Ah10201

Default the router workshop show any good?

am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?
Tom

Ah10201 wrote:

am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

A lot of good techniques(safety included), jigs and the Dad is allright. I
think the kid teases him some at assembly time over some of his off-screen
mix-ups. Tom
Work at your leisure!
Leon

"Ah10201" wrote in message
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

After about 5 shows, you realize that you already know how to change bits in
your router so seeing them change bits 6 or 7 times during a show gets old
fast. Also watching them route each and every piece that is exactly the
same gets real old fast also. They remind me of watching a single person on
an assemble line doing the same routine over and over and over and over.
They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking that
will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and
over and over and .........

Rob V

Whats up w/ the thing on the top of the dads head?
Looks like they plug him in there or something!

"Ah10201" wrote in message
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

George

Oddly, when a Norm thread gets started, one of the constant criticisms is
that he doesn't spend airtime showing mistakes and setups, but makes it
appear the first do not happen and the second appear as if by magic.

The show is good, basic technique, interspersed with forehead-smacking
"damn, why didn't I ever think of that" moments. I can imagine the makers
of knickknacks at craft shows taping every episode.

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"Ah10201" wrote in message
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

After about 5 shows, you realize that you already know how to change bits

in
your router so seeing them change bits 6 or 7 times during a show gets old
fast. Also watching them route each and every piece that is exactly the
same gets real old fast also. They remind me of watching a single person

on
an assemble line doing the same routine over and over and over and over.
They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking

that
will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and
over and over and .........

patrick conroy

"Ah10201" wrote in message

am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

I've seen two. Not my cup of tea...

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking

that
will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and
over and over and .........

You just hit the reason I quit watching it a couple years back. I didn't
even know it was still on.

BTW, I noticed that DJM's Wood Works has three different shows today (Sat-
Time-Warner DIY 211). How long has that been going on? I've set the DVR to
hopefully catch two of them (10 - 11 AM) while I run up the country this
morning.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Steven and Gail Peterson

They have a repetition problem, but my complaint is they seem to think that
the router is all you need. Where did those jigs come from? How about the
templates? The jigs and templates are often the interesting part of the
project. One you have them, using them is a snap.

Steve

"George" george@least wrote in message
Oddly, when a Norm thread gets started, one of the constant criticisms is
that he doesn't spend airtime showing mistakes and setups, but makes it
appear the first do not happen and the second appear as if by magic.

The show is good, basic technique, interspersed with forehead-smacking
"damn, why didn't I ever think of that" moments. I can imagine the
makers
of knickknacks at craft shows taping every episode.

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"Ah10201" wrote in message
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

After about 5 shows, you realize that you already know how to change bits

in
your router so seeing them change bits 6 or 7 times during a show gets
old
fast. Also watching them route each and every piece that is exactly the
same gets real old fast also. They remind me of watching a single person

on
an assemble line doing the same routine over and over and over and over.
They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking

that
will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and
over and over and .........

Rob

If I had that growth on the top of my head it would worry me. I would have
long had it taken care of.

"patrick conroy" wrote in message

"Ah10201" wrote in message

am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

I've seen two. Not my cup of tea...

WoodMangler

Leon did say:

After about 5 shows, you realize that you already know how to change bits in
your router so seeing them change bits 6 or 7 times during a show gets old
fast. Also watching them route each and every piece that is exactly the
same gets real old fast also. They remind me of watching a single person on
an assemble line doing the same routine over and over and over and over.
They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking that
will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and
over and over and .........

For a beginner watching, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

toller

"Ah10201" wrote in message
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

When is it on?

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Leon" wrote in message

They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking

that
will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and
over and over and .........

You just hit the reason I quit watching it a couple years back. I didn't
even know it was still on.

BTW, I noticed that DJM's Wood Works has three different shows today (Sat-
Time-Warner DIY 211). How long has that been going on? I've set the DVR to
hopefully catch two of them (10 - 11 AM) while I run up the country this
morning.

I use the DVR also. I think 2 or 3 news shows started about 2 or 3 weeks
ago. He is doing different kinda stuff. A tall magazine stand, an out door
red wood gate with a copper center, and a simple bowl on his lathe. I have
not had a chance to see what was going on today.

Leon

"Rob V" wrote in message
Whats up w/ the thing on the top of the dads head?
Looks like they plug him in there or something!

Um that is a veriable speed controll. ;~)

"Ah10201" wrote in message
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:18:10 -0500, SawDust wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 14:55:37 GMT, "Rob" wrote:

If I had that growth on the top of my head it would worry me. I would have
long had it taken care of.

.... snip

That's the pressure relief valve. If I had a boy like that I'd need
one too.

Yeah, I'm sure it's just the television atmosphere, but he doesn't seem
to be the sharpest bit in the drawer, does he?

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:55:55 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Ah10201" wrote in message
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

After about 5 shows, you realize that you already know how to change bits in
your router so seeing them change bits 6 or 7 times during a show gets old
fast. Also watching them route each and every piece that is exactly the
same gets real old fast also. They remind me of watching a single person on
an assemble line doing the same routine over and over and over and over.
They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking that
will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and
over and over and .........

The somber ceremony of removing watches and rings before every show,
ceremoniously storing them in a wooden box got kind of old. I much
preferred Norms, "... and remember there is no more important safety rule
than to wear these, your safety glasses" At least the disclaimer doesn't
take as long as the "watch in the box" ceremony.

Leon

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

The somber ceremony of removing watches and rings before every show,
ceremoniously storing them in a wooden box got kind of old. I much
preferred Norms, "... and remember there is no more important safety rule
than to wear these, your safety glasses" At least the disclaimer doesn't
take as long as the "watch in the box" ceremony.

Euww.... I do not think I ever witnessed the watch in the box ceremony..

WilliaJ2

am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

Rather than the same cuts over & over, it would be more interesting (IMHO) to
see how the jigs were made.

Big John

Take out the TRASH for E-mail.
Owen Lawrence

am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

The one thing I really didn't like about the show was that they went too
fast. I don't mean that they rushed any one step, but they strung them
together end to end so I was left breathless. Maybe they have the kind of
experience they need to work like machines, but I need to stop and think
before doing the next step, and I like to savour the step I just completed.
My feeling was, "I'm only watching TV. What's the rush?"

I also echo someone else's remark that they do everything with the router,
when there are other tools that would work just fine (or better). The
router is such a great tool you don't need to do a sales job on it to
convince me to use it.

I stopped watching the show after we got cable. Weird. Our cable company
doesn't carry that station, but I could pull it through the antenna just
fine. I'd probably still watch it if I could, but only sporadically.

- Owen -

SawDust

Hi Owen,

Some magazine's carry their advertisement to sell their router table,
jigs, collars etc. Early on their shows were good for technique,
but after a while it seemed like you needed to own every collar,
bushing, jig etc to do any of their projects. I haven't seen their
show in a while. Maybe it's changed.

Regardless, I agree there are better tools available for certain
aspects of their projects. Router's are not saws and vice versa.

Pat

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 20:21:18 -0500, "Owen Lawrence"
wrote:

[...]

Robert Galloway

I envy you sobs. To get DJM I have to subscribe to a whole mess of HDTV
package that I don't want. The few episodes of his show I caught on
HGTV looked great. I was looking forward to seeing some more but in the
Minneapolis market, I guess it was just a come on to get you into the
bigger package if you were interested.

bob g.

Swingman wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message

They need to explain what they are doing and why more so than thinking

that

will keep your interest by watching them doing repetitive tasks over and
over and over and .........

You just hit the reason I quit watching it a couple years back. I didn't
even know it was still on.

BTW, I noticed that DJM's Wood Works has three different shows today (Sat-
Time-Warner DIY 211). How long has that been going on? I've set the DVR to
hopefully catch two of them (10 - 11 AM) while I run up the country this
morning.

patriarch

Robert Galloway wrote in
news
I envy you sobs. To get DJM I have to subscribe to a whole mess of
HDTV package that I don't want. The few episodes of his show I caught
on HGTV looked great. I was looking forward to seeing some more but
in the Minneapolis market, I guess it was just a come on to get you
into the bigger package if you were interested.

Bob, you need to look at whether a satellite would meet your needs. We
bought DirecTV w/TiVo to get some special programming we wanted, and found
a whole bunch of other channels we really enjoy. For a lower cost than
expanded basic cable.

The cable company wanted a Digital tier, with extra packages, to get some
of the same channels, but not the one we really wanted...

And a DVR really frees up your viewing patterns, particularly if you are
trying to catch some old Norm reruns, which show at 6:00 am or some
unwatchable hour...

Patriarch
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rob" wrote in message
If I had that growth on the top of my head it would worry me. I would have
long had it taken care of.

Then you must know for sure what it is and that it can be removed. Details
please?

Dan

"Ah10201" wrote in message
am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

Yes, I watch it. Contrary to what everyone else is saying about it,
I like the show. I find it pretty informative. Sure there are
repitions of cuts and all, but they usually explain what bit they are
using, and why they do it a certain way. They are not pushing the
use of the latest and greatest, can't live without it, full featured
tool. They are not pushing their video and measured drawring for 25
bux a pop on how to build a sawhorse, etc.

Sure, there are other tools that will work better than the router for
different operations, but I think that what the Rosenthalls are
trying to show is that several things can be done with just a router.
I think what they are trying to show is that to folks having a normal
budget, not an unlimited one such as Norm seems to have, a router
might be a very utilitarian tool to have. It can do the job of
several high priced tools, so don't think that you can't make good
looking projects just because you don't own the latest gizmo that is
on the market.

There have been shows in the recent past that actually show a chop
saw and even a table saw in their workshop. Yes, I would like to see
how they make some of their jigs and patterns, but to me, that is a
minor thing. I just enjoy watching them. They sure are easier to
watch than 'Handyma'am' and 'Bruce Johnson', or Jay what's his name
in Ultimate workshop.

I guess it is "To each, his own" when it comes to woodworking shows.
They must all be good to different audiences. I watch Norm, David,
the Rosenthalls, Roy and used to watch Scott Philips and John
Shiloats, both who are not available here in my area anymore. I get
useful info from all of them.

Make more sawdust, watch the shows you like and don't watch the ones
you don't like.

WoodworkerDan
Dan Harriman
Orange, Texas

Tom Young

I've watched it. Lot's of good advice but the projects they build IMHO are
mostly ugly. I have one word for the dad....CAP. That thing is distracting.
You catch yourself watching it instead of the project.

Tom
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
om...
(Ah10201) wrote in message

am I the only one that watches the router workshop on PBS?
any comments on whether you guys like it?

I haven't seen the show in a long time. Does the father still
have that knobbly thing on the top of his head?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...0nnrp3.sbc.net

--

FF

---