DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   sHARPENED (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/68409-re-sharpened.html)

srazor September 8th 04 08:41 PM

sHARPENED

What is with people using the word "sharpened" in this manner (from the Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Scot

Daniel September 8th 04 09:00 PM

srazor wrote:
What is with people using the word "sharpened" in this manner (from the Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Yup. Or "need sharpening".

Mark & Juanita September 8th 04 09:01 PM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:41:13 GMT, "srazor" wrote:

What is with people using the word "sharpened" in this manner (from the Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Scot

Fading memories of proper grammatical construction most likely. Yes, it
is somewhat annoying.

gw September 8th 04 10:01 PM

"srazor" wrote in message
. ..
What is with people using the word "sharpened" in this manner (from the

Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need
sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably
need TO BE sharpened."

Scot

Or: "They prolly need sharpened"

I hate "prolly"

Andy Dingley September 8th 04 10:47 PM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:41:13 GMT, "srazor" wrote:

What is with people using the word "sharpened"

Common in Ireland, and some parts of the USA.
--
Smert' spamionam

Dave W September 8th 04 11:13 PM

My wife is from Pittsburgh and uses that construction all the time. Drives
me nuts!

Kevin Singleton September 8th 04 11:43 PM

Pittsburghers do talk funny, don't they? "Yins"?

--
Kevin
-=#=-

Bill Stock September 9th 04 12:02 AM

"srazor" wrote in message
. ..
What is with people using the word "sharpened" in this manner (from the

Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need
sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably
need TO BE sharpened."

Scot

LOL, I've got a bad habit of saying "it needs fixed". Really bugs an anal
retentive city slicker friend of mine. He never should have told me. :)

charlie b September 9th 04 12:25 AM

Add the British "He was in hospital." Seems "the" and "a"
are no longer used in England.

The incomplete "Can I go with?"

The southern favorite "I'm fixin' to ..."

And my current favorite - "goes/go" in place of "said"
as in "Dude - and then he goes 'Oh yeah". And I go 'Yeah!'."

charlie b

Godzilla September 9th 04 12:26 AM

gw wrote:

Or: "They prolly need sharpened"

I hate "prolly"

It has its place - as in "Prolly wanna cracker?"

;-)

Godzilla

Charlie Self September 9th 04 01:05 AM

charlie b adds:

Add the British "He was in hospital." Seems "the" and "a"
are no longer used in England.

The incomplete "Can I go with?"

The southern favorite "I'm fixin' to ..."

And my current favorite - "goes/go" in place of "said"
as in "Dude - and then he goes 'Oh yeah". And I go 'Yeah!'."

That last one has been around for at least a decade and a half. I recall being
****ed at the youngest kid's constant use of it during her high school daze.

How about a really great one, "It's so fun."

Charlie Self
"Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and
hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

[email protected] September 9th 04 01:22 AM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:41:13 GMT, "srazor" wrote:

What is with people using the word "sharpened" in this manner (from the Vintage Saws web page) "more likely is the fact that they probably need sharpened". I see it on eBay too. I believe it should be "...they probably need TO BE sharpened."

Scot

I had it explained to me that this is a pennsylvania dutch (IIRC)
grammatical structure, probably carried over from some obscure dialect
of german...

David Hall September 9th 04 01:47 AM

"Dave W" wrote in message
My wife is from Pittsburgh and uses that construction all the time.
Drives
me nuts!

Yunz need ta get over it.

Dave Hall
a West Virginian who has lived in Pittsburgh 20 years too long

Larry Jaques September 9th 04 01:55 AM

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:25:09 -0700, charlie b
calmly ranted:

Add the British "He was in hospital." Seems "the" and "a"
are no longer used in England.

The incomplete "Can I go with?"

The southern favorite "I'm fixin' to ..."

And my current favorite - "goes/go" in place of "said"
as in "Dude - and then he goes 'Oh yeah". And I go 'Yeah!'."

"When you go there, bring it with you." vs. "take"

--
Guns don't kill people. Rappers do!
-----------------------------------

Mark & Juanita September 9th 04 02:15 AM

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:13:28 -0400, "Dave W"
wrote:

My wife is from Pittsburgh and uses that construction all the time. Drives
me nuts!

[straying further from the topic]: My wife's family is from MO -- they
have a hard time with the difference between "idea" and "ideal", as in "Tim
had a great ideal, we're going to have a picnic on Saturday!" or, the
converse, "Fastening that board that way is idea!"

Just one of those things that makes one cringe.

Mark & Juanita September 9th 04 02:17 AM

On 09 Sep 2004 00:05:46 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)

How about a really great one, "It's so fun."

? What's wrong with that one? You're just pronouncing it wrong, it's
really, "It's sooo fun"

:=)

Andy Dingley September 9th 04 02:19 AM

wrote:

Add the British "He was in hospital." Seems "the" and "a"
are no longer used in England.

Would you be "in jail", or "in the jail" / "in a jail" ?
Brits find themselves "in hospital" or "in gaol". It's an adjectival
state, not a location. The reason for being there is far more
important than where you're doing it.

Mark & Juanita September 9th 04 02:29 AM

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:46:55 -0400, "Gary W" wrote:

Don't get me started...

I'm coming to the picnic with yuns. What should I bring with?

That's right, the correct grammatical construct is, "I'm coming to the
picnic with ya'll. What ya'll want me to bring?

James September 9th 04 02:49 AM

Stay where you is, till I get where your at. ya gotta luv dilec from a
provance that has places like, Come By Chance and Vergin Cove. NFLd.

No, I'm not from there but they are a great people.

James
www.cryscom.nb.ca

Michael Baglio September 9th 04 03:33 AM

wrote:

And my current favorite - "goes/go" in place of "said"
as in "Dude - and then he goes 'Oh yeah". And I go 'Yeah!'."

And from out of nowhere, (probably California), comes "way."

We can now drop "much", "very", "too", "exceedingly", and several
other words from the English language because (I swear I'm not making
this up), even NPR reporters are starting to use it in their speech.

Better, much better, best.
Not better, mo' better, and way better.

Is mo' better better than way better? Is mo' better _way_ better than
way better or just better?

(Obww) Is applying Varnish over shellac over oil better than a
varnish / oil mix, or is it way better?

sigh
Between "near" and "farthest" there isn't a point that's "way far."
At least there wasn't until an NPR reporter used that phrase to
describe distance recently. I nearly wrecked the car, 'cause I was
way shocked.

Michael "I'm way sexy for my shirt" Baglio

Joe Wells September 9th 04 05:07 AM

wrote:

My wife is from Pittsburgh and uses that construction all the time.
Drives me nuts!

[straying further from the topic]: My wife's family is from MO -- they
have a hard time with the difference between "idea" and "ideal", as in
"Tim had a great ideal, we're going to have a picnic on Saturday!" or,
the converse, "Fastening that board that way is idea!"

Just one of those things that makes one cringe.

Hey now, that isn't really a Missouri thing. I've been around one or two
people who get that wrong, certainly not everyone around here. On the
other hand, SWMBO insists on shoehorning an R into Washington. Drives me
crazy every time.

--
Joe Wells

Kevin Singleton September 9th 04 01:11 PM

Just bring the Yings, annat! Go, Stillers!

I always get a double-take when I talk to people, here. Some have been so
bold as to suggest the _I_ have an accent!

--
Kevin
-=#=-

jo4hn September 9th 04 04:41 PM

charlie b wrote:

Add the British "He was in hospital." Seems "the" and "a"
are no longer used in England.

The incomplete "Can I go with?"

The southern favorite "I'm fixin' to ..."

And my current favorite - "goes/go" in place of "said"
as in "Dude - and then he goes 'Oh yeah". And I go 'Yeah!'."

charlie b

A couple of my learned kids used "all" in place of "said" or some other
appropriate past tense verb, as in "He's all, 'Dude, whazzup?'"
mahalo,
jo4hn (who didn't know that people thought the characters in "Fargo"
spoke with an accent)

Charlie Self September 9th 04 05:13 PM

jo4hn responds:

And my current favorite - "goes/go" in place of "said"
as in "Dude - and then he goes 'Oh yeah". And I go 'Yeah!'."

charlie b

A couple of my learned kids used "all" in place of "said" or some other
appropriate past tense verb, as in "He's all, 'Dude, whazzup?'"
mahalo,
jo4hn (who didn't know that people thought the characters in "Fargo"
spoke with an accent)

I been knowing him forever.

By the way, what's Fargo? Used to be a western series (books, not idjit box) by
that name, but it stopped years ago, AFAIK.

patrick conroy September 9th 04 06:11 PM

"Kevin Singleton" wrote in message

Pennsylvania. I never heard it in Texas.

Say I 'member that too.

Want a Coke? OK, what kind?

(Still "Jonesin'" for the free hot rolls at a good BBQ joint.)

patrick conroy September 9th 04 06:11 PM

"srazor" wrote in message
. ..

What is with people using the word "sharpened" in this manner (from the

Vintage Saws web page) "more likely

Just like wood, language is dynamic and is in motion.
Just like wood, if you try to inhibit the expansion/contraction cycle, it'll
crack.

jo4hn September 9th 04 06:13 PM

Charlie Self wrote:

jo4hn responds:

And my current favorite - "goes/go" in place of "said"
as in "Dude - and then he goes 'Oh yeah". And I go 'Yeah!'."

charlie b

A couple of my learned kids used "all" in place of "said" or some other
appropriate past tense verb, as in "He's all, 'Dude, whazzup?'"
mahalo,
jo4hn (who didn't know that people thought the characters in "Fargo"
spoke with an accent)

I been knowing him forever.

By the way, what's Fargo? Used to be a western series (books, not idjit box) by
that name, but it stopped years ago, AFAIK.

A mystery film that came out a few years ago. Nominated for an Academy
Award or two. Folks there spoke as I probably did before moving to
Californy, ya know? "Ya know?" is the north central US equivalent to
"eh?"
yew betcha,
ya4hn (who can do Ole wid da best of 'em dere, you behhtcha)

J. Clarke September 9th 04 07:22 PM

patrick conroy wrote:

"Kevin Singleton" wrote in message

Pennsylvania. I never heard it in Texas.

Say I 'member that too.

Want a Coke? OK, what kind?

Of course with Vanilla Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Classic, Caffeine Free Diet
Coke, Caffiene-free Coke Classic, Cherry Coke, Diet Coke with Lemon, Diet
Coke with Lime, Diet Cherry Coke, and Coke 2, it's a legitimate question
these days.

(Still "Jonesin'" for the free hot rolls at a good BBQ joint.)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Mark & Juanita September 9th 04 07:52 PM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:11:25 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

"Kevin Singleton" wrote in message

Pennsylvania. I never heard it in Texas.

Say I 'member that too.

Want a Coke? OK, what kind?

(Still "Jonesin'" for the free hot rolls at a good BBQ joint.)

Same here in AZ, I really miss Spring Creek BBQ and the "bread girl" who
would pass out those fresh hot rolls as soon as they came out of the oven.
mmm mmm good!

Tom Watson September 9th 04 11:18 PM

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 17:01:47 -0400, "Kevin Singleton"
wrote:

It may be a regional colloquialism. They say things like that, here, in
Pennsylvania. I never heard it in Texas.

Yup, here in Pennsyltucky we also have "cricks" instead of creeks.

In Philadelphia there are "shtreets" where others have streets.

One of the "shtreets" is spelled Passyunk but is invariably pronounced
"Passhyunk".

Over to Jersey they gots a town spelled Buena, which the locals
pronounce as "Byoona" and I'm told that when folks stop in "Byoona"
and ask where Buena is - people just say, "Never heard of it".

It is often the case that I will ask for Drawings but will be given
"Drawlings".

This reminds me of the time that I was listening to a Richard Pryor
routine in which the father of a child who was going to leave the
house without permission was told, "Don't nobody said you could go no
place".

This made me think of how such a sentence might be diagrammed...

....and then I passed out.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

patrick conroy September 10th 04 12:11 AM

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

patrick conroy wrote:

Want a Coke? OK, what kind?

Of course with Vanilla Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Classic, Caffeine Free Diet
Coke, Caffiene-free Coke Classic, Cherry Coke, Diet Coke with Lemon, Diet
Coke with Lime, Diet Cherry Coke, and Coke 2, it's a legitimate question
these days.

'Cept 9 out'a 10 times - it's Dr. Pepper. :)

patrick conroy September 10th 04 12:11 AM

"jo4hn" wrote in message
nk.net...

jo4hn (who didn't know that people thought the characters in "Fargo"
spoke with an accent)

Grew up near them nek-o-woods. Loved "Fargo".
Cemented my respect for Bill Macy too.

He's a turner, dontch'a know?
Hmm - I'm thirsty. I'm off to the bubbler...

Kevin Singleton September 10th 04 12:17 PM

Ahh. Dr. Pepper. I look for it, but it's hard to come by. Lotsa Pepsi,
though. Ugh.

--
Kevin
-=#=-

Australopithecus scobis September 11th 04 01:19 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:20:51 -0700, Larry Blanchard wrote:

And unless my memory is failing, that practice is new since those long
ago days when I went to school

Commas and periods go inside the quotation marks. Semicolons and colons go
outside the closing quotation mark. Question marks and exclamation marks
go inside the quote if they apply to the quote; otherwise, outside.

--Warriner's _English Grammar and Composition_

...._Don't_ make me draw my Fowler...

--
"Keep your ass behind you"

Tom Watson September 11th 04 01:38 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:19:47 -0500, Australopithecus scobis
wrote:

..._Don't_ make me draw my Fowler...

Strunk and White is God.

Larry Jaques September 11th 04 04:20 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:38:48 -0400, Tom Watson
calmly ranted:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:19:47 -0500, Australopithecus scobis
wrote:

..._Don't_ make me draw my Fowler...

Strunk and White is God.

Are.

_Don't_ make me draw my Webbie's Hernia Edition...

give me The Luxuries Of Life * http://www.diversify.com
i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Michael Baglio September 11th 04 04:24 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:38:48 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

Strunk and White is God.

On an entirely unrelated note, I owe you a word of thanks, since I
swiped one o' your ideas.

Shellac on cast iron. Who'da thought? Awesome.
"It needs waxed less often."

Michael Baglio