Old January 30th 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Remember SawStop? They gave up the market, now it's force....

On Saturday, March 29, 2003 at 7:07:25 PM UTC-6, edfan wrote:
Do you remember the SawStop - a device which sensed a change in the
resistance of the material being cut and STOPPED the blade in
milliseconds, the better to avoid injury? You recall the dramatic
demo for SawStop? They ran a hot dog into the whirling blade, the
SawStop device stopped the saw with barely a nick to the hot dog.
Think safety, think mangled fingers forever prevented, think Progress.

Even at the time, people mentioned they thought the royalties demanded
were so high and the potential liabilities so bankbreaking, there
might be trouble getting any tool manufacturer to adopt the device.
What would this lawyer do if they refused? I remember that people
wondered if the attorney who owned the patent wouldn't try to FORCE
companies to pay him by pushing for safety legislation setting
standards which, of course, no other device could meet.

Well, WATCH YOUR WALLETS - it's about to happen.

I was interested in the device, signed up at the company web site for
news. Today I got an email with an attached petition, "...we have
decided to petition the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to
require saw manufacturers to include something like SawStop on table
saws."

First they couldn't make manufacturers pay billions to make a device
that could explode their liabilities. When that failed, they set up a
company making saws that included the device. I guess they're not
making enough money from that, now they want to FORCE companies to pay
them off.

Get real, "something LIKE SawStop" means THEM, only THEM, not anybody
LIKE them. They mean to make an end run around the free market. What
they cannot persuade us to buy, they will SQUEEZE from us by
legislative coercion.

Can you IMAGINE what adding $150 "tax" would do to those who must buy
saws at the bottom of the market? Would YOU like to pay $150 extra for
your next saw, whtever level of the market you shop in? DO you think
Uncle Sugar needs to be your nanny to the point where they know better
than YOU do what dollar value you put on your safety?

I urge you to talk to fellow woodworkers about this rising danger to
our freedom of choice. I do not like Consumer Safety being used as a
ski mask to hide a holdup.

--

Well... here we are, 17 years later

Old January 31st 20, 12:16 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/30/2020 8:22 AM, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, and as I have said all along, you will not have to buy a SawStop
if you want to buy a TS. Although SawStop is dominating the market and
most people actually want the SawStop. I have owned the industrial
version for, Gulp, almost 7 years.
Old February 1st 20, 08:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 11:05:57 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

A few more years and I just might look at a SawStop "like" device.

I bought my only table saw for this lifetime a decade ago. Sawstop
was twice the price. Not an option.
Old February 2nd 20, 01:31 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

A few more years and I just might look at a SawStop "like" device.

I bought my only table saw for this lifetime a decade ago. Sawstop
was twice the price. Not an option.

My thought was their patent will be expiring in just a few years.
Old February 3rd 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 20:04:01 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 8:35:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:

wrote:

A few more years and I just might look at a SawStop "like" device.

I bought my only table saw for this lifetime a decade ago. Sawstop
was twice the price. Not an option.

My thought was their patent will be expiring in just a few years.

True, in fact I think it already has. My point is that the saw
(Unisaur) is already in my basement (and it was a cost decision). They
haven't invented a table saw fairy that's going zap it into a SawStop
either.

Feed it hot dogs and see what happens. Who knows?

Well, even I know that much. ;-)