Maskman

Default Shopmade Panel Saw

In the most recent issue of Fine Woodworking there is an article on building
a collapsable panel saw. Does anyone know of any other designs, plans, etc.
out there?
Thanks a lot,
Jer

Joel Corwith

One of the first ShopNotes has plans for a panel saw. Just guessing I'd say
#4. I pretty much went into Homedepo and copied one of theirs.
http://www.sawtrax.com/
Is pretty similar to the ShopNotes version. And just parts
http://www.sawtrax.com/Page3.html

Joel. phx

And there were 24,400 hits on 'panel saw plans' for a google group search.

"Maskman" wrote in message
In the most recent issue of Fine Woodworking there is an article on

building
a collapsable panel saw. Does anyone know of any other designs, plans,

etc.
out there?
Thanks a lot,
Jer

Bob

I've never understood the relative value of one of the homemade panel
saws. They take up a lot of space, even when folded. I screw a couple
of 7 foot 2x4 boards to the wooden tops of my two sawhorses and lay the
panel on top of them. I adjust the blade of my circular saw to cut
about 1/4" deeper than the thickness of the plywood or Mdf panel (thus
cutting into the 2x4 boards. Its fast and doesn't take up a lot of
space when stored.

Bob

Maskman

Yeah, Bob, that's the way I've been doing it for years and after having
looked at what's involved in the vertical setup as well as the things you've
talked about I'll probably just continue what I've been doing. I sure don't
have much space in my bungalow basement workshop.
Thanks,
Jer
"Bob" wrote in message
I've never understood the relative value of one of the homemade panel
saws. They take up a lot of space, even when folded. I screw a couple
of 7 foot 2x4 boards to the wooden tops of my two sawhorses and lay the
panel on top of them. I adjust the blade of my circular saw to cut
about 1/4" deeper than the thickness of the plywood or Mdf panel (thus
cutting into the 2x4 boards. Its fast and doesn't take up a lot of
space when stored.

Bob

B a r r y

On 11 Sep 2004 21:48:06 -0700, "Bob" wrote:

I've never understood the relative value of one of the homemade panel
saws. They take up a lot of space, even when folded. I screw a couple
of 7 foot 2x4 boards to the wooden tops of my two sawhorses and lay the
panel on top of them. I adjust the blade of my circular saw to cut
about 1/4" deeper than the thickness of the plywood or Mdf panel (thus
cutting into the 2x4 boards. Its fast and doesn't take up a lot of
space when stored.

Bob

That works well, but I've found something works even better for me.

I put the sheet goods on the floor, on foam insulation, and simply
kneel on the sheet with my Makita trim saw. The 2'x8' foam sheets
easily store in my garage rafters, or outside, under my deck. One
could easily cut the foam into whatever size stores the easiest for
them.

I picked this technique up here on the 'wreck a few years back and
have yet to go back to sawhorses.

Barry
Larry Jaques

On 11 Sep 2004 21:48:06 -0700, "Bob" calmly
ranted:

I've never understood the relative value of one of the homemade panel
saws. They take up a lot of space, even when folded. I screw a couple
of 7 foot 2x4 boards to the wooden tops of my two sawhorses and lay the
panel on top of them. I adjust the blade of my circular saw to cut
about 1/4" deeper than the thickness of the plywood or Mdf panel (thus
cutting into the 2x4 boards. Its fast and doesn't take up a lot of
space when stored.

Ditto with scrap strips of 1" insulating foam panels and
a $20 StrateCut(tm) aluminum channel guide. No fuss, no
muss, easy storage.

Have you read the new book "What Would Machiavelli Do?"
----------------------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic, Interactive Websites!

mike

"Maskman" wrote in message news:CSI0d.29138$D%.3360@attbi_s51...
In the most recent issue of Fine Woodworking there is an article on building
a collapsable panel saw. Does anyone know of any other designs, plans, etc.
out there?
Thanks a lot,
Jer

I built a panel saw that is on wheels, similar to saws you see in the
home centers. It is not collaspable but stores along a wall. Uses
sliding door rails and hardware to guide the saw. Accurate, dead
square crosscuts. I do not rip with the panel saw as I have a cabinet
saw for ripping. Last year I had a job that required almost 300
crosscuts in oak plywood, thus building a panel saw.If you anticipate
a lot of crosscutting sheet goods, then a panelsaw is very handy.I
probably could figure out a way to rip with my saw without removing
the saw and turning it 90 degrees on the mdf base.I might lose
accuracy of crosscuts though.

mike
GerryG

I still think the key factor is what you need to do. In the last project I had
3-4 sheets to cut up, and just did it over a bed of 2x4s. The next project
will need about 15 sheets of 3/4 ply and I'm waiting until I can see the
cutting diagrams to decide if it justifies a panel saw. If I had several times
that number of sheets, there wouldn't be any question.

Yes, it could still be done with a straight ends and 2x4s. But then I really
wouldn't need a table saw, either. The reason I have one is because of the
number of rips I typically need. Same with a panel saw if the number of wide
crosscuts grows enough.

It also seems to me that you could make one that would break down into 3-4
pices, yet be easily assembled and aligned. Maybe that'll be the next project,
instead.
GerryG

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:27:38 GMT, "Maskman" wrote:

I like this idea. Thanks.
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On 11 Sep 2004 21:48:06 -0700, "Bob" calmly
ranted:

I've never understood the relative value of one of the homemade panel
saws. They take up a lot of space, even when folded. I screw a couple
of 7 foot 2x4 boards to the wooden tops of my two sawhorses and lay the
panel on top of them. I adjust the blade of my circular saw to cut
about 1/4" deeper than the thickness of the plywood or Mdf panel (thus
cutting into the 2x4 boards. Its fast and doesn't take up a lot of
space when stored.

Ditto with scrap strips of 1" insulating foam panels and
a $20 StrateCut(tm) aluminum channel guide. No fuss, no
muss, easy storage.

Have you read the new book "What Would Machiavelli Do?"
http://diversify.com Dynamic, Interactive Websites!

Cable Tech

Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy