DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plans for a hidden bed (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/66137-plans-hidden-bed.html)

Jack August 20th 04 12:50 PM

Plans for a hidden bed

In our cottage we have one smaller bedroom where a full size double bed
overwhelms the room. I would like to make a bed that is a single size but
then would have a pull out bed underneath it should we need the second one.
It could also be a second single bed or make into a full size. Does anyone
know of plans for such a thing? I can be emailed at
Thanks

MrAoD August 22nd 04 02:46 PM

Jack"
Date: 8/20/2004 7:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time
In our cottage we have one smaller bedroom where a full size double bed
overwhelms the room. I would like to make a bed that is a single size but
then would have a pull out bed underneath it should we need the second one.
It could also be a second single bed or make into a full size. Does anyone
know of plans for such a thing? I can be emailed at

Thanks

DAGS "trundle bed" or "murphy bed" - either will solve your space issue.

Marc

Han August 22nd 04 03:51 PM

"Jack" wrote in :

In our cottage we have one smaller bedroom where a full size double
bed overwhelms the room. I would like to make a bed that is a single
size but then would have a pull out bed underneath it should we need
the second one. It could also be a second single bed or make into a
full size. Does anyone know of plans for such a thing? I can be
emailed at Thanks

We had beds like that. Solid oak, gave much service. We gave them to my
daughter, who's 32 now. We had those beds since, umm, she was 3 or 4.
It's now the granddaughter's. Unfortunately, the Charles Webb web site
http://www.charleswebbcidesigns.com does not show this bed anymore, but
you can sort of see the style there.

Basically, the "trundle bed" has legs that pivot in (see ASCII art ".")
and fold underneath. Simple wheels (o) then let you roll it underneath
the "real" bed.

====(.)================(.)====
/ \
o/ \o
/ \

The legs were joined on the short side of the bed by a beam, to make
folding easier and lend stability to the whole thing. The rails of the
bed had notches were mattress support was by means of slats parallel to
the short side of the bed. Put perf board over it and a mattress and off
you go!

If you would want me to, I could go over to my daughter's and make some
photos. I'm no good at drawing.
--
Best regards
Han

Todd August 23rd 04 02:02 PM

Jack,

My grandfather built me a bed years ago just like what you are
looking for. It was all made from plywood. Think of it as a super
short dresser with only one drawer.

When the drawer was closed, it was just an average twin bed. When
the drawer was pulled out, that effectively made it a double bed.

Only difference is the drawer that pulled out had a top ( hinged )
It would open up like somewhat like a diekens( sp ? ) bench and inside
it was storage for the foam ( for the pull out bed part ) and spare
sheets and pillows.

Hope it gives you some idea's

Todd