William

Default An old FWW article on building one's own jointer out of maple

If you are a glass half empty kind of person, stop here... this is an
"outside the box" type of post...

Some of you may remember an old FWW article on building your own
jointer with maple in/out tables... I came across it last weekend.

I want to know if any of you ever tried to build it? Success appears
to have depended on accurate assembly.

I am relying on the fact that FWW is a reputable publication with long
years of success... SOMEBODY had to try it...

I am not trying to save money... I am a tinker at heart and want to
know if this was flash in the pan, or a legit method of do it
yourself.

Please, I do not want to hear the flames about safety and/or saving
time by buying the standard machinery. My wife is flamer enough for
all.

Opinions?

Be well.

William
J T

Thu, Nov 4, 2004, 7:25pm (EST-3) (William) wails:
snip SOMEBODY had to try it... snip

Someone did. High class looking machine.
http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/hook.htm

JOAT
Viet Nam, divorce, cancer. Been there, done that. Now, where the Hell
are my T-shirts?

Sbtypesetter

Just saw the article again the other day.
Highly reminiscent of the old Craftsman.

I'd be more tempted to build a nice two
bed (infeed & outfeed adjustable) with
gibs and machined ways from aluminum.

Still, I gotta admire the man for seeing
through a project like that!