Elmar

Default What to do with 1" MDF?? and a Gloat

I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide
strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and
stuff, what else can you use this for???

Also, I got a sheet of 3/4" plywood, looks like maple, both sides
sanded smooth that was cut in half for $4.01 a half at Lowes....I'll
keep checking the cut box in the back of the store!!!
Leon

"Elmar" wrote in message
om...
I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide
strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and
stuff, what else can you use this for???

Counter top back splashes.

Also, I got a sheet of 3/4" plywood, looks like maple, both sides
sanded smooth that was cut in half for $4.01 a half at Lowes....I'll
keep checking the cut box in the back of the store!!!

If you got it from Lowe's, it was probably Birch.

RKG

Elmar wrote:
I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide
strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and
stuff, what else can you use this for???

Also, I got a sheet of 3/4" plywood, looks like maple, both sides
sanded smooth that was cut in half for $4.01 a half at Lowes....I'll
keep checking the cut box in the back of the store!!!

Actually the dust from cutting MDF on your table saw as pretty toxic but
I have the safety equipment to work with it so you should send it to me.
Just to protect yourself you understand.

Rick
Cherokee-LTD

"Elmar" wrote in message
om...
: I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide
: strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and
: stuff, what else can you use this for???
:

Contact a car audio store and build sub-woofer boxes for them using the MDF.
Quick and easy, oodles of profit if the materials come cheaply.

Here are some guidelines, designs and volume calculators for sub-woofer
boxes

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

-Brian

Elmar

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Mac, thanks for the great idea of
the small shelve for had tools. Maybe I can make "pigeon boxes" large
enough to hold many different tools, drills, jig saw, etc......

At $3 each I think it's a good deal.
Leon

"Elmar" wrote in message
om...
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Mac, thanks for the great idea of
the small shelve for had tools. Maybe I can make "pigeon boxes" large
enough to hold many different tools, drills, jig saw, etc......

At $3 each I think it's a good deal.

Do you know what the going price for a full sheet is? Unless you already
have a use for these narrow pieces, I think I would only get a few for $3
each. You may only be saving $8-$10 over buying a more usable full sheet.
I can buy a 4x8 sheet 1" thick for $26.95. You will be paying about $15-$18
for the equivalent amount of material in less usable sizes.

BiffNightly

If you want a very simple project, take a quick look at the picture I posted
over at ABPW. I simply glued two pieces together to make a slab of 2" thick
MDF, then cut it into 6" strips. I used these pieces to make a frame large
enough (48" tall) to hang above our fireplace, but designed it so the angle
on the top of the frame matched the pitch of our cathedral ceilings. Once
it was assembled, I set my table saw to cut a 45 degree bevel & passed all 4
outside edges thru the saw. After filling the cut edges with wood putty, I
sprayed the entire piece with black melamine paint. Then cut a piece of
mirror that I just happened to have lying around,(I think it was from an old
sliding closet door).NOTE: It's heavy so use a good solid system to hang it.

Total cost....under $25.00 Cdn.

I probably could have sold about ten of them by now, but my day time job
keeps getting in the way of any hope of pursuing a real hobby.
"Elmar" wrote in message
om...
I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide
strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and
stuff, what else can you use this for???

Also, I got a sheet of 3/4" plywood, looks like maple, both sides
sanded smooth that was cut in half for $4.01 a half at Lowes....I'll
keep checking the cut box in the back of the store!!!

Slowhand

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"Elmar" wrote in message
om...
I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide
strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and
stuff, what else can you use this for???

Counter top back splashes.

1" thick backsplashes?????
SH

Doug Miller

In article , "Slowhand" I'm@work wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
.com...

"Elmar" wrote in message
om...
I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide
strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and
stuff, what else can you use this for???

Counter top back splashes.

1" thick backsplashes?????

Would not look out of place on a large countertop. For example, my kitchen
countertops are 1.5" thick. One of them is almost 11 feet long, and the 3/4"
thick backsplash does look a bit skinny.

--
Regards,

Slowhand

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "Slowhand" I'm@work
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
y.com...

"Elmar" wrote in message
om...
I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide
strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and
stuff, what else can you use this for???

Counter top back splashes.

1" thick backsplashes?????

Would not look out of place on a large countertop. For example, my kitchen
countertops are 1.5" thick. One of them is almost 11 feet long, and the
3/4"
thick backsplash does look a bit skinny.

Then my typical 1/2" backsplashes would really look skinny! I do alot of
work for the military dept. here locally and they always spec 3/4"
backsplashes. I have never had the occassion to install 1" yet though.
SH

Alan W

Do you know what the going price for a full sheet is? Unless you already
have a use for these narrow pieces, I think I would only get a few for $3
each. You may only be saving $8-$10 over buying a more usable full sheet.
I can buy a 4x8 sheet 1" thick for $26.95. You will be paying about $15-$18
for the equivalent amount of material in less usable sizes.

Same sheet here at 1" thick is over $50.00 each. They are 100lbs and
even with 2 people are not safe to move around to try and cut down.

Alan
Sandman

Solid surface countertop fabricators often use 3" wide 1" thick MDF
strips to make a framework (build-up) for their countertops.
Full size 49x97 sheets are a bitch. I cut them lengthwise on sawhorses
before I even THINK about taking them to the TS.
BTW, that isn't a great price.
Respectfully,
Rob

I have been following this newsgroup for quite a long time and I am
impressed with the knowledge of so many of the contributors here.
Glad the elections are over.

In article ,
(Elmar) wrote:

I have a chance to get quite a bit of 1" MDF it's in 8-10 inch wide
strips, 8' long for a pretty cheap price. Besides making jigs and
stuff, what else can you use this for???

Also, I got a sheet of 3/4" plywood, looks like maple, both sides
sanded smooth that was cut in half for $4.01 a half at Lowes....I'll
keep checking the cut box in the back of the store!!!

TEF

I use it exactly for the purposes described below and have to special order
it as needed from a local lumber company. I have them ripped the sheet in
half lengthwise for the same reasons you cut yours before putting it on the
TS. Even half-sized sheets are really heavy.