firstjois

jo4hn wrote:
Sam Berlyn wrote:

Hi,

I have a drill, jigsaw & sander, as well as a few hand tools and I
would like to make some simple XMas gifts. I am open to any
suggestions... Thanks, SB

As a corollary to the "whatever you buy, the child will like the box
it came in more" axiom, make blocks. Save your offcuts and cut them
into smallish pieces (e.g. 2" x 3" and the like), sand, finish to
suit (paint, poly, etc.) and wrap them up. Nothing like it for the
2 yo set.

You can also glue some together in the rough shape of cars, trucks,
buildings, etc. For extra effort, trivits (sp?), pencil holders and
the like are always welcome. How about a nice piece with perhaps a
big old knot on it, stained, and tack on some Christmas card,
ornament, or decoration along with a hanger on the back.

Thumb through catalogs and see if some photo doesn't stimulate the
"little gray cells".

mahalo,
jo4hn

I've been looking at getting some fence boards and cutting them up (some
way???) to make an umbrella stand. The picket end would be top ends or
even bottoms (get the flat square of wood off the floor) and either 2-3
fence pickets per side would make it wide enough to hold a couple of
umbrellas.

Since I like fence boards maybe the top half of 5 fence boards nailed to a
couple of slats on the back side, drill a few holes for pegs and it's a
hat or coat or both rack?

And to be continued fence: boards maybe 3-5 fence boards (top half) nailed
to a couple of slats with the bottom halves cut up to make two shelves?
Something to hang outdoors on the door or the wall by the door? Maybe add
a hook and a basket to hang on it?

Probably paint them flat white or flat green, not too fancy but functional.

Josie

Brikp

Tree ornaments? Check out ball blanks.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,25 0,43313

Just some sandpaper, decoration and finishing is all you should need.