DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Americans should buy Lee Valley tools and sell back to Canadians on Ebay. (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/76280-re-americans-should-buy-lee-valley-tools-sell-back-canadians-ebay.html)

mp November 11th 04 08:47 PM

Americans should buy Lee Valley tools and sell back to Canadians on Ebay.

A plane that costs Canadians approx $350 (taxes in) delivered from Lee
Valley
costs Americans well over a hundred bucks CANADIAN less.
There could be a nice profit to be made.

Nice try. If you consider shipping to the US, shipping back to Canada, PST
and GST, clearance charges, and the credit card exchange rate, the plane
will end up costing more, not less.

gw November 11th 04 09:03 PM

"mp" wrote in message ...
A plane that costs Canadians approx $350 (taxes in) delivered from Lee
Valley
costs Americans well over a hundred bucks CANADIAN less.
There could be a nice profit to be made.

Nice try. If you consider shipping to the US, shipping back to Canada, PST
and GST, clearance charges, and the credit card exchange rate, the plane
will end up costing more, not less.

Robert could set up a PO box in the US, then come down once in a while and
smuggle a few planes back over the border crammed into a body cavity.

Caveat Emptor

Daniel H November 11th 04 09:06 PM

gw wrote:
"mp" wrote in message ...

A plane that costs Canadians approx $350 (taxes in) delivered from Lee
Valley
costs Americans well over a hundred bucks CANADIAN less.
There could be a nice profit to be made.

Nice try. If you consider shipping to the US, shipping back to Canada, PST
and GST, clearance charges, and the credit card exchange rate, the plane
will end up costing more, not less.

Robert could set up a PO box in the US, then come down once in a while and
smuggle a few planes back over the border crammed into a body cavity.

Remember to back-off the blade a bit. Those blades come from the
factory quite sharp.

Upscale November 11th 04 09:28 PM

"gw" wrote in message

Robert could set up a PO box in the US, then come down once in a while and
smuggle a few planes back over the border crammed into a body cavity.

I think you're too late. He sounds like he already has something stuck in a
body cavity.

[email protected] November 11th 04 09:39 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:03:41 -0500, "gw" wrote:

"mp" wrote in message ...
A plane that costs Canadians approx $350 (taxes in) delivered from Lee
Valley
costs Americans well over a hundred bucks CANADIAN less.
There could be a nice profit to be made.

Nice try. If you consider shipping to the US, shipping back to Canada, PST
and GST, clearance charges, and the credit card exchange rate, the plane
will end up costing more, not less.

Robert could set up a PO box in the US, then come down once in a while and
smuggle a few planes back over the border crammed into a body cavity.

Caveat Emptor

"are you happy to see me or is that a LV low angle smoother in your
pocket...."

patrick conroy November 11th 04 10:01 PM

"Robert" wrote in message
A plane that costs Canadians approx $350 (taxes in) delivered from Lee

Valley
costs Americans well over a hundred bucks CANADIAN less.

You can buy a plane for $350?
Doncha' have an FAA-type-of-thing up there?

PS: Thanks for the cheep Vioxx.

mp November 11th 04 10:57 PM

Nice try. If you consider shipping to the US, shipping back to Canada, PST
and GST, clearance charges, and the credit card exchange rate, the plane
will end up costing more, not less.

Perhaps you should remove your head from your ass and do the actual math
instead
of making **** up.

Perhaps you can hold off on the juvenille insults for a bit and post your
own math to back up your own claims. That way we can point out and correct
your errors.

TeamCasa November 11th 04 11:24 PM

And you think will help???

I can see Robin now: Oh my God! Robert is ****ed at us! We have to recall
all of our catalogs, reprint everything! Appologize and give him 50% off on
the $35 CDN He was going to spend with us at Christmas! You heard me team!
Get going!

Ya Right!

"Robert" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:23:06 -0800, "TeamCasa"
wrote:

On for goodness sake Robert - get a life.

I have a life, but a limited Christmas budget. I'm just trying to get Lee
Valley
to stop screwing over it's Canadian customers in time for my Christmas
shopping.g
With the CDN dollar at almost 84 cents US it's Lee Valley's Canadian
customers
who have to be on crack to shop there.

Dave

. ..

Unisaw A100 November 11th 04 11:31 PM

johnson21710 November 11th 04 11:46 PM

You know you're right. I have the same plan in mind. You see the bottles
we have to pay a 5 cent deposit on here can be returned in Michigan for 10
cents. Now if Newman can get use of the fifth mail truck, we're in
business.

Leon November 11th 04 11:47 PM

"Robert" wrote in message

A plane that costs Canadians approx $350 (taxes in) delivered from Lee
Valley
costs Americans well over a hundred bucks CANADIAN less.
There could be a nice profit to be made.

So uh, what is stopping you? You apparently could easily arrange to have
the product shipped to the US and sent back to you and then you could sell
it to your fellow Canadians.

Leon November 12th 04 12:20 AM

"Robert" wrote in message

Leon, you must be a Republican. Only they are this stupid.:)

Robert, you must be a Democrat. Only they will whine about something and
not do anything about it. ;~)

AAvK November 12th 04 02:10 AM

Robert you gotta understand something here... almost every U.S. galoot
in this NG absolutely worships Lee Valley and it's Veritas products, see?
Hence your many negative responses. I am economical and poor because
of my health conditions, I have mentioned it before but no one gives a
genuine rat's ass... so I get around paying and supporting the giants any
way I can. Although I would love to have a Veritas low angle block plane.

But personaly I can see your understanding in that most if not all Veritas
products are made in Canada, and if sold to Canadian peoples at 30%
higher, it would **** you red maple leafs right off.

The grass is green and the sky is blue, whaddya do?

One thing to remember about shopping in the U.S.A. and you try to hide it
in your vehicle, the border patrol take and record the weight of your vehicle.
Anything you bring back across the border will add weight down to the ounce.

Sorry if this didn't help,
Alex

Frank Ketchum November 12th 04 02:33 AM

"AAvK" wrote in message

One thing to remember about shopping in the U.S.A. and you try to hide it
in your vehicle, the border patrol take and record the weight of your
vehicle.
Anything you bring back across the border will add weight down to the
ounce.

That's a neat trick. I wonder how they account for the coffee and donuts
you had for breakfast which adds weight not to mention how much difference
in weight there is between a full tank of gas and an empty one. Please to
explain?

Frank

Leon November 12th 04 02:41 AM

"AAvK" wrote in message

Anything you bring back across the border will add weight down to the
ounce.

Your kidding right? I suspect if you fill up with gas or drive around and
burn gas before crossing back or bring another person or two or bla bla bla
is going to create a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong line of cars to
be inspected.
Tell'em you bought groceries.

AAvK November 12th 04 03:05 AM

That's a neat trick. I wonder how they account for the coffee and donuts
you had for breakfast which adds weight not to mention how much difference
in weight there is between a full tank of gas and an empty one. Please to
explain?
Frank

They take that into account. They know the weight of gas and record how full
the tank is. "They" know how to figure it all in. Same at the Mexican border
but no doubt all the more thoroughly done. Probably a bit more casual up
north.

Alex

Lobby Dosser November 12th 04 03:18 AM

"Leon" wrote:

"AAvK" wrote in message

Anything you bring back across the border will add weight down to the
ounce.

Your kidding right? I suspect if you fill up with gas or drive around
and burn gas before crossing back or bring another person or two or
bla bla bla is going to create a
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong line of cars to be inspected.
Tell'em you bought groceries.

So I stop at the US side at Blaine, WA coming back from Vancouver driving
a semi-beat-up 74 Plymouth. Guy with the appearance of a gas jocky at
Chevron (not at all like the neatly uniformed Canadian border types)
wants to know what I bought while I was gone for 3 days. "Nothing I
didn't consume, everything I saw I could buy cheaper at home" says I.
Forty five (45) minutes later they're still searching for something - one
marijuana seed - anything!

Now I should have known better having once witnessed the complete ripping
apart of a couple suitcases by English customs on a return from France.
Guy told me he had all kinds of crap he was bringing in. I told him my
old man always told me to declare *something*. He ignored my advice,
declared nothing and probably spent a couple years in one of Her
Majesty's Hotels.

AAvK November 12th 04 03:29 AM

Robert's not a "fellow" Canadian, he's an idiot and an embarrassment to the
country.

And you are fascist, love Hitler and his wet dreams, and belong in another country. Correct?

Alex

igor November 12th 04 03:47 AM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:36:58 GMT, Robert
wrote:

A plane that costs Canadians approx $350 (taxes in) delivered from Lee Valley
costs Americans well over a hundred bucks CANADIAN less.
There could be a nice profit to be made.

OK, so the fact is that one can get an LV product cheaper in real terms w/
US dollars versus C dollars, at the moment. But, it seems that LV is the
one really taking it in the shorts -- assuming it is doing its accounting
in C$ and didn't hedge its currency risk -- because LV is being paid in
weakened US$. Then again, to the extent that it is paying for things in US
dollars that hit is being offset. But salaries are in C$, I presume.

Now, I'm not taking up a collection for any seller. After all, they could
(and maybe have) hedged. But I do see that it is tough when the business
model depends on a printed catalog 1 year out (or more). FWIW. -- Igor

Leon November 12th 04 04:03 AM

"Robert" wrote in message
Snip
I know that.
What's more Rob Lee seems to get off on it.
He appears to love his Yankee groupies and not give a rats ass about the
country
that gave his company it's start.
He basically said we Canadians pay more to subsidize Lee Valley's American
customers.

Well if it makes you feel better, we Yanks have to go to Canada to buy our
American made drugs at a reasonable price.

AAvK November 12th 04 05:21 AM

Uh huh.

....and then while you're outside your carry-all they'll weigh YOU and take that into
account too! ...make your gringo ass illegal! Oh yes oh yes!

Alex

Lobby Dosser November 12th 04 05:33 AM

"AAvK" wrote:

Uh huh.

...and then while you're outside your carry-all they'll weigh YOU and
take that into account too! ...make your gringo ass illegal!
Oh yes oh yes!

Alex

You might want to mike your tinfoil, looks like you need a double
layer.

John DeBoo November 12th 04 05:45 AM

Robert wrote:

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:47:43 GMT, "Leon" wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message
. ..

A plane that costs Canadians approx $350 (taxes in) delivered from Lee
Valley
costs Americans well over a hundred bucks CANADIAN less.
There could be a nice profit to be made.

So uh, what is stopping you? You apparently could easily arrange to have
the product shipped to the US and sent back to you and then you could sell
it to your fellow Canadians.

Leon, you must be a Republican. Only they are this stupid.:)

What an asshoile - must be a seperatist french canadian! Are you
ignorant or apathetic, and don't say "I don't know and I don't care."

Rob Stokes November 12th 04 07:38 AM

Implying I do?

Wipe that stupid g off your face and give it up Robert... If you don't
like the way LV does business, don't do business with them. It's really that
simple. LV's management doesn't have to answer to you or anybody. It's their
company, it's a private company and they can do with it what they see fit.
You seem to think they owe you some sort of preferential treatment because
they're a Canadian company....sounds like the exact attitude of entitlement
that epitomizes too many things in this great nation. I get truly sick when
I think of all my hard earned tax dollars going to support the likes of you
and makes me wonder if the seeing the results of the "survival of the
fittest" pendulum having swung too far.

As I said before, you're an idiot and an embarrassment to all Canadians who
cover your ass.

--

Rob

"Robert" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:20:39 GMT, "Rob Stokes" wrote:

Robert's not a "fellow" Canadian, he's an idiot and an embarrassment to

the
country.

Well at least I don't drop my pants and bend over every time Rob Lee drops

by
the newsgroup.g

Charlie Self November 12th 04 09:08 AM

AAvK writes:

One thing to remember about shopping in the U.S.A. and you try to hide it
in your vehicle, the border patrol take and record the weight of your
vehicle.
Anything you bring back across the border will add weight down to the ounce.

Nonsense. It wouldn't work. The gas I bought in BC would certainly add weight
coming back to the US, as will the quart of oil I added. The mud I picked up
will do so, too. Conversely, the mud I wash off in Georgeville, PQ won't come
back through Derby Line with me, so the vehicle is lighter, and I didn't need
to buy gas, because the place I was going was only 15 miles over the border
from Vermont.

Who fed you that one?

Charlie Self
"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of
common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever
ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken

Charlie Self November 12th 04 09:10 AM

AAvK writes:

That's a neat trick. I wonder how they account for the coffee and donuts
you had for breakfast which adds weight not to mention how much difference
in weight there is between a full tank of gas and an empty one. Please to
explain?
Frank

They take that into account. They know the weight of gas and record how full
the tank is. "They" know how to figure it all in. Same at the Mexican border
but no doubt all the more thoroughly done. Probably a bit more casual up
north.

It may be so at the Mexican border, but it ain't so at the Canadian border. How
the hell can "they" record how full the tank is when your damned gas gauge
can't, within a gallon or two?

AAvK November 12th 04 10:29 AM

Who fed you that one?

A TV documentary about the mexican border and drugs.

Alex

George November 12th 04 11:57 AM

After paying a visit to Havana and Leningrad, I stepped up to US customs at
JFK, and declared my Soviet booze. The official noted the Czech embassy
(Cuban) stamp and asked if I had brought back anything from Cuba.

"Uh, why?"

"Embargo. Nothing Cuban can enter the US."

At about the time I was framing my denial, he ran across the "Russian"
cigars - his term - and graciously accepted three - one for himself then,
and two for after dinner with his dad.

I did pay duty on an extra liter of vodka.

..

George November 12th 04 11:59 AM

Did it star Cheech and Chong?

The difference in density of 20 gallons of gasoline at 95F versus 45F would
make a few good doobies....

Robin Lee November 12th 04 02:05 PM

wrote:

[...]

Hi Igor -

You got it exactly right... our costs are in CDN$ as is most of our
revenue... nothing's changed there, and our margins are exactly where they
should be/have been historically. Our US revenue has declined (after
coversion), as the US dollar has weakened - squeezing margins in the US.

Our inventory through Christmas has been bought and paid for months
ago...any cost reductions on new vendor purchases will take several months
to work their way through to reduce our average costs...

Our costs are certainly hedged - it's the revenue which isn't...

Cheers -

Rob

Leon November 12th 04 02:40 PM

"AAvK" wrote in message

Who fed you that one?

A TV documentary about the mexican border and drugs.

Some propaganda is a good thing. I think you witnessed it.

Richard Clements November 12th 04 04:45 PM

Robert wrote:

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 07:38:29 GMT, Vilpurchasedt and wreck hypocrite "Rob
Stokes" wrote:

Implying I do?

Wipe that stupid g off your face and give it up Robert... If you don't
like the way LV does business, don't do business with them. It's really
that simple. LV's management doesn't have to answer to you or anybody.
It's their company, it's a private company and they can do with it what
they see fit.

It's funny I never read this from you when people call Craftsman (as an
example) tools junk.
I guess there's one set of rules for Sears and another for Lee Valley hey?

Lee Valley can do as they like.
And I have the right to point out their crappy business practices in this
group.

Craftmens tools are Junk, and over priced, I've never purchased any tools
from Lee Valley so I don't know about there quality, if there not, he's
VERY proud of them, there a little out of my price range right now. You
have the right to complain, at least I think Canadians still have that
right, just remember it makes you look like a winning ass, and unfairly
adds to the common preception of what Canadains are he in the states

Richard Clements November 12th 04 05:00 PM

Robert wrote:

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:24:56 -0800,propertyasa"
wrote:

bridgeI caBrooklynbin now: Oh my God! Robert is ****ed at us! We have to
recall
all of our catalogs, reprint everything! Appologize and give him 50% off
on
the $35 CDN He was going to spend with us at Christmas! You heard me
team! Get going!

Cool!
All I can say is it's about ****ing time!

hey Robert I can make you a great deal on some ocean front property in
Arizona, and there's this bridge in Brooklyn that I'll sell for real cheap

LRod November 12th 04 05:13 PM

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:45:29 -0700, Richard Clements
wrote:

Robert wrote:

Why do you guys keep responding to this retard?

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Waldo2 November 12th 04 05:16 PM

Robert wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 03:20:39 GMT, "Rob Stokes" wrote:

Robert's not a "fellow" Canadian, he's an idiot and an embarrassment to the
country.

Well at least I don't drop my pants and bend over every time Rob Lee drops by
the newsgroup.g

Robert,

anchor into a thousand feet of water. What do you think happened then?

Lee Valley is an upstanding company that delivers the best service I
have ever received. If you are not happy with them, then please take
your dollars elsewhere - try Canadian Tire, the BORG, Wallmart or
whatever. With an attitude like yours I'm sure they would love to have
your business while you whine about the 50-60% mark up they often use.
Oh, and about those hard to find items that LV carries, you will do a
hell of a lot of driving to find them elsewhere, that is if anyone else
has them.

By the way, have you ever figure out the overhead costs of running a
business and providing real customer service?

Please take your drivel elsewhere!!