a bf here for select and better, $2,25
for #1 common- both still well above the estimate above.

Not to mention their ideas about what the "world's simplest table"
might be. I'd think a piece of plywood on a milk crate would be quite
a lot simpler, myself.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam