Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Clip-on Infeed Support for Table Saw

Built this clip-on infeed support, and found it to be very handy when using sleds, , to stop the sled falling off the front of table saw.
It provides most of the benefits of an infeed table, and still allows me to move my body right up to the front of saw.

Here is a video showing how it works and how to make one: https://youtu.be/pp-9-CZes2I
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/18gz

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...w-3093500-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2021 8:01 AM, StevenWoodward wrote:
Built this clip-on infeed support, and found it to be very handy when
using sleds, , to stop the sled falling off the front of table saw. It
provides most of the benefits of an infeed table, and still allows me to
move my body right up to the front of saw.

Here is a video showing how it works and how to make one:
https://youtu.be/pp-9-CZes2I
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/18gz

Very Cool!

Now work on your dust collection. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 9:01:36 AM UTC-5, StevenWoodward wrote:
Built this clip-on infeed support, and found it to be very handy when using sleds, , to stop the sled falling off the front of table saw.
It provides most of the benefits of an infeed table, and still allows me to move my body right up to the front of saw.

Here is a video showing how it works and how to make one: https://youtu.be/pp-9-CZes2I
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/18gz

For those that don't want to make their own, Izzy Swan sells one for $70. (No affiliation, just tossing it out there.)

https://www.izzyswan.com/Store/In-Fe...aws-p237211510

This video shows his original version, with a wooden clamping mechanism, since upgraded to use a clamp like yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZmbZLZLrb8

Izzy Swan makes some pretty cool stuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 9:01:36 AM UTC-5, StevenWoodward wrote:
Built this clip-on infeed support, and found it to be very handy when using sleds, , to stop the sled falling off the front of table saw.
It provides most of the benefits of an infeed table, and still allows me to move my body right up to the front of saw.

Here is a video showing how it works and how to make one: https://youtu.be/pp-9-CZes2I
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/18gz

Grab your router and add a miter gauge slot.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 11:43:04 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 9:01:36 AM UTC-5, StevenWoodward wrote:
Built this clip-on infeed support, and found it to be very handy when using sleds, , to stop the sled falling off the front of table saw.
It provides most of the benefits of an infeed table, and still allows me to move my body right up to the front of saw.

Here is a video showing how it works and how to make one: https://youtu.be/pp-9-CZes2I
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/18gz

Grab your router and add a miter gauge slot.

Was thinking the same thing...or just keep the edge of the support board to either side of the miter slot...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2021 10:43 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 9:01:36 AM UTC-5, StevenWoodward wrote:
Built this clip-on infeed support, and found it to be very handy when using sleds, , to stop the sled falling off the front of table saw.
It provides most of the benefits of an infeed table, and still allows me to move my body right up to the front of saw.

Here is a video showing how it works and how to make one: https://youtu.be/pp-9-CZes2I
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/18gz

Grab your router and add a miter gauge slot.

You do not need a miter bar slot. Place on the outside of the miter
slots or between.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 2:39:32 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 2/9/2021 10:43 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 9:01:36 AM UTC-5, StevenWoodward wrote:
Built this clip-on infeed support, and found it to be very handy when using sleds, , to stop the sled falling off the front of table saw.
It provides most of the benefits of an infeed table, and still allows me to move my body right up to the front of saw.

Here is a video showing how it works and how to make one: https://youtu.be/pp-9-CZes2I
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/18gz

Grab your router and add a miter gauge slot.

You do not need a miter bar slot. Place on the outside of the miter
slots or between.

It isn't a "need", it's more of a "might as well".

For the simple step of routing the slot, you get solid support for
both sides of a miter gauge. You can set it on there and walk away.

Izzy Swan likes having one, and he uses a SawStop, so he's pretty smart. ;-)

https://d2j6dbq0eux0bg.cloudfront.ne...1667131895.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/9/2021 4:41 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I will have to disagree. Little support is actually needed unless you
are cutting very wide, and in that case you don't need a sled.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 11:22:23 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

I'm a bit confused by that response. I mentioned full support of the *miter gauge* as
shown in the Izzy Swan image that I linked to. You mentioned the lack of need of a
sled. I'm not seeing the connection between my comment and yours.

There have been times when I've wanted to cut a board, with my miter gauge, that was
wider than the distance between the front of my TS and the front of the blade. The
slotted infeed table that I linked to would mitigate that situation quite nicely.

As I said earlier, it's not a need, but I see no reason not to add the slot. It only makes the
infeed table more versatile. I certainly don't see any downside.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I fully agree on the need for dust collection. I have settled on the DustRight 1250, but Rockler will not ship to Canada, so I have to wait until Covid has settled down and I can drive across the border to Buffalo to pick one up. ;-)

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...w-3093500-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 1:01:04 PM UTC-5, StevenWoodward wrote:
I fully agree on the need for dust collection. I have settled on the DustRight 1250, but Rockler
will not ship to Canada, so I have to wait until Covid has settled down and I can drive across
the border to Buffalo to pick one up. ;-)

Go Bills!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2021 11:02 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Well. ;~) every miter gauge should have a decent length fence... But
if you are not using a fence with your miter gauge I guess a slot might
work out better.
With that said, the OP was talking about a sled, not a miter gauge as
you have now pointed out.

There have been times when I've wanted to cut a board, with my miter gauge, that was
wider than the distance between the front of my TS and the front of the blade. The
slotted infeed table that I linked to would mitigate that situation quite nicely.

As I said earlier, it's not a need, but I see no reason not to add the slot. It only makes the
infeed table more versatile. I certainly don't see any downside.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 1:55:09 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

umm...I pointed out the miter gauge 2 days ago.

In any case, as long as I'm going through the trouble to make one, I'd probably
just add the slot before sweeping up. I just don't see any downside...unless I
screw up the slot.

Maybe I should add the slot first. ;-)

There have been times when I've wanted to cut a board, with my miter gauge, that was
wider than the distance between the front of my TS and the front of the blade. The
slotted infeed table that I linked to would mitigate that situation quite nicely.

As I said earlier, it's not a need, but I see no reason not to add the slot. It only makes the
infeed table more versatile. I certainly don't see any downside.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 3:23:15 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

No reason not to make the slot, if you are so inclined. I would probably make the slot a little over-sized so the support need not be perfectly placed in order to perform its function...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 18:01:00 +0000, StevenWoodward
wrote:

I fully agree on the need for dust collection. I have settled on the DustRight 1250, but Rockler will not ship to Canada, so I have to wait until Covid has settled down and I can drive across the border to Buffalo to pick one up. ;-)

That's not a lot of dust collection if you have any large, or many,
tools. I don't see any spec on the particle size either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:48:53 -0800 (PST), Brian Welch
wrote:

[...]

Reading through this thread, that was the question had. Maybe support
only the edges and have a 6" wide miter "slot".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2021 12:01 PM, StevenWoodward wrote:
I fully agree on the need for dust collection.Â*Â*Â* I have settled on the
DustRight 1250, but Rockler will not ship to Canada, so I have to wait
until Covid has settled down and I can drive across the border to
Buffalo to pick one up.Â* ;-)

I would very strongly advise to get the one with the canister filter.

I do quite a bit of building and I finally got the Jet 1100 CFM version
almost 15 years ago.

You really don't want to have to be emptying a bag. A throw away
plastic bag is soooo much easier and less messy. And you can use
inexpensive black contractor bags. No need for clear bags. No, you
cannot see through black bags but once the clear bags develop static
electricity it is also hard to see how full it is. I just feel the bag
to determine how full it is.

That canister is still doing just fine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2021 2:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I must'a missed the miter gauge comment...

Anyway, this reminds me of the debate 15~20 years ago about the need for
the out feed table miter slot. Does it need to be a precise fit or
simply somewhere for the miter gauge bar to exit.

The answer is wider than the bar. The miter gauge is way past needing
to be guided once past the blade.

On the front side however I think you need to have the slot as accurate
as the miter slot on the TS slots, especially if guiding stock wider
than the distance from the front of the saw table top to the front of
the blade.

There have been times when I've wanted to cut a board, with my miter gauge, that was
wider than the distance between the front of my TS and the front of the blade. The
slotted infeed table that I linked to would mitigate that situation quite nicely.

As I said earlier, it's not a need, but I see no reason not to add the slot. It only makes the
infeed table more versatile. I certainly don't see any downside.

No down side other than having to do it and do it so that it indexes
accurately to the TS slot..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 10:20:07 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

I use a hybrid version of your bag theory. The clear bags are of heavier material and significantly more expensive/harder to find.
Much like an innertube and bicycle tire, I use a disposable trash bag liner inside the clear bag. When full, remove and toss the trash bag and re-use the clear outer bag.
Agree it is harder to see when the bag is full, but far from impossible to determine...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:29:12 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

Longer bar? Particularly on a sled. I don't see cutting or lining up
the infeed table as accurately as the miter slot is to the blade.
Unless it is, I don't see the purpose of making it the same size other
than to bind the bar.

There have been times when I've wanted to cut a board, with my miter gauge, that was
wider than the distance between the front of my TS and the front of the blade. The
slotted infeed table that I linked to would mitigate that situation quite nicely.

As I said earlier, it's not a need, but I see no reason not to add the slot. It only makes the
infeed table more versatile. I certainly don't see any downside.

No down side other than having to do it and do it so that it indexes
accurately to the TS slot..

Don't see it being accurate enough to matter and perhaps make the
situation worse.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2021 3:48 PM, Brian Welch wrote:
[...]

So normally I would agree if using the slot for support on the back side.

The front side is a different matter.

Most miter gauge bars need to be fully engaged in the TS miter slot to
travel parallel to the blade. The further, out in front of the TS top,
that the miter gauge face or fence is, the more it will wobble and or
not be square to the blade. If the the miter bar is out on the
improvised support it is likely going to be guiding a piece of wood that
requires it to be out there. You need that slot to be accurately for
that purpose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Copy pasted form one of my other replies....

So normally I would agree if using the slot for support on the back side.

The front side is a different matter.

Most miter gauge bars need to be fully engaged in the TS miter slot to
travel parallel to the blade. The further, out in front of the TS top,
that the miter gauge face or fence is, the more it will wobble and or
not be square to the blade. If the the miter bar is out on the
improvised support it is likely going to be guiding a piece of wood that
requires it to be out there. You need that slot to be accurately for
that purpose.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I hear you but that requires that the infeed slot be perfectly aligned
with the TS slot. It's easy to do with an outfeed table because it
can be aligned and bolted to the TS. I wouldn't think it would be so
easy with one of these "infeed tables". They'd be hard to align and
move during use. It would seem that the answer would be a longer bar
and/or one with better alignment to the slot along its length.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, February 12, 2021 at 3:42:17 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
[...]

My thoughts *exactly*.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Why wouldn't you just use the miter gauge bar to align the infeed table
before engaging the clamp?

Or even keep a long piece of bar to use for alignment purposes.

It really doesn't sound all that hard to me. What are you imagining
the problem to be?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 18:38:42 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:

[...]

Maybe. Not convinced the slot is necessary. Supports for the edge and
a place for the bar to ride seems to be enough.

Or even keep a long piece of bar to use for alignment purposes.

If you have a long piece of bar, put it on the sled.

It really doesn't sound all that hard to me. What are you imagining
the problem to be?

I have no issue with the infeed table concept. I'm just not convinced
the accurate slot is worth it. I'd even make the "slot" 50% of the
width of the infeed table. Just enough to keep the workpiece and bar
from falling on the floor.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Probably is, assuming enough of the bar is in the TS slot to ensure
that there is no side to side slop at the handle end of the miter
gauge. A perfectly sized slot and proper alignment would ensure
that.

With only an inch or so of my bar in the TS slot, I get have some slop.
Once it's engaged about third of the way, it's solid. Could just be my
saw/gauge combination, but I would need a perfectly sized slot to
eliminate the slop.

Or even keep a long piece of bar to use for alignment purposes.

If you have a long piece of bar, put it on the sled.

It really doesn't sound all that hard to me. What are you imagining
the problem to be?

I have no issue with the infeed table concept. I'm just not convinced
the accurate slot is worth it. I'd even make the "slot" 50% of the
width of the infeed table. Just enough to keep the workpiece and bar
from falling on the floor.

Again, assuming no slop if you only put the tip in. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2021 6:26 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 14:45:51 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

More dumbness from the guy that can't cut a straight line.

The out feed table can have a wider slot that the table slot because it
does nothing other than let the miter gauge bar slide though the cut. It
is not there for alignment of anything.

This infeed table can easily be aligned simply by engaging the miter
gauge bar partially in the both slots before clamping.Do you even own a
table saw?
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 06:22:10 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:

[...]

I was at Woodcraft today, somehow the mind drifted to this discussion
while browsing in the toy store. Incra makes 18" and 24" zero-play
miter bars for about $20-$25. These should be long enough.

It really doesn't sound all that hard to me. What are you imagining
the problem to be?

I have no issue with the infeed table concept. I'm just not convinced
the accurate slot is worth it. I'd even make the "slot" 50% of the
width of the infeed table. Just enough to keep the workpiece and bar
from falling on the floor.

Again, assuming no slop if you only put the tip in. ;-)

If the board is that wide, I'll use the rip fence or track saw. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:23:53 -0500, Jack wrote:

On 2/12/2021 6:26 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 14:45:51 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Has anyone told you that you're an asshole. Let me join the
multitudes.

The out feed table can have a wider slot that the table slot because it
does nothing other than let the miter gauge bar slide though the cut. It
is not there for alignment of anything.

You really are an illiterate idiot.

This infeed table can easily be aligned simply by engaging the miter
gauge bar partially in the both slots before clamping.Do you even own a
table saw?

Yup. Illiterate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

The first 2 rules of usenet:

1 - Don't feed the trolls.
2 - Ignore Rule #1 because trolls are major assholes and will keep coming
back even if you ignore them.

Since ignoring them doesn't make any difference, you might as well have fun
pointing out their ass-holiness.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That's a good strategy for trolls. While all Usenet trolls are
assholes, not every asshole on the Usenet is a troll. Some are just
assholes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Except with a miter other than 90 degrees, for the use of the fence,
which is what I do. Angled cuts that will not easily fit on the TS get
the track saw for me too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 14:45:51 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yep, usually by morons that can't defend the moronic things they say,
other than to name call.

The out feed table can have a wider slot that the table slot because it
does nothing other than let the miter gauge bar slide though the cut. It
is not there for alignment of anything.

You really are an illiterate idiot.

This infeed table can easily be aligned simply by engaging the miter
gauge bar partially in the both slots before clamping.Do you even own a
table saw?

Yup. Illiterate.

More of the same moronic retorts.
--
Jack
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Neither one of you fools have a clue about woodworking, and even less
about what makes an internet troll a troll.

Simply calling someone an asshole is not how you point out one is an
asshole.

I pointed out in detail exactly why Kevin is a moron regarding his lame
ass position on both infeed table and outfeed table slots. All he could
do is call me an asshole, but provided NO evidence to support his
moronic position on the issues. Simply name calling doesn't cut it for
anyone over 8 years old.

Kevin has been giving one word childish responses to his moronic,
defenseless positions to about anyone that bothers to point them out to
him. In other words, he's a maroon.
--
Jack

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep, a troll.

Simply calling someone an asshole is not how you point out one is an
asshole.

I see you know your name.

snipped due to boredom
Posted to rec.woodworking

Into the bozo bin you go. I'd suggest it to others but that wouldn't
be kind.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Maybe not! I have an Incra 1000HD miter gauge with the adjustable bar,
18" IIRC. If the miter gauge part is not over the TS top, it wobbles
back and forth. There are only 6 contact points/expansion disks along
the bar to insure the proper fit. The paired left and right expansion
disks are on each end and a pair are near the pivot point of the miter
gauge. So if the fence is not over the TS top there is only 1 pair of
expansion disks on the far end. With this length bar the fence has to
be over the TS top for any accuracy.

The longer bar that comes with the Incra sled has 10 pair and may work
better but $40.. Incra's web site price.

The individual bars do not appear to be much better, not the same as the
one that comes with the sled, than the one on my miter gauge.