DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is there a glue for wood+glass ? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/73456-there-glue-wood-glass.html)

AJ October 16th 04 07:22 PM

Is there a glue for wood+glass ?

Howdy,

I am modifying the look of a 5-panel door. It's a wooden door (douglass fir)
and the panels are glass. I want to glue some new rails that I fabricated
above the old ones. The surfaces to be glued will be both wood and glass.
I will be sanding and painting the door, so imperfections will be hidden.

What kind of glue should I be using? Is there a glue that binds to both
glass and wood? A friend siggested an epoxy (?)

Thanks

-Adrian

Ba r r y October 16th 04 07:59 PM

On 16 Oct 2004 11:22:32 -0700, (AJ) wrote:

What kind of glue should I be using? Is there a glue that binds to both
glass and wood? A friend siggested an epoxy (?)

Most polyurethane glues will bond glass to wood, such as Gorilla Glue.

Practice on scrap. Read the directions, poly-u glues are different
than the average, and are harmful to humans.

Barry

Doug Miller October 16th 04 08:08 PM

In article , (AJ) wrote:
Howdy,

I am modifying the look of a 5-panel door. It's a wooden door (douglass fir)
and the panels are glass. I want to glue some new rails that I fabricated
above the old ones. The surfaces to be glued will be both wood and glass.
I will be sanding and painting the door, so imperfections will be hidden.

What kind of glue should I be using? Is there a glue that binds to both
glass and wood? A friend siggested an epoxy (?)

You should be using no glue at all. The rails should be held in place with
brads, and the holes filled with putty. This is because you *want* those rails
to be removable, easily, in case you ever need to replace broken glass.

--
Regards,

AAvK October 17th 04 05:43 AM

Silicone can be used for this application.
Note: http://www.thistothat.com for glue advice.

I'd be will to bet that site is is for the promotion od and supported by http://www.lepages.com/
Never heard of them before.

Alex

J. Clarke October 17th 04 10:19 AM

AAvK wrote:

Silicone can be used for this application.
Note: http://www.thistothat.com for glue advice.

I'd be will to bet that site is is for the promotion od and supported by
http://www.lepages.com/ Never heard of them before.

Been around a long time--I remember them from when I was a little kid. My
recollection is that when you could get the same kind of glue from two or
more manufacturers lepages was generally the last choice. IIRC they also
had crappy imitation Scotch tape.

Alex

--
--John