DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Keyless chuck removal (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/68007-keyless-chuck-removal.html)

Al September 6th 04 01:39 AM

Keyless chuck removal

I bought the Grizzly 18v 1/2" drill, G8597. Problem is the chuck loosens
when backing out screws in reverse and drops the bit. Griz Tech sent me a
new one within 2 days, great services. Now having a problem getting the old
one off. Took the screw out in the chuck but for the life of me I can't
break the threads loose to get it off.

Keyed chucks are easily removed by tapping the key, done it many times. How
the heck do I get the keyless off? Tried everything I can think of so the
solution must be too simple for my old mind..??

Help, Guys.
Al in WA

Joe_Stein September 6th 04 02:04 AM

Al wrote:

I bought the Grizzly 18v 1/2" drill, G8597. Problem is the chuck loosens
when backing out screws in reverse and drops the bit. Griz Tech sent me a
new one within 2 days, great services. Now having a problem getting the old
one off. Took the screw out in the chuck but for the life of me I can't
break the threads loose to get it off.

Keyed chucks are easily removed by tapping the key, done it many times. How
the heck do I get the keyless off? Tried everything I can think of so the
solution must be too simple for my old mind..??

Help, Guys.
Al in WA

I don't have an answer for you, but I'll be watching for any you may get
here. You see I have the very same drill. However, I don't have that
problem...yet...knock wood.
Good luck.
Joe

Russ September 6th 04 04:36 AM

put an allen wrench in chuck and hit it If that don't do it get an allen
wrench for use with a ratchet 3/8 drive and chuck it up and use an impact
wrench works every time just make sure you're turning it the right way and
good luck.

DanG September 6th 04 08:11 PM

Chuck up your largest Allen wrench. If 1 or 2 swats doesn't get
it, carefully position the Allen wrench between the open jaws of a
metal working vise. Let the Allen "handle" smack into the jaw of
the vise with drill in reverse.

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)