John Moorhead

Default question about style of planer, Foundation XIV

Folks -

We pour the slab on Tuesday and we are just about set.... Now the real fun
is starting! We've been going over shop layout and the like, and I've also
been looking at stationary planers - I have a Rigid "Lunchbox" style, and
while it's a sturdy planer, I do need something bigger.

I have been looking at fixed head planers and also moveable head planers.
The moveable head type appeals to me as I could incorporate it into a long
table that would also house the chop saw and mortiser - all of the machine
tables would be at the same height and share infeed and outfeed tables. I
couldn't put a fixed head planer (where the platen moves) in this kind of a
configuration.

What are the pros and cons of each type - any ideas, pointers or tips would
be welcome.

TIA!

John

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:52:59 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

Folks -

We pour the slab on Tuesday and we are just about set.... Now the real fun
is starting! We've been going over shop layout and the like, and I've also
been looking at stationary planers - I have a Rigid "Lunchbox" style, and
while it's a sturdy planer, I do need something bigger.

I have been looking at fixed head planers and also moveable head planers.
The moveable head type appeals to me as I could incorporate it into a long
table that would also house the chop saw and mortiser - all of the machine
tables would be at the same height and share infeed and outfeed tables. I
couldn't put a fixed head planer (where the platen moves) in this kind of a
configuration.

What are the pros and cons of each type - any ideas, pointers or tips would
be welcome.

I think you've hit upon the primary advantage/disadvantage between the
two. Having a fixed head planer would make design of a reasonable
infeed/outfeed very difficult.

TIA!

John

wrote:

[...]

fixed heads are mechanically simpler and so at least theoretically
more reliable.