DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   what to use to glue MDF? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/75808-what-use-glue-mdf.html)

Ah10201 November 5th 04 07:43 AM

what to use to glue MDF?

can I use regular carpenter's glue to glue 2 pieces of MDF edge to edge or is
there special MDF glue that is appropriate?

thanks...

Andy Dingley November 5th 04 11:29 AM

On 05 Nov 2004 07:43:42 GMT, (Ah10201) wrote:

can I use regular carpenter's glue to glue 2 pieces of MDF edge to edge

You can use what you like, it isn't going to hold either way.

Edge butt gluing in MDF is just asking for trouble. Use a biscuit,
dowel or something.

Slowhand November 5th 04 05:51 PM

"Ah10201" wrote in message
can I use regular carpenter's glue to glue 2 pieces of MDF edge to edge or
is
there special MDF glue that is appropriate?

I use titebond 2. Make sure to use biscuits (as opposed to dowels) to help
joint. Dowels will cause the mdf seam to seperate.
SH

mp November 5th 04 07:24 PM

I use titebond 2. Make sure to use biscuits (as opposed to dowels) to
help joint. Dowels will cause the mdf seam to seperate.

Dowels will work just as well as biscuits.

Slowhand November 5th 04 09:23 PM

"mp" wrote in message
I use titebond 2. Make sure to use biscuits (as opposed to dowels) to
help joint. Dowels will cause the mdf seam to seperate.

Dowels will work just as well as biscuits.

Use dowels then. My experience has been not so good with dowels as they
tend to split the mdf layers.
SH

mp November 5th 04 10:06 PM

Use dowels then. My experience has been not so good with dowels as they
tend to split the mdf layers.

The problem would be that the dowel hole is a bit small. Same thing would
apply to undersized biscuit slots.

Bob Peterson November 6th 04 09:38 PM

I tried this once a long while ago. Did not work very well at all. I think
the surface is just too porous. maybe if you tried a biscuit joint? at the
time I tried this I did not won a biscuit cutter.

You might want to make a few samples up out of scrap and see how well it
works.