Charlie Self

Default Early Morning Planning

I love this time of year, early morning before it's light, and nippy air that
helps clear the head. Today, I need to cut some cabinet doors, and I don't want
to waste plywood, so I was standing outside thinking it out--this sometimes
works better than pencil and paper--when I realized my rural area was suffering
from a bit of light pollution that wasn't here a few years ago.

I think it's these blasted dusk to dawn insurance lights. Every small church
has at least five (insurance companies require them at every entrance and every
obstacle of certain types). Many houses, including one across the road, and two
others a quarter mile up the road, have one.

I guess those are basic directional pointers for thieves, much like a sign
saying, "Hey, here's something worth stealing".

But I did get the placement figured out for my two doors. I can warm the shop
and get those cut today.

Charlie Self
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence
clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of
hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken
Eric Johnson

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
[...]

I don't mind the farmers when they are out near the livestock but I drive by
a place on the way to work and they have mercury vapor d.t.d. lights
literally screwed to the north and south gable ends of their new country
home. Makes me want to knock on the door and ask 'em if they're afraid of
the dark why did they move out here.
I was thinking you were going to mention the northern lights we've been
seeing here in southern WI for the last few days. Now thats light pollution
I can live with.

EJ

WoodMangler

Charlie Self did say:

[...]

Just how difficult is it to create light fixtures that direct all of the
light DOWN? One of the great things about where I live was the night sky.
Now, I get to see about 75% of it due to the streetlights glaring skyward.

Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I love this time of year, early morning before it's light, and nippy air

that
helps clear the head.

Except for the nonexistent nippy air down here, I know what you mean - a
perfect time to think and plan. I walk most every morning at 5 ...might see
one car in motion, and maybe one or two early rising joggers, but being in
the middle of a big city the light pollution is just that ... however, it
couldn't hide the moon, Jupiter and Venus lining up real pretty this
morning, very low on the eastern horizon.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Chris Hornberger

"Eric Johnson" wrote in message

I don't mind the farmers when they are out near the livestock but I drive

by
a place on the way to work and they have mercury vapor d.t.d. lights
literally screwed to the north and south gable ends of their new country
home. Makes me want to knock on the door and ask 'em if they're afraid of
the dark why did they move out here.
I was thinking you were going to mention the northern lights we've been
seeing here in southern WI for the last few days. Now thats light

pollution
I can live with.

I wholeheartedly agree with the "afraid of the dark" sentiment. I moved
about 50 miles away from Philly recently to rural (but growing - I can't
complain too much I guess - I'm part of the problem) Chester County. My
local development doesn't have street lights, per se, but relies on each
property's post lamp. It's enough that I can walk the pooch without breaking
a leg, but not so much that I can still stop, look up and see more stars
than the city-bound folk have ever seen.

Growth sucks, but every single one of us who moves off to "greener pastures"
is part of the problem. It's up to us to try to keep things as we want it. I
won't let them put street lights in once I'm a member of the home owner's
association. I like it quiet. I like it dark. I like the (relative)
solitude.

Chris Hornberger

"Swingman" wrote in message

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman - you have yourself one sweet little shop, there. Nice work.

I'm still battling with the wife over just how much of the garage I get as
"mine". So far I'm trying to do woodwork and a motorcycle restoration (my
'82 Goldwing - http://www.chornbe.com/motorcycles) in one half of a two-car
garage. Needless to say, I have a lot of mobile bases for my tools. Mobile,
as in, "let me drag it over here where there's 2 extra feet of space".
*sigh*

Swingman

"Chris Hornberger" wrote in message

Swingman - you have yourself one sweet little shop, there. Nice work.

I'm still battling with the wife over just how much of the garage I get as
"mine". So far I'm trying to do woodwork and a motorcycle restoration (my
'82 Goldwing - http://www.chornbe.com/motorcycles) in one half of a

two-car
garage. Needless to say, I have a lot of mobile bases for my tools.

Mobile,
as in, "let me drag it over here where there's 2 extra feet of space".
*sigh*

Thank you! Luckily SWMBO feels the same way about garages and cars as I do
.... contrary to many these days, neither of us sees an automobile as an
extension of our persona/ego, so we've never been concerned with, and see
the foolishness of, housing them in their own $eparate $pace in the climate
we live in.

That leaves the "shop", as small as it is, my domain in its entirety.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Chris Hornberger

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Keep her. She's a rare one

Edwin Pawlowski

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
I think it's these blasted dusk to dawn insurance lights. Every small
church
has at least five (insurance companies require them at every entrance and
every
obstacle of certain types). Many houses, including one across the road,
and two
others a quarter mile up the road, have one.

I guess those are basic directional pointers for thieves, much like a sign
saying, "Hey, here's something worth stealing".

I wonder just how much oil we could save by turning out some lights. Flying
into a city airport in the wee hours I see thousands of street lights, but
don't see any traffic. Entire industrial parks are well lit but no one
working. Businesses have signs lit on their closed stores and no on on the
streets to read them. Just seems plain silly.

But I did get the placement figured out for my two doors. I can warm the
shop
and get those cut today.

Charlie Self
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence
clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of
hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken

Leon

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

I wonder just how much oil we could save by turning out some lights.
Flying into a city airport in the wee hours I see thousands of street
lights, but don't see any traffic. Entire industrial parks are well lit
but no one working. Businesses have signs lit on their closed stores and
no on on the streets to read them. Just seems plain silly.

Oddly, we could probably save a bundle of oil and or coal but it may cost us
more for less light. A couple of years ago I went to the PUC web site to
compare electricity charges by different companies that produce electricity.
I was shocked to find that home owners pay about double the price that big
users use. IIRC some where around 7500- 10,000 kwh of usage per month the
price of electricity came in at 5 cents per kwh. I pay about 10 cents per
kwh.

I am sure there is some law against it but why couldn't a whole neighborhood
be a single customer/customer and each home owner pay for his usage of that
total billed to the neighborhood.

John Thomas

"Chris Hornberger" wrote in
:

Growth sucks, but every single one of us who moves off to "greener
pastures" is part of the problem. It's up to us to try to keep things
as we want it. I won't let them put street lights in once I'm a member
of the home owner's association. I like it quiet. I like it dark. I
like the (relative) solitude.

Or do like we did, and buy old.

Comes with the added bonus of built in ww projects. And thus, the need to
acquire more tools. Win-Win, all the way around...

Regards,

JT
Charlie Self

Eric Johnson responds:

I don't mind the farmers when they are out near the livestock but I drive by
a place on the way to work and they have mercury vapor d.t.d. lights
literally screwed to the north and south gable ends of their new country
home. Makes me want to knock on the door and ask 'em if they're afraid of
the dark why did they move out here.
I was thinking you were going to mention the northern lights we've been
seeing here in southern WI for the last few days. Now thats light pollution
I can live with.

Yes, well, this is a bit too far south for the nothern lights. I have missed
them for a long, long time now.

Charlie Self
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence
clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of
hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken
Charlie Self

Chris Hornberger responds:

Growth sucks, but every single one of us who moves off to "greener pastures"
is part of the problem. It's up to us to try to keep things as we want it. I
won't let them put street lights in once I'm a member of the home owner's
association. I like it quiet. I like it dark. I like the (relative)
solitude.

I moved to this area about 28 years ago as a geographic cure for a failing
marriage. It didn't work immediately, but the area did. I selected the area
mostly because it was well away from anything, but close enough to 2 small
cities for shopping. It has now become something of bedroom community for
Lynchburg & Roanoke, unfortunately. I watched the same sort of thing happen
when I was a kid in NY, in Westchester County. It is unfortunate, expensive,
and the results are nasty.

That said, if I ever had to deal with a homeowner's association, I'd probably
shoot myself.

Charlie Self
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence
clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of
hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken
Juergen Hannappel

otforme (Charlie Self) writes:

[...]

That said, if I ever had to deal with a homeowner's association, I'd probably
shoot myself.

Think again. Who produces the problem, you, the esteemed woodworker or
the homeowner's association? Then decide on whom to shoot.
--
Dr. Juergen Hannappel
http://lisa2.physik.uni-bonn.de/~hannappe

David Merrill

Consider joining or contributing to the International Dark Sky Association"
http://www.darksky.org/ or, better yet, bringing their recommendations and
your concerns to the attention of the local/state government officials who
oversee public lighting.

These are exactly the problems they formed to combat and they have achieved
some success in some states and localities. Yes, outdoor lighting can be
designed to shine only in controlled directions (downward). In fact, its
more efficient (saves money) that way.

David Merrill

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
... I was standing outside thinking it out--this sometimes
works better than pencil and paper--when I realized my rural area was

suffering
from a bit of light pollution that wasn't here a few years ago.

I think it's these blasted dusk to dawn insurance lights. Every small

church
has at least five (insurance companies require them at every entrance and

every
obstacle of certain types). Many houses, including one across the road,

and two
others a quarter mile up the road, have one.

TeamCasa

"Charlie Self"
I love this time of year, early morning before it's light, and nippy air
that
helps clear the head. Today, I need to cut some cabinet doors, and I don't
want
to waste plywood, so I was standing outside thinking it out--this
sometimes
works better than pencil and paper--when I realized my rural area was
suffering
from a bit of light pollution that wasn't here a few years ago.

I think it's these blasted dusk to dawn insurance lights. Every small
church
has at least five (insurance companies require them at every entrance and
every
obstacle of certain types). Many houses, including one across the road,
and two
others a quarter mile up the road, have one.

In a recent vacation to Kona Hawaii, I was struck by the lack of light in
the evenings. It didn't take long to figure out that the whole island has a
light restriction. The Keck Observatory. It really was nice, compared to
the virtual daylight of LA.

Palomar,North of San Diego also has light restrictions, but not nearly the
scale of the big island.

Dave

patriarch

"Leon" wrote in
. com:

snip

I am sure there is some law against it but why couldn't a whole
neighborhood be a single customer/customer and each home owner pay for
his usage of that total billed to the neighborhood.

It is the notion of municipal retail utility distribution. Where the city
manages the 'natural monopoly' portion of electric and/or gas distribution.

I've lived in a town with such a system. It was just fine, and less
expensive than one would expect. They now are installing some of the
fastest residential and business broadband services in the country, at
aggressively low prices, after waiting for the 'big boys' to get off their
backsides for years. That REALLY gets the lobbyists and propagandists
going.

As to whether there are laws against it, it differs in every area. However,
laws can be changed.

Patriarch,
closet populist
Chris Hornberger

"TeamCasa" wrote in message

In a recent vacation to Kona Hawaii, I was struck by the lack of light in
the evenings. It didn't take long to figure out that the whole island has

light restriction. The Keck Observatory. It really was nice, compared to
the virtual daylight of LA.

Might just have to move there. I'm bucking for a job that allows working
from home 100% of the time, so maybe this time next year it's worth
investigating. hmm.....

I do love my dark nights.

patrick conroy

"Eric Johnson" wrote in message

I was thinking you were going to mention the northern lights we've been
seeing here in southern WI for the last few days. Now thats light

pollution

Wow - wouldn't you know it? I leave and they show up...

I grew up with Yerkes Observatory *literally* in my backyard.
(http://astro.uchicago.edu/yerkes/) Was educated about Light Pollution from
an early age...

IIRC - they did say that the adoption of Na lights would make things easier.
Easier, I suppose, to filter out the one wavelngth.

patrick conroy

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I love this time of year, early morning before it's light, and nippy air

that
helps clear the head. Today, I need to cut some cabinet doors, and I don't

want

I love the change of seasons. The occasional gray day, after weeks of
bright sunlight. That crispness, after months of heat. The first snowflakes.

The days get shorter.
The first green buds that appear.
The days that grow longer...

Chad Bender

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:18:43 -0500, TeamCasa wrote:

"Charlie Self"
In a recent vacation to Kona Hawaii, I was struck by the lack of light
in the evenings. It didn't take long to figure out that the whole
island has a light restriction. The Keck Observatory. It really was
nice, compared to the virtual daylight of LA.

Palomar,North of San Diego also has light restrictions, but not nearly
the scale of the big island.

Dave

The light restrictions on the big island are certainly true. However,
both Kona and Hilo still send a large quantity of light upwards. I've
conducted astronomical observations several times a year over the past few
years on the summit of Mauna Kea, and can vouch that both Kona and Hilo
are quite bright at night. They certainly are not as bright as other
cities of the same size that don't have light restrictions. But it is
becoming a problem at the observatory. Waimea and Honokaa are also quite
visible from the summit.

What people seem to not understand is that lighting the sky does not
provide added ground level security and also wastes energy. Using smartly
designed lights that direct all of their light downward can make the
street level considerably brighter and safer, while significantly reducing
sky brightness and energy usage. Unfortunately, these light fixtures are
generally more expensive up front, which seems to trump their long term
energy efficiency benefits in most consumers minds.

Chad
David Hall

"Leon" wrote in message .com...
[...]

I am sure that you could if you were willing to build out the
distribution network for the community and keep it maintained and do
all the individual billing and collections, with the inevitable bad
debt but you have to keep supplying them anyhow, and absorb the costs
during low usage periods when the overhead charge you apply doesn't
actually cover the overhead required to maintain sufficient capacity
to serve everyone's needs during the peak usage periods..... (any idea
what the cost is when a single neighborhhood step-down transformer
blows and needs replaced on an emergency basis while it is 10 below
outside)

Dave Hall
Bob Schmall

[...]

Sky & Telescope magazine, the Fine Woodworking of that hobby, estimates that
more than half the people in the world, and 2/3 of those in the United
States, cannot see the Milky Way. During the recent blackout in New York,
people were calling the police to report a strange huge cloud over the city.
Yep--our galaxy.

I have a famous poster of the United States (there's one of Europe also) at
night, taken by satellites, that shows the entire country lit by
unrestricted lighting. It's easy to pick out your own home town. The
question is, why are they visible from space? Aren't lights supposed to
illuminate the ground?

The loss of the night sky is not only saddening, it is unnecessary. As an
amateur astronomer I know that a high percentage of our lighting is
misdirected, and that proper shielding would not only preserve the sky
but--more importantly for most people--save huge amounts of money. San Diego
changed to a more sophisticated lighting some years ago and saved the
taxpayers about $300,000.

And of course we all know the effect of bright lighting in reducing crime?

The International Dark-Sky Association (http://www.darksky.org/) has drafted
sensible lighting ordinances that would both preserve the night sky AND our
security and safety. Rush Limbaugh has, of course, labeled them a bunch of
left-wing nuts. He's wrong--their purpose is simply as stated in the first
sentence of this paragraph.

Bob

Bob Schmall

"Chad Bender" wrote in message
news
[...]

Chad's right. I'm also an amateur astronomer and can vouch for better
lighting. See my post elsewhere in thsi thread for information on the
International Dark-Sky Assocoation.
The price of sensible lighting fixtures is coming down, and the payback time
lessened considerably. A number of communities nationwide and around the
world have adopted reasonable lighting ordinances, but the problem is
growing. As long as we insist on providing circus lighting for our homes and
businesses it won't be solved.

Bob

Charles Spitzer

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

[...]

when i fly over a city at night, a lot of light is reflected off the ground
back into the sky. shielding the light wouldn't have any affect on this.

Leon

"David Hall" wrote in message
om...

I am sure that you could if you were willing to build out the
distribution network for the community and keep it maintained and do
all the individual billing and collections,

The electrical company is responsable for maintaining lines. The company
that maintains the lines is not the one that I buy electricity from. I live
in Houston and buy my electricity from a company in Dallas.

with the inevitable bad debt but you have to keep supplying them anyhow, and
absorb the costs
during low usage periods when the overhead charge you apply doesn't
actually cover the overhead required to maintain sufficient capacity
to serve everyone's needs during the peak usage periods.....

If the HOA took care of the billing it could cut the power off to the family
that does not pay the bill. I suspect that the home owners in my small
subdivision could save at least $225,000.00 per year. 3 years ago a family
was ecvicted from their home and their home repaired and sold. They refused
to pay the HOA anual bill of $250.00. I really do not think there would be
problem with non payment.

(any idea
what the cost is when a single neighborhhood step-down transformer
blows and needs replaced on an emergency basis while it is 10 below
outside)

That will never happen in Houston. Transformers will blow but still the
electric company will be responsible for the repair.

Howard

Sorry I just can't resist. About twenty years ago I was the !@#$%^&*
who raised electric rates. Done the expert witness thing etc. Two
points:

1-In most NA electrical systems the energy used for street lights
comes from a hydro, coal or nuclear unit. Rarely do we need to run an
oil fired unit to cover early AM load. Sorry we can't stop buying Mid
East oil for that use.

2-Yes, there is a stark difference in price from small customers to
medium and large ones. The larger customers buy their electricity at
higher voltages and the costs of those pole mounted transformers,
distribution wires, etc. don't exist. Second, they tend to buy a
higher percentage during those lower cost back hours. Third, it costs
just slightly more to read a meter and bill a large customer so there
can be a volume difference. Fourth, customer service costs are
generally lower so there can be a volume discount, big customers don't
call in nearly as often. Fifth, problems with no pay and slow pay are
higher with residential and small commercial customers so that is
factored into the rates. And it goes on.

The PUC is supposed to examine in detail whether a class of customers
is paying more or less than their "fair share". The large customers
have their own lawyers in the process and residential customers are
usually well represented by public advocates (well funded also usually
from your electric bill). The customers that tend to get "oppressed"
are the small commercial ones. That's why you want to avoid a
separate meter for your shop.

Yes a whole neighborhood can buy in bulk under some conditions. For
example many large apartment/condo buildings in NYC do just that.
However the building (neighborhood) then has to provide individual
billing, transfomers, meters etc. If its provided by the landlord
there is no savings. Otherwise there are some but offset by costs.

Final point-In states where you can buy your own energy (like TX) big
customers are doing relatively well, but the costs of marketing to and
serving small customers chews up a lot of the savings. Unfortunately
for TX they bet on many new natural gas generating units and their
fuel costs have doubled in the last two years raising costs on the
"free market" substantially.

Howard

"Leon" wrote in message .com...
[...]

Leon

"Howard" wrote in message
om...
Snip

Final point-In states where you can buy your own energy (like TX) big
customers are doing relatively well, but the costs of marketing to and
serving small customers chews up a lot of the savings. Unfortunately
for TX they bet on many new natural gas generating units and their
fuel costs have doubled in the last two years raising costs on the
"free market" substantially.

Yup, I live in Texas. I just wish that the power companies would let us buy
electricity when we needed it. During peak periods the price world be more
expansive and during the winter, weekends, and night hours the price would
be cheaper. I was part of a pilot program in 1996-1997 that my local
electricity company tried out. My electric bill was less than $1,077.00 for
that whole that year. My electric bill the following year after the program
was terminated went up to $1,339.00 with only a 5% increase of usage.

That said, my electric rates last year were basically the same as they were
in 1998.

Prometheus

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:45:56 GMT, "Bob Schmall"
wrote:

[...]

Boy, I wish the municiple sheds across the street would jump on the
sensible lighting wagon... directly out my window, there are six
high-power arc-sodium floodlights to illuminate pole sheds with no one
in them. They run year-round, and all the sheds are there for is to
hold snowplows. The entire block is bright enough to read by day and
night, year-round.

Bob

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Edwin Pawlowski

"Howard" wrote in message

1-In most NA electrical systems the energy used for street lights
comes from a hydro, coal or nuclear unit. Rarely do we need to run an
oil fired unit to cover early AM load. Sorry we can't stop buying Mid
East oil for that use.

OK maybe not oil, but we could burn less coal. There is still cost
associated with the lighting and if it is not needed, someone, someplace,
has to save money, pollute less or otherwise come out ahead.

Charlie Self

Bob Schmall responds:
Another is the insane amount of lighting auto
dealers use to light their lots after business hours. It may be required by
their insurance companies to protect millions of dollars of inventory, but
that's not the point here. The lights could easily be properly shielded and
directed to the ground, performing their intended function without waste.

Even then...on I77 south just as you exit Charleston, WV there's a Ford dealer
with incredibly bright lights on his/her inventory. It actually blinds you as
you come down the road, and is a true hazard on wet nights. I drove that road
off and on for 2-1/2 years and evidently there were no local complaints, so the
lights stayed as they are. I'd bet they are still that way. Dual pollution,
IMO, plus adding unnecessary danger to an already hazardous drive.

Charlie Self
"It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of
common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever
ineligible for public office." H. L. Mencken
Eric Johnson

Ya, we try to get up to 12 mile beach once or twice a year, there isn't any
light pollution there yet..

"Doug Goulden" wrote in message
Been seeing the Northern Lights up here in the UP also they are beautiful.

TeamCasa

Another is the insane amount of lighting auto dealers use to light their
lots after business hours. It may be required by their insurance companies
to protect millions of dollars of inventory, but that's not the point
here. The lights could easily be properly shielded and directed to the
ground, performing their intended function without waste. Sensible
shielded lighting uses lower wattage bulbs to achieve the same effect,
thus reducing the amount of reflected light.

Bob

Bob, I am one of those insane auto dealers. We do use a significant amount
of light on our lots. The lamps are 1000w Metal Halide. They are shielded
and focused only to point down and trimed to stay on the lot but it still a
large amount of light. However, on the non-display areas we used HPS lamps
and they reduce the amount of bounced light. We do leave 20% of the display
lights on after hours for security.

I wish there was a better method.

Dave

Norman D. Crow

[...]

I hate it when they do that! Don't know how many times I've run into similar
lighting over the years.

In the same vein, many yrs. ago in Indianapolis, driving down Madison Ave.(4
lane divided blvd. with cross traffic) at night, there had been an accident
on the Northbound side, but as we were driving South, couldn't see ANYTHING
except a pair of blinding headlights until we got to it, then we could see
the flashing lights on top of the police car. Tried to ask an officer
standing in the middle of the intersection to dim them so people could tell
there was an emergency instead of just being blinded, and was told to "Get
the H*ll out of here". To be honest, I don't believe this was a State or
Sheriff, not even a City boy, but a local Constable, who I've discovered
over the years often have their heads up a long dark tunnel, blinded by
their own authority. It was pure good luck he didn't have a second accident
to go with the original one due to his asinine attitude.

--
Nahmie