Mike Girouard

Default NEWBIE QUESTION

Greetings to the group.

I actually sent this before but it never appeared so I'll try again.

I had a heart attack in March and during the recuperation I started
woodworking on a semi-serious basis. I learn as I go and I'm not too
unhappy with some of the things I've managed.

(I've found out one interesting thing about myself - I can't actually
plan out anything I make! I can only visualize it in my head and then
go one step at a time and design on the fly! I've become a firm
adherant to the amateur woodworkers' motto: "Cut to shape - Pound to
fit!")

But I have a continuing problem I can't solve.

Can anyone recommend a sealer/stain/paint/varnish/shellac/whatever
that can be used on the INTERIOR of wooden containers made to hold
food? (Like cannisters, bread bins, larders, etc.) It should be a
hard gloss finish (for easy cleaning) and has to be completely
odor-free and non-toxic so no taste or odor transfers to the food
inside.

Is lining the item with plastic or something similar the only answer?

Many thanx for any advice.

FoggyTown

Charlie Self

foggytown asks:

But I have a continuing problem I can't solve.

Can anyone recommend a sealer/stain/paint/varnish/shellac/whatever
that can be used on the INTERIOR of wooden containers made to hold
food? (Like cannisters, bread bins, larders, etc.) It should be a
hard gloss finish (for easy cleaning) and has to be completely
odor-free and non-toxic so no taste or odor transfers to the food
inside.

Is lining the item with plastic or something similar the only answer?

For the most part, it pays to line wooden food containers with a flavor free
wood, yellow poplar, basswood, sycamore, popple (cottonwood), etc.

Even that will get smelly if food is left sitting inside too long, but usually
a wipedown and a day or two food free with some baking soda inside will clear
things up.

Otherwise, plastic or glass liners do work.

Charlie Self
"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
hereditary." Thomas Paine
Swingman

"Mike Girouard" wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a sealer/stain/paint/varnish/shellac/whatever

Shellac, properly applied, is traditional and one of the best solutions. It
is definitely food safe, easily repaired if necessary, safe to apply, and
readily available. Zinser's Bullseye is in a can on the shelf at most supply
stores/BORGs and is not a bad choice for the application.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Old Nick

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:47:37 -0500, "Swingman"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

And here we go painting the insides of our food containers with
bug****! G

"Mike Girouard" wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a sealer/stain/paint/varnish/shellac/whatever

Shellac, properly applied, is traditional and one of the best solutions. It
is definitely food safe, easily repaired if necessary, safe to apply, and
readily available. Zinser's Bullseye is in a can on the shelf at most supply
stores/BORGs and is not a bad choice for the application.

Have you noticed that people always run from what
they _need_ toward what they want?????

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:19:05 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

And here we go painting the insides of our food containers with
bug****! G

Relax.

Fancy an M&M ?

Swingman

"Old Nick" wrote in message

And here we go painting the insides of our food containers with
bug****! G

Hell, you eat the sexual organs of plants every time you have a plate of
vegetables. Think about that next time you have boiled okra. ;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Charlie Self

Andy Dingley responds:

wrote:

And here we go painting the insides of our food containers with
bug****! G

Relax.

Fancy an M&M

And he can have a Tylenol for his headache, while popping some kind of stomach
pill for the turmoil that's undergoing.

But I think it's bug spit, not bug ****. Bug **** is what politicians have for
brains.

Charlie Self
"When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not
hereditary." Thomas Paine
Mike Girouard

Old Nick wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:47:37 -0500, "Swingman"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

And here we go painting the insides of our food containers with
bug****! G

As if the stuff we eat doesn't already contain the USFDA recommended
maximum of bug****.

Now is it best that the shellac be applied to the bare wood or can I
stain the wood with the color I want first then apply a clear varnish.

Thanx
Swingman

"Mike Girouard" wrote in message

Now is it best that the shellac be applied to the bare wood or can I
stain the wood with the color I want first then apply a clear varnish.

Shellac can be applied over stain.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/shellac.htm

http://www.shellac.net/

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/04/04

Frank J. Vitale

Check catalogs for salad bowel finish. I think it is made by Behlan.

There have been articles saying that polyurethane finishes are safe if you
let them cure for awhile.

You might try a Goggle search.

jo4hn

Frank J. Vitale wrote:
Check catalogs for salad bowel finish. I think it is made by Behlan.

[snip]
I guess that should be punctuated with a colon. Made me laugh.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Stephen M

And here we go painting the insides of our food containers with
bug****! G

That's bug *SNOT*

patriarch

"Vince Rouse" wrote in
:

rec.woodworking is a text only group. Binaries get posted to
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sometimes, folks post here, indicating that pictures are 'over there'.

Alternately, a link to a website can be added.

Patriarch