patrick conroy

Default DIY AirCleaner

Guts for $105.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...od e=AC465KIT

Good idea or bad idea???

I've got a small gara^H^H^H^Hshop that, oddly enough, resembles a single bay
of a garage. Wondering if this is an inexpensive way for someone with
assembly skills...

Dave Balderstone

In article , patrick conroy
wrote:

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...ore_Code=PSI&P
roduct_Code=AC465KIT

Why not scrounge an old furnace blower and build a box with a couple of
good filters on it?

I built mine that way. $20.

Tom Veatch

wrote:

Guts for $105.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...od e=AC465KIT

Good idea or bad idea???

I've got a small gara^H^H^H^Hshop that, oddly enough, resembles a single bay
of a garage. Wondering if this is an inexpensive way for someone with
assembly skills...

Please pardon the blank message - button finger is faster than the typing
finger.

In my opinion, it's a great idea - which may be why I did it. I didn't use this
kit. Instead I gathered the pieces and parts individually. However, I probably
would have used the 930 cfm kit had it been available at the time I built mine.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA
Patrick Fitzgerald

"patrick conroy" wrote in
:

Guts for $105.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...PROD&Store_Cod
e=PSI&Product_Code=AC465KIT

Good idea or bad idea???

I've got a small gara^H^H^H^Hshop that, oddly enough, resembles a
single bay of a garage. Wondering if this is an inexpensive way for
someone with assembly skills...

Doesn't look like such a great deal when you compare to:

Amazon.com: JET AFS-1000B / 708620B Air Filtration System ($189.00 no
shipping), comes with case, eyebolts, and remote control, and right now if
you spend another $10.99 in tools and hardware you will get $25 off,
bringing the total cost to $175.

So for the PennState kit, add the cost of plywood to build the case,
eyebolts to hang it, and labor, to the $105 + $10 shipping.

I don't know the relative performance of each unit, or if the PennState
comes with a remote control.

--
Patrick Fitzgerald
http://www.barelyfitz.com/homepages/...ld/woodworking

J. Clarke

patrick conroy wrote:

Guts for $105.

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...od e=AC465KIT

Good idea or bad idea???

I've got a small gara^H^H^H^Hshop that, oddly enough, resembles a single
bay of a garage. Wondering if this is an inexpensive way for someone with
assembly skills...

Take a run by Lowes and ask the manager what kind of price he can give you
on a Delta--they're discontinuing the Delta product line for some reason
and just about everything is heavily discounted.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
charlie b

patrick conroy wrote:

Guts for $105.
http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...od e=AC465KIT

Good idea or bad idea???

I've got a small gara^H^H^H^Hshop that, oddly enough, resembles a single bay
of a garage. Wondering if this is an inexpensive way for someone with
assembly skills...

How about a combo unit - air cleaner, outfeed table or bench top machine
base and down
draft sanding table using a free old furnace blower and some pleated
cartridge filters,
used truck filters can be had for free. Blow 'em out and they're good
to go.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/CBAirCleaner.html

charlie b
Patrick Fitzgerald

Patrick Fitzgerald wrote:

Amazon.com: JET AFS-1000B / 708620B Air Filtration System ($189.00 no
shipping), comes with case, eyebolts, and remote control, and right

now if
you spend another $10.99 in tools and hardware you will get $25 off,
bringing the total cost to $175.

Damn, I just checked Amazon and the price went up from $189 to $249.
And just when I had a $50 gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket.
--
Patrick Fitzgerald -- http://www.barelyfitz.com/wood