DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Problems nailing oak trim (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/74749-problems-nailing-oak-trim.html)

Dick Snyder October 26th 04 09:35 PM

Problems nailing oak trim

I am building Norm's router table. He finshes the edges of the plywood
carcass with 3/4" x 3/4" oak trim. I have done this before on another
project but I glued and clamped it. Since this is not a piece of furniture
and there was a lot of trim to put on I decided to use glue and 3D finishing
nails. I drilled pilot holes for each of the nails but 50% of them bent and
I had to do them again. I wonder if I should have been using a different
nail or.....................

I'd appreciate your suggestions for the future. I don't plan on buying a
brad nailer anytime soon so I need to figure out how to solve this problem
for the next project I do that needs nailing through oak.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

igor October 26th 04 10:46 PM

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 16:35:19 -0400, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

I am building Norm's router table. He finshes the edges of the plywood
carcass with 3/4" x 3/4" oak trim. I have done this before on another
project but I glued and clamped it. Since this is not a piece of furniture
and there was a lot of trim to put on I decided to use glue and 3D finishing
nails. I drilled pilot holes for each of the nails but 50% of them bent and
I had to do them again. I wonder if I should have been using a different
nail or.....................

I'd appreciate your suggestions for the future. I don't plan on buying a
brad nailer anytime soon so I need to figure out how to solve this problem
for the next project I do that needs nailing through oak.

Have you considered a nail spinner?
http://acmehardware.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=4337374

[email protected] October 26th 04 11:40 PM

wrote:

I am building Norm's router table. He finshes the edges of the plywood
carcass with 3/4" x 3/4" oak trim. I have done this before on another
project but I glued and clamped it. Since this is not a piece of furniture
and there was a lot of trim to put on I decided to use glue and 3D finishing
nails. I drilled pilot holes for each of the nails but 50% of them bent and
I had to do them again. I wonder if I should have been using a different
nail or.....................

I'd appreciate your suggestions for the future. I don't plan on buying a
brad nailer anytime soon so I need to figure out how to solve this problem
for the next project I do that needs nailing through oak.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

just glue and clamps is better.

Leon October 27th 04 01:07 AM

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I am building Norm's router table. He finshes the edges of the plywood
carcass with 3/4" x 3/4" oak trim. I have done this before on another
project but I glued and clamped it. Since this is not a piece of furniture
and there was a lot of trim to put on I decided to use glue and 3D
finishing nails. I drilled pilot holes for each of the nails but 50% of
them bent and I had to do them again. I wonder if I should have been using
a different nail or.....................

I'd appreciate your suggestions for the future. I don't plan on buying a
brad nailer anytime soon so I need to figure out how to solve this problem
for the next project I do that needs nailing through oak.

USE GLUE and drill the holes a bit undersized AND all the way through.

Battleax October 27th 04 01:40 AM

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head off one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill your

pilot
hole.

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail is not a
drill bit.

Preston

Battleax October 27th 04 01:42 AM

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
Looks like a nail spinner is a device to prevent splitting. I solved that
problem with pilot holes but my problem was nails bending while driving

them
home.

Nailspinner is useless. Just drill the pilot hole larger or deeper as
needed.
This is pretty simple stuff here guys

David October 27th 04 04:01 AM

Wanna bet?

David

DanG October 27th 04 04:19 AM

Pretty standard trim carpenter trick if waxed nails don't work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Leon October 27th 04 04:24 AM

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head off
one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill your

pilot
hole.

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail is not a
drill bit.

Quite quickly will the nail will spin through the wood.

Battleax October 27th 04 04:45 AM

"Leon" wrote in message

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head off
one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill your

pilot
hole.

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail is not

drill bit.

Quite quickly will the nail will spin through the wood.

Sure it will go through if you push hard enough, but it's poor practice

Joe Willmann October 27th 04 05:21 AM

Nail gun?

firstjois October 27th 04 05:31 AM

Battleax wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the
head off one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill
your pilot hole.

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail
is not a drill bit.

Quite quickly will the nail will spin through the wood.

Sure it will go through if you push hard enough, but it's poor
practice

Seen it recommended often enough.

Josie

Bryan Berguson October 27th 04 12:23 PM

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head

off
one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill

your
pilot
hole.

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail is

not
drill bit.

Quite quickly will the nail will spin through the wood.

Sure it will go through if you push hard enough, but it's poor practice

Actually, this works very well. I do it all the time in hickory and it's
harder than oak.

Bryan

BUB 209 October 27th 04 12:59 PM

From: "Preston Andreas"

Cut the head off one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill your pilot
hole.

My thunder is almost gone, but hard
trim nails work better than regular,
and you can grind the head off easier
than cutting it.

Mike Marlow October 27th 04 02:08 PM

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head off

one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill your

pilot
hole.

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail is not a
drill bit.

Never tried it, have you? This has been a common practice since shortly
after man invented fire and used it to keep his Neanderthal wood shop warm.
It actually works very well.
--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow October 27th 04 02:09 PM

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head

off
one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill

your
pilot
hole.

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail is

not
drill bit.

Quite quickly will the nail will spin through the wood.

Sure it will go through if you push hard enough, but it's poor practice

Not real hard at all. Poor practice? Why would you say such a thing?
--

-Mike-

Leon October 27th 04 02:23 PM

"Battleax" wrote in message

Sure it will go through if you push hard enough, but it's poor practice

Actually with finish nail sized nails, they go through with not much effort
at all. The key is to use a corded drill that will spin the nail quickly.

Eric Ryder October 27th 04 02:33 PM

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
Looks like a nail spinner is a device to prevent splitting. I solved that
problem with pilot holes but my problem was nails bending while driving

them
home.

Nailspinner is useless. Just drill the pilot hole larger or deeper as
needed.

snip

I've found the spinners handy for installing oak stair treads for 20
years.... I guess I could have saved 3 or 4 years if I hadn't been using
it?

Al Reid October 27th 04 02:44 PM

"Leon" wrote in message m...

"Battleax" wrote in message

Sure it will go through if you push hard enough, but it's poor practice

Actually with finish nail sized nails, they go through with not much effort
at all. The key is to use a corded drill that will spin the nail quickly.

The real problem with using a nail is that it denies one the pleasure of buying the proper tool for the jobg

patriarch October 27th 04 04:58 PM

"Al Reid" wrote in
:

snip
The real problem with using a nail is that it denies one the pleasure
of buying the proper tool for the jobg

which is a Porter Cable Air Powered Brad Nailah....g

Battleax October 27th 04 05:18 PM

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
k.net...

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head off

one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill your

pilot
hole.

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail is not

drill bit.

Never tried it, have you? This has been a common practice since shortly
after man invented fire and used it to keep his Neanderthal wood shop

warm.
It actually works very well

But not as well as a drill bit

igor October 27th 04 05:24 PM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:33:47 -0400, "Eric Ryder"
wrote:

I've found the spinners handy for installing oak stair treads for 20
years.... I guess I could have saved 3 or 4 years if I hadn't been using
it?

Thanks, Eric. Much better than a rejoinder from me.

That being said, I do know some people do not like them. A friend I loaned
mine to recently did not like it when installing shoe moulding. As is
said, YMMV. -- Igor

Mike Marlow October 27th 04 06:12 PM

"Battleax" wrote in message

"Preston Andreas" wrote in message
You are using the wrong bit to drill the pilot hole. Cut the head

off
one
of the finish nails, chuck it into your drill and use it to drill

your
pilot
hole.

That's quite absurd. A nail will not drill into solid oak, a nail is

not
drill bit.

Never tried it, have you? This has been a common practice since shortly
after man invented fire and used it to keep his Neanderthal wood shop

warm.
It actually works very well

But not as well as a drill bit

Yeahbut the difference in the way a finishing nail will drill in and the way
a bit will drill in isn't worth the mention.
--

-Mike-

David October 27th 04 07:31 PM

You CLEARLY don't know what you are talking about here.

David

Leon October 27th 04 10:55 PM

"Battleax" wrote in message

But not as well as a drill bit

Here we go again, Actually better than a drill bit in small sizes. The
small drill bits tend to load up with debris and you have to clean them out.
This is not a problem with spinning a small nail.