Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishers' Q?

Time for base and casing to go back...Dad had taken down from dining
room and had early 1980s wainscot paneling and the matching baseboard
that will be going back to the original 10" baseboard and 5" casing to
match rest of house.

It is SYP and was stained very dark with (I think) a semi-transparent
and varnished to mask the very pronounced grain. I was not here when
that was done back then so don't have any info on what was used nor
exact process--I can see it was sprayed from a spot or two of overspray
that got missed in touchup.

Any suggestions for products and processes? There's old baseboard
available that's been out in the barn and have it back clean but will
need to match up with new material for the new entry.

I've never tried to mostly/totally mask grain this way so needing some
tips/instruction and, if possible, recommendations for specific products.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/27/2019 8:25 AM, dpb wrote:
Time for base and casing to go back...Dad had taken down from dining
room and had early 1980s wainscot paneling and the matching baseboard
that will be going back to the original 10" baseboard and 5" casing to
match rest of house.

It is SYP and was stained very dark with (I think) a semi-transparent
and varnished to mask the very pronounced grain.Â* I was not here when
that was done back then so don't have any info on what was used nor
exact process--I can see it was sprayed from a spot or two of overspray
that got missed in touchup.

Any suggestions for products and processes?Â* There's old baseboard
available that's been out in the barn and have it back clean but will
need to match up with new material for the new entry.

I've never tried to mostly/totally mask grain this way so needing some
tips/instruction and, if possible, recommendations for specific products.

So, neither of you, Leon/Robert have any words of wisdom here?

Surely _sometime_ you've had a client ask to match something similar...

VBG

--dpb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/1/2019 2:32 PM, dpb wrote:
On 9/27/2019 8:25 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

I detest trying to match a finish so I try not to. ;~)

My comment is always to use a color to compliment the existing color.
If you try to match and miss, it looks like you tried and missed.

That said, If it were me I would consider painting the trim a color to
match. Take a
sample to the paint store and let them match the color.